cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Dodge Cummins 48RE to G56/Auto to Manual Swap Complete

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Christmas! I thought some of you may find this interesting if you've been considering a 6 speed in your common-rail Cummins.

I finished swapping my 2005 from a 48RE to a G56 6 speed last month.

I still have to splice the wires that control the reverse lights in the transmission harness and splice it into the G56 connector, but other than that everything works flawlessly. I will wait until it warms up in the spring to tackle the reverse light issue.

I didn't take a whole lot of photos during the process, mainly because I was taking video along the way. At the bottom of this post you will find a link to the 40 minute Youtube video that is a compilation of all the video and "How-To" I did during the swap.

I hope that Iโ€™ve refined a couple dozen hours of research into a single post and am going to present it FAQ style. I hope this information is of value to someone.

Disclaimer:
My swap was taking parts from a late 2005 4x4 with a manual transfer case and putting them into a late 2005 4x4 with a manual transfer case. If you mix up years this information may differ quite a bit. Do thorough research before diving in to this swap. The project as a whole is fairly labor intensive but not impossibleโ€ฆ.. Itโ€™s not slaying a dragon, itโ€™s more like killing 10,000 lizards.

Why didnโ€™t you just build the auto?
Iโ€™ve always preferred manual transmissions and loathed automatics. Iโ€™ve disliked the auto in this truck since the first day I bought it.... it's probably the biggest automotive mistake of my life. I didnโ€™t like how much the converter slips and I didnโ€™t like how tall 1st gear is. I wanted a 3rd pedal and full control over my gear choice. I don't race or tractor pull with my truck. It's staying stock and all I use it for is towing and hauling my slide-in camper.

Why not just sell the truck and buy one with a 6 speed?
I looked for quite a while, and finding one in the condition in which Iโ€™ve kept this one, and/or doesnโ€™t have a pile of miles, and/or isnโ€™t beat to******proved to be nearly impossible.

OK, then why not sell it and upgrade to a newer truck w/ a 6 speed?
For what I could sell my truck, it would have cost me another $5,000 to $10,000 to get into a 6 speed truck in the 08-10 range w/ under 100k miles kept in the same as condition my truck. Swapping made the best financial sense.

Why a G56 instead of a NV5600? I hear bad things about the G56.
Several reasons, but the biggest was the G56 is what "fell into my lap". Had the same deal come available with an NV, I would have went that route.

I did still prefer the G56 over the NV, mainly because NV is no longer in business, and rebuild parts for the 5600 are only available as Asian cheapos. Couple that with with the newest used one is now 10 years old and it makes it much more difficult to rebuild it. Since Mercedes still makes the G56 today, OEM rebuild parts are readily available and low mileage couple-year-old used ones are as well.

The G56 is plenty strong, and most guys using them for stock towing/hauling applications as I am never have an issue. They get a bad rap from the guys who have 600hp and are doing boosted 3rd gear launches with them. I also think a major part of the failures that people do see has to do with the ATF+4 oil recommended by Chrysler. I think (and research would concour) if you use a proper synthetic manual transmission 50W or 75W90 gear oil, as Mercedes recommends, and overfill it by a quart, you significantly increase the transmission's reliability and longevity. (Refer to Lubrication section below)

I was also not hating the 100 pounds less weight when installing the transmission. The G56 was heavy enough to handle, the extra 100lbs of cast iron that an NV has would have sucked that much more.

Length & Drivelines:
The 48RE is approx. 27โ€ The G56 29โ€. Because of this you will need to either swap front drivelines with one out of a G56 or have 2โ€ added to it. The rear driveline will need to be swapped out of a truck with the same configuration truck, or have 2โ€ removed. I had 2โ€ removed from mine and it was proably ?โ€ to ยผโ€ too much. Youโ€™re safe to go 1.75โ€ to 2โ€ on your length adjustment.

Engine Adapter plate:
The G56 bolts up to the same engine adapter plate as the 48RE. No need to swap this. I have read if you swap in a NV5600 you either need a starter spacer or to swap the adapter plates.

Transfer case
The G56 output is 29 spline. The 48RE is 23. You will either need to change transfer cases or open up your transfer case and put in a 29-spline input shaft. The shift linkage for the transfer case has the 2โ€ of adjustment necessary for the longer transmission, just loosen the bolt, adjust and re-tighten.

