cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins - $11k for 200k miles?

draknor
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all!

New to the forums, new to the idea of RV-life, but eager to get started! I'll post an intro post in the beginner's forum later, but wanting to get some opinions here on a potential tow vehicle.

First, let me say i've tried to do my homework:
- Researched tow vehicles, trailers, and 5ers a bit online
- Browsed, searched, and read a bunch on the forums here

We don't have an RV selected yet, but we're likely looking at 26-32' TT (or possibly light 5er). Hoping to pick up something used in the $15k range, with the goal of cross-country full-timing for a year starting this fall. I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself by looking at TVs, but what can I say - I'm excited 🙂

I'm looking primarily at the 2003-2007 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ 5.9L Cummins - also looking to spend around $15k for the TV - and these seem to be in that range (and lets me avoid the DPF/EGR issues of the 08+), and there's a fair number of them around (I'd rather get a 3500 SRW if I can find one around here, but they are pretty rare).

Ok - on to my real question! Most of the vehicles in this age/price range have 150k-200k. One that I want to go test-drive this weekend is an '06 with 195k for 11k (Megacab 2WD auto). I emailed the dealer - it was a trade-in and he has no history (service or otherwise) on it.

What kinds of things should I be looking for when evaluating vehicles of this vintage?
- Some have said looking for holes/rails indicating 5er usage
- Others have said don't touch a plow vehicle (plenty of those in the upper midwest!)
- Look at overall condition (pictures look good, will know more when I see it in person)

What about stuff like transmission condition, injectors, u-joints, hips, etc? Are those things a mechanic can evaluate the condition of, or am I just rolling the dice? What are the big-ticket items to evaluate & watch out for?

(I expect to have a mechanic look at anything before I buy, but as I go farther afield I'll be dealing with shops I have no experience / relationship with)

Note: Unless I find a really good deal on a 3500 SRW, I don't expect to buy before finding a TT/5er, or at least really narrowing down our options to a short list
Beulah: '04 HitchHiker Discover America 31.5 LKTG
Beast: '07 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab SRW w/ 5.9 Cummins
46 REPLIES 46

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sport45 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
draknor wrote:
OP reporting in - unfortunately my youthful optimism met with some harsh reality today.

Went to the used car guy to check out the truck; they had it hidden away in the back corner of the lot. Looked pretty nice sitting there, so I went inside for the keys. Turns out it has some kind of rattling sound so they weren't letting anyone test-drive it -- it's going to the mechanic on Monday. Uh-oh - not a good sign.

Got the key to at least check out the interior - not terrible, but more used than I had been led to believe from the photos. The driver's chair was fairly worn, the 60-side of the 60/40 rear seat appeared to be in perpetual-recline mode, minor scratches & dings on the upholstery & interior. Did an external walkaround - couple dings on the rear bumper, front chrome-colored plastic grill was broke in a couple of places.

Cosmetically, nothing show-stopping, but not particularly compelling, either.
Gave the guy my number, will be curious to hear what his mechanic says; but I'm thinking this is a dead-end road.

All was not lost, however -- test drove an '08 Ram 2500 Megacab 4WD gasser at the Dodge dealer. Only 1-owner, was in GREAT shape inside & out. Fully decked out (sunroof, nav, rear-seat DVD, Line-x bed coating + topper). Asking $19k w/ 160k on it. Might have to keep an eye on that one - but only 8400 lbs towing capacity, so would want to make sure find an acceptable TT first before committing to that one.

Couple of other positive things today:
- Definitely like the Megacab. Little one's car seat doesn't really fit in a Quadcab.
- Got some quality time with DW while driving around to talk about our goals, financials, etc. Had a busy schedule this week so didn't get much chance to do that during the week.

We've got plenty of time to search, so not in any rush. The search continues... 🙂

Sounds like the first truck w/200k miles is toast and I would pass on it.

Also the 08 was the first year of the 6.7 with DPF and those were plagued with problems. I would pass on it as well if it's going to be used as a daily driver around town.

Good luck...

Fish you are slacking!

07.5 was the introduction oh theMighty 6.7 RAM not 08.

You're both slacking!

The '08 he mentioned is a gasser.

I was just correcting Fish as usual.

1-1-2007 introduction of RAM's 6,7 Cummins Diesel.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
draknor wrote:
OP reporting in - unfortunately my youthful optimism met with some harsh reality today.

Went to the used car guy to check out the truck; they had it hidden away in the back corner of the lot. Looked pretty nice sitting there, so I went inside for the keys. Turns out it has some kind of rattling sound so they weren't letting anyone test-drive it -- it's going to the mechanic on Monday. Uh-oh - not a good sign.

