cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 F350 ford dually with 6.7 diesel

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
neighbor in rv park having trouble with ford truck listed in subject line. pulls a toy hauler about 40 feet in length. had been using a programer on the truck which has 3 levels of performance. has programmer set level 3, the highest level of performance for power.

problem while pulling from Florida to mountains of Virginia the truck would be pulling along just if, and he would begin loosing power to the engine, have to pull over , shut engine down. when he sat a few minutes and restarted the engine and begin to pull again the scenario would happen again sometimes within minutes, other times hours. when he got to the RV park we looked at fuel filters very dirty--changed both. he reprogrammed the truck back to the least of the programs(1). drove truck without 5th wheel around the mountains, seemed to work fine. should we move the programmer setting back to top level and see the response. All this is being done without the toy hauler hooked up. or should we be looking at some other issues. He does not want to break down the 5th wheel till he is ready to leave. Any suggestions or anyone had similar issues?
20 REPLIES 20

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
He has already lost his warranty. He can remove the programmer but it leaves a trail.

He needs a sticker "I am my own warranty station".

Just because a fuel filter "LOOKS" dirty does not mean it is.

I agree 400 not enough? My measly 350 pulls 7% grades at 45mph and 6% at 55 at nearly 29K combined.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a truck that only had 12,000 miles to pull 5th. Ran perfect until I hooked up 5th. Thank it would loose all power after about 10 min.. It was a 6.4 navistar. Took to dealer and they could not fix the problem. Finally figured out through the service manager being honest that the truck had a chip at one time. 'told him I didn't want it and bought a 2011 with 6.7 Ford. That truck does not need a chip plus I figured out how bad a truck could be missed up with a tuner.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I think some people use those programmers/chips just because it's a new gadget to put on their truck, without thinking about it actually "hurting" the performance or voiding the warranty. :S
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
"problem while pulling from Florida to mountains of Virginia the truck would be pulling along just if, and he would begin loosing power to the engine, have to pull over , shut engine down. when he sat a few minutes and restarted the engine and begin to pull again the scenario would happen again sometimes within minutes, other times hours."

I don't think that's how dirty filters act. If clogged, after a forced shutdown the truck wouldn't run for only a few minutes and shut down again, then start up and run for hours. Especially when towing, which pushes a lot more fuel through them. There's something else going on.

And of course we don't know when the filters were last changed.

Tim

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
From a guy who ran the Superchip on my last diesel and now drive a 2012 F350 - No #$%&* WAY would I put a programmer on these new trucks. Not needed and only asking to ruin the engine.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
My dad just went through something very similar with his '11 F350. Dealership had recently replaced his fuel filters and screwed something up, one of them had a bad seal.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Mountains + Programer + toyhauler = defueling (my thoughts)
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
Get a code reader on it and see if there are any codes that are stored. I had issues with mine a while back and when hooked up to the code reader told me that there was low pressure in the secondary cooling system.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditch the tuner unless you want to destroy the engine. No need to a tuner with 400 HP and 800 ft-lb of torque.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 SRW version of that truck. The idea of wanting more power towing I just don't understand. I can travel at whatever speed I choose and acellerate going up most any grade. But that wasn't the OP's question.

It may be generating enough heat to cause the ECM to de-power the engine to prevent overheating. Of course dirty fuel filters don't help but I thought they would display a message about low fuel pressure also, not sure.

Good luck.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
Guys just gotta have their toys.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused too. I have a 2013 and I can pull my 14,000 pound trailer as fast as I want to - uphill or on the flats. I got all the HP I want.

I hope nothing is really wrong because it will be expensive and his warranty is now toast.

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Get rid of the programmer. The 6.7 does not need it.

Yep, agreed!
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
What's the point of the programmer on a 400 hp, 800 ft/lbs truck, other than reading codes?

How much power does the guy really need while sacrificing reliability?

If it's still under warranty, and he takes it into Ford, it will be instant warranty invalidation, because he modified his truck.

They can usually tell if it's been chipped because the chip creates different spray patterns and different cylinder wear patterns.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820