Crossmember
The good rule of thumb is that when you get the transmission, get the crossmember for it. All of the 06 and newer (and I believe some of the late late 2005) came with a crossmember that has 3-bolt slots in it, and the G56 had a 3-slot mount. The Mid 05 G56 (Earliest G56) had a 2-bolt mount that uses a 2-bolt crossmember seen in the 03-early/mid 05s did. Just pay attention to thisโ€ฆ. you donโ€™t want to have a 2-bolt crossmember and get your transmission with a 3-bolt mount or the other way around.
Mine was the 2005 2-bolt crossmember:

Pedals:
Dodge put the hanger for the clutch pedal in all of the trucks. You only need to swap the brake pedals for one with the narrow pad and install the clutch pedal. Make sure you get all 4 bushings, the pins and clips to hang the pedal correctly

Clutch Hydraulics:
The mounting location for the hydraulic master cylinder on the firewall is in place on the automatic trucks, there is just a knock-out plug on the firewall that needs to be removed and the master cylinder bolts right in.

ECM:
Iโ€™ve read that the truck will run with the automatic program in the ECM, but thereโ€™s a few annoyance issues like honking when the door is open and check engine lights if this is done. The best bet is to either swap ECMs or have your ECM flashed. You can have a dealer do it or you can use a Smarty programmer. You can even borrow a smarty as you have to un-VIN-lock the Smarty before you can load the recovery file on it. This is what I did. Once you load the factory 6-speed recovery file, the PRND21 indicator on the dash goes away and the computer has no idea the truck was ever an automatic and throws no check engine light.

Shifter & Interior
The column shifter and cable for the automatic comes out with relative ease. You will need to swap the steering column shroud cover with one out of a manual. You will need to cut a hole in the floor for the shift tower. This is the most troublesome and emotionally stressing part of the swapโ€ฆ.. cutting the carpet and sheet metal in your precious truck. Just. Do. It. It is so worth it. You will want to use the rubber boot from the shifter as a template for the hole size in the carpet and sheet metal. You will need to delete your fold-down cup holder and replace it with the floor console/cup holders out of one from a manual

Electrical
You will want to keep the wiring harness from the automatic and just tie it up out of the way as you will need several wires on it. A two-wire plug goes into the transfer case and actuates the 4WD indicator light on the dash, and two are for the reverse lights. Additionally, one (Yellow w/ blue trace), which you can get from either the harness or under the hood, will need to tapped into for the clutch safety switch to ground. This is necessary to give you the safety feature of not being able to start the truck without the clutch pedal fully depressed. You can also use a custom momentary switch hidden on/under the dash for added security, but you will not have feature of the cruise being cancelled when you press the clutch pedal which could lead to an overrev situation. At the time of this writing, I have not successfully got the reverse lights working. I am still researching a solution to this.

Misc:
Replace the cheap parts that are hard to access while you have everything out -- rear main seal on the back of the engine and any other issues you may see, and if youโ€™re using a good condition used clutch change out the throw-out-bearing and pilot bearing. Also, prepare to improvise, regroup, stop and do some research then come back to it. Donโ€™t be afraid to ask questions and donโ€™t put an unrealistic deadline on the project. Figure that, like most automotive projects, it is going to cost you twice as much and take 3 times as long as you think.

Lubricants:
This is a topic of great controversy, and there are as many opinions as there are people. I will tell you my research and the opinion and reasoning I decided on. The general consensus is that the ATF+4 that Dodge/Chrysler recommends is not a good plan. Lots of guys run Delvac 50 synthetic manual transmission oil, and that seems to be a very good oil. It is very thick and the climate in which I live (Eastern Montana -- spells of -40 in the winter and 100+ in the summer) and what I use the truck for (Almost exclusively hauling/towing) i decided to go with Red Line 75w90 synthetic manual transmission oil. I chose this because looking at a viscosity chart, the thin end of the multi-viscosity oil is lighter than ATF when cold making shifts easier in extreme cold weather, and the 90w is thicker than the Delvac 50 when warm. And due to the planetary gear set for the low-range in the transfer case, I did run the factory recommended synthetic ATF+4 in the transfer case. Some guys run a blend of Delvac and thinner oil. The long and short is that you need to do your own research, develop your own opinion and run what works best for you, your driving style, and your climate. Additionally, the general consensus is to overfill the G56 by 1 quart (7 quarts total) for added oiling of the front end of the transmission. My transfer case took 2.5 quarts of ATF+4.

