cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014, adding overload springs

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
After about 11 years we noticed that stepping on to our campers step was sort of like stepping into a corner of a row boat.... squishy.... we had gotten use to it.

Our campers steps are on the rear passengers side.

We visited the Knoxville Spring Shop.... which reminded me og the blacksmith shops when I was a kid in the early 1040's. The owner/manager Lawrence Henegar seemed like he knew what he was doing.

We made an appointment to bring the truck to the shop with the camper fully loaded....

Janet sat in the office, trying to stay warm... it was early Februart. I roamed the floor.... staying out of the way and talikning pictures...

They were adding 2 leafs to the one ton package the truck alteady had.

This is how I added air to my airbags.... just to let you see the original springs. I would be keeping the airbags.

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare
22 REPLIES 22

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Sleepy. I will PM you with my results there.

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
We did very much the same thing. One long spring in the main pack and one in the overloads. It made a night and day difference in how the truck handled. It cost about $500 at "The Spring Works" in Grand Junction, Colorado.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
ask your dealer, or the shops where you buy tires... or get alignments... even a tractor/trailor over the road type shop.

That's how I found the Knoxville Spring Shop.

Try this one in your neighborhood

Specifically

Let us know how you do
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

realter
Explorer
Explorer
How do you find a spring shop? I googled truck springs, and not much luck finding anything close--within 150 miles. Thanks

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
I did the exact same thing last July and wish I had done it 10 Julys ago . My rig also sits level. Love the ride on the back roads now. I don't hold up traffic anymore.
My spring shop was $500.

The best part.... you leave the camper on the truck so they have a realistic idea od what your needs are... (If I towed anything I'd take it with me)

And... they can do the job in a half day or slightly dess.

It appears that there is only about $50 difference between a 3/4 ton 4 wheel and a 1 ton dully....

Like you.... we are very happy.... janet has recentlt helped with the driving....

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
realter wrote:
What did they charge?

They were $550 plus tax for a total of $600.88 for our 1 ton GMC, crewcab, duramax/allison

They fabricated the new U Bolts, rebent and tempered our original springs, and furnished and adapted the two extra springs...

they even pained every thing.... (where theyed had their torches would rust easily if they hadn't

It was a very good deal....

corners aren't squishy, there isn't any porporsing, and no squating

They knew their stuff.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Nice report. And I like your camper interior.
Question: If you kept the air bags, will you be using them since the truck/camper is now level?

I always liked the airbags... they balance the load with very little effort.... I use a very good bicycle pump to adjust the pressure... less than 20 strokes to 100 psi.

We have had the extra springs for about 109 days of travel over two trips... and so far I have just enough air in them to keep them from crimping the rubber....

If we can continue our travels... the spring package will slowly get a little soft.... and the airbags will be in place.

thanks for your comment about our camper.... this picture shows the slide in.... it shows that we have full use of our Lance 1161 with the slide in.... bath room, kitchen, and bed...

this is important to us ... stealth... high winds... and a quick stops along a road where we can't put a slide out.

We looked like we are just parked.... when we are actually sleeping.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice report. And I like your camper interior.
Question: If you kept the air bags, will you be using them since the truck/camper is now level?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the exact same thing last July and wish I had done it 10 Julys ago . My rig also sits level. Love the ride on the back roads now. I don't hold up traffic anymore.
My spring shop was $500.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
What did they charge?

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
How can they do that with no computers, keyboards, I phones, pads,
swipe screens with the right apps installed etc... 🙂

Amazing...
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I had quietly checked the floor of the shop for level.... and it was perfectly level.

The mechanics never used a level (and I was out there with them evety minute.

I checked the camper for level when they were through... it was absolutely perfect front to back... side to side and has stayed that way for over a 100 nights travel.... and 16 months with the camper on the truck full time.

I checked the floor, the fridge... I even checked the outside walls all the way around the Truck camper.

I't feels good (and solid) when were are getting in and out of the camper... and when were are moving about day and night.

NOTE: The camera didn't "see" the level like the level did...

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer