cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB Camper Wet Weight Label - Even Close?

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB camper. The label in the closet says it weighs 2335lbs wet (32 gals of water, two propane tanks, two batteries, etc.) then lists the weights for the options. This one has all options except the generation. I get a total wet weight of 2654lbs.

That seems low for wet weight. Has anyone else weighed their BF camper and compared it to the label? Yes, I know many say the label is a lie, but BF appears to have picked a specific number for the lie (if true!) Maybe the older BF campers were lighter?

I plan on calling BF in the morning and forcing them to confess but I wanted to see if anyone else had some hard numbers against the wet label.

Regards,

Terry
2005 Chevrolet 3500 SRW 4X4 LB/CC D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog
56 REPLIES 56

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boy howdy….I really need to have the type of concerns in life that allow me enough time to not only actually care what my truck camper weighs, but to try and dissect why it weighs what it does…..
Almost like arguing about batteries….
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to pay to get the RVIA standards, but I believe the RVIA specifies how weight information is provided. The labeling seems very similar from one manufacturer to another.

It seems there is no requirement to actually weigh the unit as built. Car and truck manufacturers don't do that either. Instead labels include the weight of a "standard" unit. Often the wet weight is also listed based on a full fresh water tank and full propane tanks, along with the standard batteries. Labels also include specs for the options included, but not the actual total.

Dealer added options are not included. In my case that was 2 solar panels and oversized AGM batteries. Hold down bracket systems are not included. User upgrades are not included. In my case the big two were a generator and an upgraded foam mattress that was much heavier than the original mattress.

"Personal" items are another major, major issue. Personal items can easily top a thousand or even two thousand pounds. Included would be drinks, food, kitchen and cooking gear, tools, extension cords, hobby gear, chairs, BBQ grill and fuel, clothing, bedding, towels, cosmetics, first aid kit, etc, etc.

So if the label says 2400# wet, then add the accessories/upgrades. Those can easily total another 500-1000 or more pounds. Plus personal items and the grand total can easily exceed 4400#. Those are close to the numbers for my TC, a 9.5 Northstar Igloo. Mine is 18 years old and weights have increased since then.

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I couldn't get my head in the closet of my 9.4 where the sticker is and focus through my bifocals, so I took a pic.
Here's what it says:
Camper weight is 2450 lbs. when it contains standard equipment.32 gallons of water 40lbs. 40lbs of bottled gas.6.0 cubic ft refrigerator.
Optional equipment: Box awning 44 lbs. Air conditioner 75 lbs. Dual propane tanks 20 lbs. Electric jacks 22.5 lbs. Generator ready 22 lbs. Jack brackets 22 lbs. Microwave oven 30 lbs. Oven 49 lb s. Thermal windows 45 lbs.
Leaving out the gen prep the total is 2757.5.

Thanks TxGearhead, I appreciate you actually looking. We saw a third 9.4 online with very similar numbers. Once I pick it up I'll head to the cat scales.

So you are saying that the wet label shows 2757.5lbs and it really weights 4106lbs with zero changes and nothing added? The label was literally wrong by 1348.5 lbs? Off is one thing but that's wrong by a 1/3 or 50% heavier than the label.

TK
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:

I know what your saying my 5th has 68 gal, the camper has 35. by myself I cam make that 35 last more than a week, if the wife is with me were down to a long weekend :B

My wife knows that conversing water can be important. We might be camped an hour or two from any place to refill. If so, we get by on about 5 gallons per day with showers, drinking, cooking and cleaning the dishes. If we both take showers and she washes her hair, that is about 5 1/2 gallons for the day. If we don't take a daily shower, then the use is about 3 gallons. She is better at washing dishes with little water than I am.

We both remember the good old days of tent camping with one or two 5 gallon jugs of water to last the week.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
My 9' Arctic Fox was over 42 gallons. The tanks seem small when you go from toy hauler to truck camper like we did. My Weekend Warrior had two 75 gallon fresh tanks. Now, I carry an additional 84 gallons in my enclosed trailer for extended boon bocking.

I know what your saying my 5th has 68 gal, the camper has 35. by myself I cam make that 35 last more than a week, if the wife is with me were down to a long weekend :B
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Atchafalaya_man
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great review of the 2019 year model version of the 25C9.4SB. Bigfoot does put some brains into most every aspect of their designs.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/2019-bigfoot-25c9-4sb-review/

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't get my head in the closet of my 9.4 where the sticker is and focus through my bifocals, so I took a pic.
Here's what it says:
Camper weight is 2450 lbs. when it contains standard equipment.32 gallons of water 40lbs. 40lbs of bottled gas.6.0 cubic ft refrigerator.
Optional equipment: Box awning 44 lbs. Air conditioner 75 lbs. Dual propane tanks 20 lbs. Electric jacks 22.5 lbs. Generator ready 22 lbs. Jack brackets 22 lbs. Microwave oven 30 lbs. Oven 49 lb s. Thermal windows 45 lbs.
Leaving out the gen prep the total is 2757.5.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
My 9' Arctic Fox was over 42 gallons. The tanks seem small when you go from toy hauler to truck camper like we did. My Weekend Warrior had two 75 gallon fresh tanks. Now, I carry an additional 84 gallons in my enclosed trailer for extended boon bocking.

It's all perspective. My fresh tank is a whopping 18 gallons and I can make it last a week.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
I admit I carry what I want now with my larger truck and don't worry about weight but rather bulk. But I have a floor to ceiling pantry, 40 cu ft basement and 65 gallons of water in my truck camper before I even start filling the encled boxes on the flat bed.

65 gal in a truck camper wow thats amazing.. or have I just never noticed the larger capacitys yet.. biggest I have seen is 45.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Atchafalaya_man wrote:

"Camper weight is 3324 Maximum when it contains standard equipment, 46 gallons of water, 56 pounds bottled gas, 6 cubic feet refrigerator. Consult Owners Manual (or data sheet as applicable) for weights of additional or optional equipment."

you know its pretty sad, this used to be the wet weight, read the statment again so standard equipment which is everything you need to go camping, full fresh water and propane and refrigerant charge. so realy all you would add is battery weight and your stuff. my 1991 slumberqueen was for the most part dead on and now is 120 lbs heavier with my solare system and LFP batteries.

No I know there are a lot of "mandatory packages" now days that add between 400 and 800lbs" but the brochurs say that so they shouldn't be a surprise at all. I don't nee AC on my camper so I wont have that as a aditional weight when I buy a new one but thats the way I use it that allows me not to have one. I like what bigfoot is doing with the hand written wet weight leaving the factory, although it can vary from the advertised weight aparenty its not by much as it is mainly to take up any diffeences in the fiberglass process and to acount for optional items, so you realy should have a good idea anyways of what its going to be around when your ordering.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bedlam
We just had that same little yellow toy in Birch Bay, WA this past weekend. That MN trip, I already had the Ram 5500 but was still carrying my Arctic Fox 811 which is about 2000 lbs lighter than my current Host Mammoth.

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
Atchafalaya_man wrote:
The 'brochure weight' was 2900 pounds. A sticker inside a cabinet door reads:

"Camper weight is 3324 Maximum when it contains standard equipment, 46 gallons of water, 56 pounds bottled gas, 6 cubic feet refrigerator. Consult Owners Manual (or data sheet as applicable) for weights of additional or optional equipment."

Other stickers reads in part:

"Camper weight is ....3707 pounds with factory installed optional equipment in excess of 20 pounds. This weight does not include equipment under 20 pounds...... Consult data sheet....bla bla."

Dealer installed two batteries (110 pounds) plus who knows what for a possible admitted to, 3957 pounds.

We added solar panels, carpet, folding steps, shelving mods, etc. and only then did we load bottled water, pots/pans, clothes and food, etc.

Our current Lance 1181 claims to be about 3600 pounds 'dry' yet we find the same stickers in the cabinet admitting to 4690 pounds before we we add our things to reach the 5200 at which it scales.

Different brands may do it differently so weigh up, fess up. 🙂

While we were camper shopping, I ignored any and all brochure dry weights. I only used wet camper specific weights for comparison. It was often a pain getting the dealer or owner to go actually look for the wet weight label. Many never knew there was one. We got lots of "oh, it about XXXX pounds" (wrong) or they would quote the brochure. If they wouldn't go look we moved on.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

Atchafalaya_man
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I admit I carry what I want now with my larger truck and don't worry about weight but rather bulk. But I have a floor to ceiling pantry, 40 cu ft basement and 65 gallons of water in my truck camper before I even start filling the encled boxes on the flat bed.

Peter, that 5500 Ram you had at the 2016 Midwest TC & Friends Rally in Minnesota didn't even know it had your camper on it, nor that trailer loaded with your sand wagon, et al.

In the link below is a report on the rally and a picture of you next to the sand wagon.

https://midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com/past-years-events/2016-events/2016-mwtc-rally/

Bedlam