Read this thread: MB G56-6 Mercedes Benz Factory Fill - NOT ATF+4!! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Cost:
The cost on this swap can vary widely on your ability to find deals on parts. If you buy all new parts without a core transmission and pay a shop to do all the labor itโ€™s could run $10,000 or more. If you find someone to trade with and do all the labor yourself it can cost less than $1000. If you wheel and deal on used parts, sell your old stuff you can do it in the $2000-3000 range.
I have about $1450 into this swap by the time I paid the guy with whom I traded the difference in core trans price and for the Southbend dual disk clutch with upgraded hydraulics, shipping, a few odds and ends parts and oil. The trade agreement for the rest of the parts was straight up trade. Below is my rundown of costs:

Trans difference in core price between 48RE and G56: $500
Used Southbend dual-disk, dual-friction clutch w/ flywheel & upgraded hydraulics: $400
ยฝ of shipping: $200
Replacement shift-tower boot: $16
Shorten rear driveline: $130
New throw out bearing, pilot bearing and 10 spline alignment tool: $80
7qts Red Line 75W90 & 3 qts Synthetic ATF+4: $120
Total: $1,446

I also had about a hundred bucks into various tools that I didnโ€™t have already and supplies

Can I really do it?
If you have moderate mechanical & electrical skill and ability, tools found in any garage or that can easily bought, rented or borrowed and a space to do it, the answer is yes. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being youโ€™ve never changed your own oil and 10 being youโ€™ve been a mechanic for 30 years, I would say this the skill level required for this is a 5 or 6. You should be an experienced home mechanic to attempt this. I would say that my skill level is a solid 6, and I did this project in my unheated, un-insulated, dirt-floor pole barn in using 4x8 sheets of OSB with which to roll around on the creeper. A heated shop with a vehicle lift would have made this project much easier. All in all, it took me about 30 hours from start to finish to do this from loosening the first bolt at the start and tightening the last at the finish. I did all of the labor almost entirely by myself, except for installing the transmission and transfer case. An extra set of hands on this step is pretty much necessary. I probably spent another 40 hours or more reading and researching this project prior to turning a wrench. I started researching the project in April, started accumulating parts in August and September. Since I did a long-distance parts-for-parts trade, pulled the trigger on disassembly in October and finished up reassembly in November.

What tools will I need:
Transmission jack, floor jack set of metric and SAE wrenches, sockets, ratchets, extensions, u-joints of various sizes (Air tools help greatly!!), screw drivers, pry bars, good sheet metal cutting tools, a good creeperโ€ฆ. basically the array of tools an experienced home mechanic would already have. Youโ€™ll also need a Smarty (either bought or borrowed) to load the recovery flash into the ECM, and a laptop or tablet to reference back to the online research when you forget specifics.
Most tools that I used are from Harbor Freight. We all know theyโ€™re not high-quality but for the home garage they should suffice if youโ€™re on a budget.

In conclusion:
Dodge built these trucks to be equipped with either a manual or automatic, so the swap is not terribly difficult. If youโ€™ve got mechanical aptitude, a good set of tools, some patience, the testicular fortitude to cut a hole in your floorboard, and the unrestrained desire to keep your left foot and right hand from getting bored in your truck. Do this swap. It is so worth it.

How To Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTbcbGHnSlw
1994 S&S 9.5' SC-B, StableLift, 2x6V golf cart batteries, LED interior lights
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW CTD 48RE to G56 6-speed conversion, Quadzilla 65HP Chip
20 REPLIES 20

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Nice swap!

I have an 05 with a NV5600 and there are times I would like the .79 OD better, but oh well.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
4xMike wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,
A very impressive task...

Having said that we had a 05 RAM with a manual tranny that was used to pull large fertilizer tanks in the fields and large gooseneck cattle trailers in the pastures. This was our first manual tranny equiped truck for this application and although we didn't have problems with the tranny itself, it was our opinion the clutch wasn't going to live a long life. Now having said that getting heavy loads moving on pavement is a lot easier than soft plowed field or wet/soft pastures and you simply could not "let out the clutch".

I've heard the stock clutches, especially the dual-mass flywheel ones are junk. That is why I went ahead and put in the lightly used Southbend dual-disk clutch from the guy I traded with. Thing's rated for 750hp, so it's barely stretching with my almost stock truck. The clutch should live a long time in my application..... once I get used to the grabby-ness of the ceramic half of it ๐Ÿ™‚

Chances are it won't last any longer. Depending on the clutch and what it's designed for. If you have the same one I had, you won't get use to it. HAHA!! It is designed to rev and dump. :W

If and when the clutch goes bad, keep the Dual Disk and change to organic driven disk. Mine works great and I daily drive on all kinds of traffic. I still read and accelerate.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe my next truck will be one of the newer 850+ ft lbs Cummins trucks, then swap in a 13 speed Eaton Fuller Road Ranger. ๐Ÿ™‚

You might have some interested customers waiting for that swap besides yourself.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Just curious, when you reflashed the computer did it change the horsepower and torque values. The newer Cummins with the manual are rated lower than the automatics. In fact I think it is around 660 torque for the manual and 850+ for the Aisin in the new ones. I wonder if that difference is all software and if it affected your '05 from 610 torque stock to a lesser value when you did the reflash to a manual box.