Got the key to at least check out the interior - not terrible, but more used than I had been led to believe from the photos. The driver's chair was fairly worn, the 60-side of the 60/40 rear seat appeared to be in perpetual-recline mode, minor scratches & dings on the upholstery & interior. Did an external walkaround - couple dings on the rear bumper, front chrome-colored plastic grill was broke in a couple of places.

Gave the guy my number, will be curious to hear what his mechanic says; but I'm thinking this is a dead-end road.

All was not lost, however -- test drove an '08 Ram 2500 Megacab 4WD gasser at the Dodge dealer. Only 1-owner, was in GREAT shape inside & out. Fully decked out (sunroof, nav, rear-seat DVD, Line-x bed coating + topper). Asking $19k w/ 160k on it. Might have to keep an eye on that one - but only 8400 lbs towing capacity, so would want to make sure find an acceptable TT first before committing to that one.

- Definitely like the Megacab. Little one's car seat doesn't really fit in a Quadcab.
- Got some quality time with DW while driving around to talk about our goals, financials, etc. Had a busy schedule this week so didn't get much chance to do that during the week.

We've got plenty of time to search, so not in any rush. The search continues... 🙂

Also the 08 was the first year of the 6.7 with DPF and those were plagued with problems. I would pass on it as well if it's going to be used as a daily driver around town.

Good luck...

Fish you are slacking!

You're both slacking!
The '08 he mentioned is a gasser.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
draknor wrote:

Good luck...

Fish you are slacking!

'08 was the first full year... :B

And yes the +07.5 mighty 6.7 cummins had the same problems. :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
draknor wrote:

Good luck...

Fish you are slacking!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
jwduke wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
I The auto trans. is the worst part of that truck.

Think again! The 48RE is a pretty good transmission with regular service. I think you are stuck on the automatics offered in the earlier Dodges.

Check it out, they ALL (Dodge, GM, and Ford) have had their share of problems with their automatic transmissions!

Your right they all had their share, but the 48RE is by far the worst.

I've been pushing over 450 hp through my 48RE for years towing well over it's rating with no problems. I would say that it's pretty tough my self. They don't have the best programming but they are tough.;)

Getting off topic but I drove 250,000 miles with my 47RE (97 CTD). The Cummins has had a No. 8 torque plate for many years, so that adds easily 50HP to the original 180HP. Shortly after doing the power upgrade I started worrying about the transmission so I did several improvements to it, in that order:
- install are BD Pressure-Lock kit to maintain high pressure at high torque/low RPM
- replace original TC with billet TC
- replace cooler lines (important maintenance)
- replace solenoid and governor transducer (?) and install the Transgo shiftkit in the valve body (should have done this a very long time ago)

The transmission works flawlessly. I have a light foot, am the only driver of this vehicle and pay very close attention to the RPM and engine lugging while cruise control is on, disabling it anytime I go up an incline.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

draknor
Explorer
Explorer
@bfast54 - I started doing some research on Fords, and sounds like the 7.3 Powerstroke is another great engine, so I've started checking out listings for '00-'03 For F250 Superduty Crew Cabs. Definitely easier to find in my preferred price range, given the age.
Beulah: '04 HitchHiker Discover America 31.5 LKTG
Beast: '07 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab SRW w/ 5.9 Cummins

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
jwduke wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

Think again! The 48RE is a pretty good transmission with regular service. I think you are stuck on the automatics offered in the earlier Dodges.

Check it out, they ALL (Dodge, GM, and Ford) have had their share of problems with their automatic transmissions!

I've been pushing over 450 hp through my 48RE for years towing well over it's rating with no problems. I would say that it's pretty tough my self. They don't have the best programming but they are tough.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
why would any body buy a truck with 200k on it, the motor might run but the rest of the truck is worn out, every bolt weld etc on the truck is worn out.

I bought a 7.3 Powerstroke....with just under 300,000....I have the complete service history,D.O.T. every year....all maint logs, it has a new trans, all new injectors....New Clutch.....Used as a business truck.

It was exactully what I wanted...and a steal because it is a Dually,Crew 2 Wheel long bed.

No one else wanted it, and its Perfect for ONLY hauling my 5er
Body has NO RUST hardly ever driven in winter by the way.
Thats why!!!!
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
Fish you missed the gasser part of his post. The 08 megacab has a hemi.

Then I would consider it...

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

LMAO
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
draknor wrote:

Good luck...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
jwduke wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

jwduke
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

'04 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 w/CTD
'03 Hitchhiker II 31RLBG