cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 ram 1500 short bed?

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
have a 2012 ram 1500 2wd crew cab and found a small 5th wheel 21 ft with a dry weight of 4040lbs and a GVWR of 5756 LBS. should my 1/2 ton ram be able to handle this?
thanks
21 REPLIES 21

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Eng208 wrote:
What powertrain? Look at the door jamb. On my 2013, they took the guess work out of the payload and it is clearly stamped on there. Mine says 1923lbs I think. that includes everything not factory, people, gear, and trailer. That is a very light fifth wheel and you should be fine weight wise. Do you have a 6.4 ft bed? I would think that would be minimum to keep you safe from hitting the cab.

I checked the door jamb sticker and ALL MINE SAYs is
GAWR FRONT 3700 LBS
GAWR REAR 3900LBS
GVWR 6800LBS

DOES THAT MEAN ANYTHING as far as payload?
thanks

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed with camp-n-family. If you have the payload, go for it! But 2009+ crew cab rams tend to be pretty low. 2WD might help. Keep in mind you'll need the pin weight (loaded, not dry), the weight of a receiver (200-250 pounds), people and cargo in the cab and bed.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Your only real concerns will be your trucks payload and the trailers pin weight. Some Rams have pretty low payloads, under 1100lbs. Check your door jamb sticker for yours. From that number you need to subtract the weight of passengers and anything you plan to carry in the truck, plus the weight of the 5th wheel hitch. What is left is what you can afford for the trailers pin weight. Most fivers have 20-25% of their loaded weight carried on the pin.

If you have the payload available to carry all that then you should be good to go.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I saw such combo on the road last week, it looked very comfortable. You should investigate hitches first, you will need a sliding hitch and I have no idea if one is made for the mini-bed truck.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
JMO but you should pay attention to the Pin Weight as well as the Gross Trailer Weight and if you really want to have a fifth wheel with your shortbed then check out the sliding fifth wheel hitches as they will allow more clearance in tight turns.
Also You did not say how your Ram is set up so you may want to investigate suspension upgrades if this is possable.
Good Luck

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Eng208 wrote:
What powertrain? Look at the door jamb. On my 2013, they took the guess work out of the payload and it is clearly stamped on there. Mine says 1923lbs I think. that includes everything not factory, people, gear, and trailer. That is a very light fifth wheel and you should be fine weight wise. Do you have a 6.4 ft bed? I would think that would be minimum to keep you safe from hitting the cab.

i have a 5ft 6in bed
maybe i will have to stick with looking for just a travel trailer.
Thank YOU

Eng208
Explorer
Explorer
97 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab 4X4 CTD with Goerend Transmission mod.(GVWR 8800lbs, or 4000 Kg)
95 Four Winds Fifth Wheel
99 Toyota Fourrunner V6