cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Ram Mega Cab - Towing Capacity Help

dicksenn
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2014 Ram Mega Cab 4x4 a little over a year ago hoping to upgrade to a nice 5th wheel. At the time coming from a half ton truck I thought a 2500 would tow anything, after all the max trailer weight I can tow is 16,720. But, I didn't think of pin weights, etc..

My truck specs are:
GVWR: 10,000
GCWR: 25,000
Payload: 1890
Base Weight Total: 8114
Trailer Plus Equipment Max Rating: 16,720
Door Sticker says not to exceed cargo capcity of: 1503

The 5th wheel we want is a Coachmen Brookstone 395RL and it's specs are:
Hitch Weight: 2830
UVW: 13940
CCC: 2660

So any help on what I can tow max with a 5th wheel. I started reading and it seems I've found contradictory things on the net and the salesman will reassure me I can tow anything I may buy.

Regards,
Richard
32 REPLIES 32

dicksenn
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
op wrote:
I just want to be safe as the first priority.

Howdy neighbor.
I'm just up the road aways from Tulsa.
Just to let folks know in Oklahoma we have no weights to register our private use trucks at nor do we have to buy any weights for our tags. That for our commercial side.

As long as you stay within the trucks axle/tire load rating (FAWR/RAWR) you and everyone on the road will be safe. A GVWR or GCWR or tire placard number on newer trucks or a tow rating aren't used for any legal purposes. Your payload number your looking at just became mandatory in '06 so trucks before that year don't have a tire placard payload number although some truck makers started before '06.

As with any truck the owner/operator needs to know the trucks front and rear axle weight numbers .
Your 3500 SRW Mega's rear axle may weigh in the 3000 lb range which leaves the truck with a 3500 lb payload. Payload means the hitch/occupants/junk we carry plus the pin weight.
Load the truck road ready and get some separate axle weights. Then you know what your working with. The 3500 SRW diesel powered truck will pull anything the DRW will but its way short on wheel/tire and rear springs
Oh yeah when you get a scale ticket keep it in the trucks glove box for future reference.

Thanks JimNLin, axle weights are pretty much what I'm going with and I'm hoping to drop by a cat scale here in Tulsa this week or next to get some separate axle weights.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:

Howdy neighbor.
I'm just up the road aways from Tulsa.
Just to let folks know in Oklahoma we have no weights to register our private use trucks at nor do we have to buy any weights for our tags. That for our commercial side.

As long as you stay within the trucks axle/tire load rating (FAWR/RAWR) you and everyone on the road will be safe. A GVWR or GCWR or tire placard number on newer trucks or a tow rating aren't used for any legal purposes. Your payload number your looking at just became mandatory in '06 so trucks before that year don't have a tire placard payload number although some truck makers started before '06.

As with any truck the owner/operator needs to know the trucks front and rear axle weight numbers .
Your 3500 SRW Mega's rear axle may weigh in the 3000 lb range which leaves the truck with a 3500 lb payload. Payload means the hitch/occupants/junk we carry plus the pin weight.
Load the truck road ready and get some separate axle weights. Then you know what your working with. The 3500 SRW diesel powered truck will pull anything the DRW will but its way short on wheel/tire and rear springs
Oh yeah when you get a scale ticket keep it in the trucks glove box for future reference.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
dicksenn wrote:

The amount of information back and forth of whether the number listed on the door is just for registration, etc, and then use axle ratings, etc. is just overwhelming. Even Ram says my payload when I do a Vin lookup is 1890, then the door says 1503..

I realize the 2800lb hitch weights are out of the question but when it gets to closer numbers like the Sandpiper I'm really wondering if it's actually safe/feasible with air bags or if I'm just trying to convince myself it is.

I would never advise anyone to exceed the ratings on their truck, even the somewhat artificial ratings of many 2500s. That's a line I'm just not comfortable crossing. Too many variables.

But IDoMyOwnStunts is correct that under the skin, the differences between many 2500s and 3500s are fairly minor. If you do your research, and check your weights, you may be comfortable exceeding your 2500's rating. By how much is your judgement call.

