Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 f 150

rubsal70
Explorer
Explorer
Help guys.
I'm looking to buy a new f 150 v6. Towing max is 6300 with gcwr 11700. Payload capacity is 1620. The TT that I'm interested is 4750 and will load it with gear n without any water. I'm looking at 5300-5500 of weight. Is this to much for the truck please advice
Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Explorer II
Explorer II
The truck you are looking at will most likely have a 3.55 rear end. If you want to tow 5500lbs reliably your first step would be to up it to 3.73. It will tow with the 3.55 BUT the 3.73 would be a better match and the truck and yourself will be happier in the long run. This upgrade will cost ~$800 at a non-dealer shop. See if the dealer will throw in this work as a contingency to the sale.

Don't take my word on the $800. Call around to get a real quote. This will give you negotiation power with the dealer.

With that said, you may find a comparable 5.0 with a 3.73 already installed for the same price the 3.7 with a gear upgrade will cost. A 5.0 with the 3.55 would be better than the 3.7 with the 3.73.
The 5.0 is a more capable truck and has a real nice exhaust tone.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'd cut the budget elsewhere to get the setup that will give the power and payload. The V6 is very nice, but gives you no margin.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine with the base motor. Keep in mind that the next motor up the chain is only about $1000 more (5.0 v8). No need to do a double up grade to the eco boost for what you want to do with the truck.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
If budget is the driving force, perhaps you should look for a slightly used truck where someone else has taken the big depreciation hit. That said, the 3.7 would probably do OK, but the Ecoboost would do it with ease. Whatever you get, do be aware of the payload shown on the yellow sticker in the door jamb. About 13% of your gross trailer weight will need to come from there. Whatever is left is for passengers and anything else you want to haul in the truck.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

rubsal70
Explorer
Explorer
My bad.... 3.5 is ecoboost n the 3.7 is the lower end. What do y'all think

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you have the V6 sizes mixed up.. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The 3.7 is the NA base engine. The 3.5 is the one with the twin turbos on it.. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm towing a #5000 loaded TT (including a full tank of fresh water ๐Ÿ™‚ ) with my Ecoboost, but I used to tow it with a 97 F150 with a 5.4 V8 in it and it didn't have as much HP as the 3.7 V6.. It had more torque, and that will get you moving easier, but you should be okay for the most part.. Just don't be affraid to rev that V6 when going up the grades..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've drove all three of the new base V6 Full-Sized trucks.

The Pentastar Ram with the 3.55 gears has a tow rating of over 7,000 lbs and has what I will describe as 'guts' from the moment you press the gas. The Ford 3.7 is nice and has power but it lives in higher RPM's. The 4.3 Chevy doesn't feel as powerful as the Pentastar.

IMHO...in the battle of the base motors, the Ram 3.6 Pentastar wins Hands Down

Or were you meaning the bigger motors?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

rubsal70
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason I'm choosing the 3.5 is because of budget issues. I would love a 250 but I cannot afford it. The 3.7 is nice the ecoboost engine but it's more than my budget. I might go to a dodge or Chevy. What do tall think

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go to something larger in a TT you will have to also change PUs. Why not buy a larger PU now and you can tow anything later. You can't have too much truck. I have an F250. Would never buy another one. If I trade in my F250 FX4 it will be for an F350 FX4. JMHO

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it would be a great match. I love the current crop of V6 base motors in the full size trucks. 305 hp is in the 3.7 IIRC. Don't be shocked when the 3.7 revs to 7,000 rpm before it shifts out when floored.

If you get one make sure you get 3.73 axle ratio...I think all SuperCrew's get 3.73 with the 3.7 V6.

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

What you are looking at is not really a "Max" towing capcity. Is this specs for the 3.7L gas engine? The Max tow will have the 3.5L Ecoboost, have the ability to tow 11,000 pounds (give or take) and have a much higher cargo rating.

You might be getting what is left on the lot or something.

What is probably going to happen is you will have a 5,000 pound trailer with a 600 pound hitch weight, with only 1,000 pounds left to carry cargo, passengers and such.

The "Tow Max" is rated at around 2,300 maximum cargo rating. The trailer weight rating is closer to 10,000 pounds.

Because you are buying new, why not get the higher capacity truck? THen if you decide to upgrade the trailer sometime in the next 10 years, you will not need to upgrade trucks too!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com