I also like manuals espeially for towing in the mountains, just not sure they are worth 200+/- foot pounds torque difference in the new trucks. I can't remember if the '05's had any stock torque/hp difference between the auto and the manual.

The max "rated" input torque spec for the g56 is 660ftlbs. The 5.9s rated at 610 ft lbs were not detuned to my knowledge. I haven't noticed any difference in seat-of-the-pants feeling of power either.

If I recall correctly they didn't start de tuning them for the manual until the 6.7 came out with >660ftlbs.

Maybe my next truck will be one of the newer 850+ ft lbs Cummins trucks, then swap in a 13 speed Eaton Fuller Road Ranger. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW CTD 48RE to G56 6-speed conversion, Quadzilla 65HP Chip

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious, when you reflashed the computer did it change the horsepower and torque values. The newer Cummins with the manual are rated lower than the automatics. In fact I think it is around 660 torque for the manual and 850+ for the Aisin in the new ones. I wonder if that difference is all software and if it affected your '05 from 610 torque stock to a lesser value when you did the reflash to a manual box.

I also like manuals espeially for towing in the mountains, just not sure they are worth 200+/- foot pounds torque difference in the new trucks. I can't remember if the '05's had any stock torque/hp difference between the auto and the manual.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
4xMike wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,

Having said that we had a 05 RAM with a manual tranny that was used to pull large fertilizer tanks in the fields and large gooseneck cattle trailers in the pastures. This was our first manual tranny equiped truck for this application and although we didn't have problems with the tranny itself, it was our opinion the clutch wasn't going to live a long life. Now having said that getting heavy loads moving on pavement is a lot easier than soft plowed field or wet/soft pastures and you simply could not "let out the clutch".

I've heard the stock clutches, especially the dual-mass flywheel ones are junk. That is why I went ahead and put in the lightly used Southbend dual-disk clutch from the guy I traded with. Thing's rated for 750hp, so it's barely stretching with my almost stock truck. The clutch should live a long time in my application..... once I get used to the grabby-ness of the ceramic half of it ๐Ÿ™‚

Chances are it won't last any longer. Depending on the clutch and what it's designed for. If you have the same one I had, you won't get use to it. HAHA!! It is designed to rev and dump. :W
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Great detail on the write-up. Thanks for posting.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I'm just curious, did you ever drive it with the new manual trans and the auto trans ECM configuration?
If so did the you have to give it a little throttle to launch or where you able to just let the clutch out like one does normally with a manual Cummins?

I didn't. I flashed the ECM before I ever started it.

This guy did a test on the jacks with the auto ECM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO9dleI2QBQ Warning: Turn your volume down ๐Ÿ™‚

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm just curious, did you ever drive it with the new manual trans and the auto trans ECM configuration?
If so did the you have to give it a little throttle to launch or where you able to just let the clutch out like one does normally with a manual Cummins?

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job sir! I'm sure you've perked interest in many with this post.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
4xMike wrote:
... the unrestrained desire to keep your left foot and right hand from getting bored in your truck. Do this swap. It is so worth it.

Congrats, job well done! Way more than I'd bite off. Thankfully I drive with two feet already. Kids are grown so I still need to find something to do with my "don't make me reach back there hand".
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I didn't see it mentioned and gotta' ask but which year model G56 did you go with.
The newer G56 behind the 6.7 have different gear ratios and the DMF.

I have a '03 with the NV5600. The inline 6 cyl Cummins/Jacobs and the 6 speed manual tranny is the sweetest set up for serious hauling (commercial) I've ever had.

It was out of an 05 so it's got the shorter 0.79:1 6th gear resulting in higher revs, but it doesn't seem to affect mileage -- in fact everything that I've been reading indicates just having less parasitic loss in the manual improves mileage 2mpg on the highway. I have too few miles on it thus far to know how the mileage is looking for me. The G56(AE) out of the later 6.7's have a 0.74:1 6th

The guy I traded with had already upgraded to a Southbend dual-disk dual friction SMF clutch with low miles, so I went ahead and just put that clutch into my truck so I didn't have to deal with the DMF, thankfully. Although, it's half-ceramic so it can get kind of grabby if I'm trying to ease into anything with any kind of slip. I'm getting used to it now after a month.

rhagfo wrote:
When my NV4500 gives up OR I find a sweet deal on a G56 I will do it to my 01! The 5 speed has a big jump from 3rd to 4th would to have that extra gear!

GREAT JOB!

I like the gear splits on the G56. Seems great for towing a heavy load (which I have yet to do with my new setup) It should be a much easier swap for you than going from an auto to a manual. Probably just the trans mount, adjusting driveline length if the lengths vary at all and adapter plate, starter and flywheel/clutch. Looks like it has the same output spline count for as the G56