And I'd reinforce what IDoMyOwnStunts said about pin weights. The listed pin weight will be much lighter than what you'll see when you load up with gear, ready to camp. Plus the weight of the hitch, and passengers all factor in as well.

Do your math carefully if you choose to exceed your ratings, so you can do it as safely as possible.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
dicksenn wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
dicksenn wrote:
If I was comfortable with axle ratings and I went with the mfg rear weight listing of 3120 and the axles are rated at 6500 I would essentially have 3380 lbs to spare with cargo and all? Correct? I'd prefer to find some Cat Scales to verify.

So the Sandpiper I listed has a hitch weight of 1865, assuming another 800 for the family, hitch, and some gear I'd be at 2665 and have 715lbs to spare.

Still to much?

That is really common on this site with a 25 series truck. Fudging the numbers if needed :W Now a 35 series group will mention they are within GVWR and the duallies will still pull and hold ANY weight :B

The amount of information back and forth of whether the number listed on the door is just for registration, etc, and then use axle ratings, etc. is just overwhelming. Even Ram says my payload when I do a Vin lookup is 1890, then the door says 1503..

I realize the 2800lb hitch weights are out of the question but when it gets to closer numbers like the Sandpiper I'm really wondering if it's actually safe/feasible with air bags or if I'm just trying to convince myself it is.

Unlike half tons, your 2500 is nearly the same as a 3500 underneath. Only the suspension is different and, as you've seen, it's only a 500 lb difference on the rear even with coils vs leafs. So the 250/2500 series of trucks with their GVWs at 10k are artificially low. Even my 3500 with a 10,800 GVW is lower than my combined axle ratings (12,500). In many states, the 10k is for tax purposes and not having to register/insure it as commercial. Otherwise, they all might as well be the same truck badge because they are almost identical underneath, for the most part.

In my state, it doesn't matter much what I register for as long as it's registered for 50% greater than the curb weight. Currently, mine is registered for 10k lb GVW (dealer mistake). I'm going to correct that and get a 14k lb registration. The difference here is minimal, plus WA state are raising the fees on all 12K and below vehicles. You might as well register at 14k in my state. Heck, you could register it for 20k for all they care.

So, back to your using the axle and that Sandpiper. Be careful using that dry pin weight on the Sandpiper. I found that exact model at a dealer website listing the pin at 1996 lbs. Doing the math, that pin is listed at 15% of the dry weight. Some 5th wheels are designed to be only 15% on the pin, but many are designed to be 25%. How much more will it be when you are loaded to camp? You can probably figure that out using your current travel trailer. Find the difference in tongue weight between it loaded and ready to camp and its dry weight. Add that to the pin weight of the Sandpiper. Add 250 for your 5th wheel hitch (unless you get a light one). That's the minimum you'll load your new trailer. See if that works for your axle.

I would go for the Sandpiper. It's quite nice and I think you can do it. But I'm just a guy on the internet. Ultimately, it's your decision. Above all, run it across the scales so you know.

Just to add, I don't advocate going over your rear axle weight. I don't believe that to be an artificial number like your GVW. There is some safety factor built in, but pushing into it would not be advisable, in my book. Leave yourself some margin.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

dicksenn
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
dicksenn wrote:
If I was comfortable with axle ratings and I went with the mfg rear weight listing of 3120 and the axles are rated at 6500 I would essentially have 3380 lbs to spare with cargo and all? Correct? I'd prefer to find some Cat Scales to verify.

So the Sandpiper I listed has a hitch weight of 1865, assuming another 800 for the family, hitch, and some gear I'd be at 2665 and have 715lbs to spare.

Still to much?

That is really common on this site with a 25 series truck. Fudging the numbers if needed :W Now a 35 series group will mention they are within GVWR and the duallies will still pull and hold ANY weight :B

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
dicksenn wrote:

Still to much?

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

dicksenn
Explorer
Explorer

Still to much?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Rear axles are not 500lbs different in real world capacity or design either between the 2500 and 3500 Srw. Dually gets a bump in rig gear size but the 11.5" and 11.8" aam axles are rated by the mfg for 10 or 11klbs. Way mornethan the trucks rating. Tires wheels and springs are the limiting factor. The axle itself will handle 6klbs plus.

Yes a dually would handle a 3k pin more effortlessly, so would a class 5 or a big rig, but the op truck is not undersized for the trailer in any way except licensing and class rating
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I betcha that truck barely squats with 1,800 lbs in the bed.

I do agree that the big fiver is a lot for some 350 Dually's (my old dually had about 4,000 lbs of payload)

But there are a ton of fivers and even more TT's you can safely tow

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
I find it hard to believe that a 2500 only has 400lbs more payload than a Canyon.
But if your mind is set on that 5er I'd be looking at a dually OP. You'll get use to finding parking spaces where you will fit. That pin weight is going to be well north of 3k.
And the dually will be so much more stable in high winds or mountain driving with the RV.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dicksenn wrote:

As far as using the axle weights would I just get an actual truck weight from a scale divide by two considering the number of axles and then use the difference between that number and the GAWR of the rear axle?

If you weigh your truck at a CAT scale, ensure each axle is on it's separate pad, and you will have actual weights on each axle. Then subtract the rear axle weight from the RGAWR to tell you the available rear axle payload.
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

dicksenn
Explorer
Explorer
IDoMyOwnStunts wrote:
I guess it all depends upon whether you want to stay within the official ratings. If not, then the only difference is 500 lbs between the rear axle on the 3500 mega cab and the rear axle on the 2500 mega cab (6500 vs 7000). Same front axle. Tires are more than capable. You can weigh your truck in camping configuration and then decide if you want to use the axle weights or the GVW as your limiting factor. If you want to use axle weights, then you've got a lot more options. But you really need to weigh your truck. Then you'll know.

You'll probably find that you would still need a dually for the fiver in the original post which can have a pin weight exceeding 4000 lbs if loaded up fully, but there are fivers that weigh much less than that one. If you use axle ratings, you aren't limited to travel trailers and you don't need to trade in your truck for a dually.

Currently, our 2008 Dutchmen has a hitch weight of about 700lbs and then add me, the wife, the kids, a great dane, ice chests and cargo and I'm probably at or over the 1503lbs already, which is why I was dumbfounded to see that sticker of do not exceed 1503lbs. We tow the current trailer up some pretty steep inclines and the turnpikes here in OK are pretty hilly and I literally don't even know the trailer is back there. Bed doesn't even squat to level, truck never strains up hills, etc.. so the truck is capable of a lot more.

As far as using the axle weights would I just get an actual truck weight from a scale divide by two considering the number of axles and then use the difference between that number and the GAWR of the rear axle?

I'm realizing the 40' models we like may not be a possibility now but going off official numbers it's basically means my ultra light I tow now is to much.

I did some searching last night and found a possible replacement 5th wheel the Sandpiper 371REBH with a hitch weight of 1865. I also found a travel trailer possibility with the Cougar Xlite 34TSB.

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it all depends upon whether you want to stay within the official ratings. If not, then the only difference is 500 lbs between the rear axle on the 3500 mega cab and the rear axle on the 2500 mega cab (6500 vs 7000). Same front axle. Tires are more than capable. You can weigh your truck in camping configuration and then decide if you want to use the axle weights or the GVW as your limiting factor. If you want to use axle weights, then you've got a lot more options. But you really need to weigh your truck. Then you'll know.

You'll probably find that you would still need a dually for the fiver in the original post which can have a pin weight exceeding 4000 lbs if loaded up fully, but there are fivers that weigh much less than that one. If you use axle ratings, you aren't limited to travel trailers and you don't need to trade in your truck for a dually.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer

That does seem unusually low for a 2500 but i dont know that a dually would be needed.

This is the sticker in my new 6.7
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission