cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0 Gas and 12K fifth wheel

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I now have a 2008 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. It tows great but I want a new truck. I am retired and live in the Baton Rouge suburban area. What that means is a lot of short 1 -3 mile trips without many longer ones. I have an Edge Insight so I can see when the truck starts regenerating, which is a lot. I live near the interstate and spend at least 30 minutes a week just driving to let the truck complete a regeneration. A gas truck would be better for me the 90% of the time when not towing, since it is my daily driver. I have a fifth wheel 34' long, 10,600 empty and 12,000 almost exactly per the CAT scales ready to camp.

I am considering a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD with 6.0 gas, 4.10 axle and 6 speed. I have towed with gas before and fully understand that gas engines create power when climbing grades above 4,000 RPM. I have read more reviews in the last few weeks than I ever thought I would. It seems many people tow 10K plus and are happy with this engine, while about the same amount towing the same weight hate the engine. I know this configuration (2WD crew cab short bed) meets the new J2807 standards for 2016 at over 21K GCWR (almost 15K towing). Truck has about 3,300 lbs of payload, which is more than enough.

The gas truck weighs empty almost the same as my quad cab Cummins. I know my GCWR will vary between 18,800# and 19,100# ready to camp. This is well under the 2015 20,500# GCWR. I live in Louisiana, so about 50% of the towing time is flat land, 30% of time is rolling hills in southeast US, and 20% of time is mountains (I like the Rockies and Smokies).

I really value the input of members towing over about 10K with this truck. Please give me any towing input, good or bad, when towing. Yes, I know to expect 6-9 mpg towing and overall 12-13 mpg. If that's off, please let me know.

So how well does the engine, transmission and axle ratio perform when you are between 80-90% of the trucks tow ratings?

I know the diesel is best when towing, but this truck is a daily driver 80-90% of the time.

Thanks. Keith
26 REPLIES 26

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
kzspree320 wrote:
motofell1 - I'm afraid I might feel exactly like you with a gasser. That's why I have not been able to convince myself to buy one yet, even though 90% of miles are not towing. IMO unhappiness is when actual towing performance is way less than expectations. I can only pull the trigger on a gasser when I am mentally ready to accept that towing will not be the same. I'm thinking about it.

deltabravo - I have thought about a car, but space considerations in garage and driveway make this not as good an option for me as others.

I "had" a gas burner. 2012 F-250 with the 6.2 and 3:73 rear end. It was a fine and capable truck that gave me zero problems other than terrible gas mileage. I had been in a diesel since 2004 when I bought/traded for the gas burner back in January for all the reasons you stated.

At the end of October after towing my fiver and gooseneck for the season I now have the truck in my signature. Yep, that's only 9 months. Hope this helps! Lol
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Well here goes some apples and oranges.

I tow a 10K fifth wheel with a Ford 6.2 with a 4.30 diffy.

This winter will be my third winter out with the ole ford.

maybe I am over the hill but just don't get it when folks start talking about running 5000 R's on grades. If someone plants his foot on the firewall, sure they will rev that high and they will get to the top of the grade a smidge sooner than me.

The only long grade i do is heading north toward Ashville when i hit the Saluda grade. It is 6% going up and a long pull. I see no reason to get the r's above 4K. I top that one running 45 mph and 4000 rpm and do not remember what gear.

If you don't get all wrapped arond the axle about racing up long grades or living in fear that a rattler will blow by you, you will be fine and pleased with the new horse.

All else being equal I think we'd agree we prefer a more capable truck that "struggles" less. Turbo's on anything will do that.

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
I have the truck you are talking about exactly. I love it but I came form a 2000 1500 gasser, and never have never owned a diesel. My TT is a bit smaller at only 6700 on the scale and I hardly know it is behind me. I have only towed 2 times with the truck as I have only had it since September. But one of those two trips was a 350 long trip. Got in the truck set the cruise at 62 and let her go. YOu are pretty correct on the MPG's as to what I am getting here, although you may see a little better since you are at sea level and I live at 4700 ft. I am using this truck as the DD until my wife gets a new car in a year or so and enjoy driving it every day, and can not imagine having anything else.

That being said it is up to you on what makes you happy. If you were out here in the wet and climbing the Sierra's and the Rocky's, Dmax, Cummins or Powerstroke would probably be your best option. Several have switched and been very happy, and several have not. Look up some of IB516's reviews on his 6.4 Hemi. Not the exact truck but close.

Good luck.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get the same rig you have now in a 2015. You will regret going backwards to a gas pot. The newer trucks are much better doing shorter trips than your 08 is.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
motofell1 - I'm afraid I might feel exactly like you with a gasser. That's why I have not been able to convince myself to buy one yet, even though 90% of miles are not towing. IMO unhappiness is when actual towing performance is way less than expectations. I can only pull the trigger on a gasser when I am mentally ready to accept that towing will not be the same. I'm thinking about it.

deltabravo - I have thought about a car, but space considerations in garage and driveway make this not as good an option for me as others.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Well here goes some apples and oranges.

I tow a 10K fifth wheel with a Ford 6.2 with a 4.30 diffy.

This winter will be my third winter out with the ole ford.

maybe I am over the hill but just don't get it when folks start talking about running 5000 R's on grades. If someone plants his foot on the firewall, sure they will rev that high and they will get to the top of the grade a smidge sooner than me.

The only long grade i do is heading north toward Ashville when i hit the Saluda grade. It is 6% going up and a long pull. I see no reason to get the r's above 4K. I top that one running 45 mph and 4000 rpm and do not remember what gear.

If you don't get all wrapped arond the axle about racing up long grades or living in fear that a rattler will blow by you, you will be fine and pleased with the new horse.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Have you considered just getting a low end car (used) for a daily driver rig?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing 8500# with the 6.4 Hemi after an 06 Duramax. It's pretty similar but the Hemi definitely revs higher. The 6 spd transmission gear spacing on the Hemi does pretty much suck. Most of the annoyance can be eliminated by just manually shifting.

I'm thinking of going heavier with a new RV this year and am somewhat regretting my switch to gas. It's not that the gassers can't do it. The diesel just does it so effortlessly. Without a doubt my next truck will be diesel. Am I totally regretting my purchase? No. I did save about 6K by going gas and the truck is super nice as a daily driver..... and really very good as a tow vehicle. Just not great.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd keep the Cummins and save the money.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
kzspree320 wrote:

Daveandviv - Your rig is very close to what I'm talking about. I've never had a grade I could not pull at 60mph with the Cummins. I was actually on I-70 outside of Denver and know it will pull it at 60. Doesn't mean I would, because a lot of Colorado passes just can't be pulled that fast. While I would expect 30 mph with the Chevy 6.0 on that grade, I would have expected at least 45 mph on the grades in the eastern US, since the lower altitudes have not taken away quite as much HP as the higher CO passes.

Thanks to all. Keep the info coming. Keith

I could be wrong but would not expect that much of a difference. Yes the 6.0 will be down about 100hp on the Eisenhower pass, but 100hp doesn't equate to half the speed. It would really come down to if it can pull 2nd, and that would likely depend on the axle gears. I would guess 45 - 50 mph in that scenario, but I am just guessing as well.
As an example, my meager 3.7 and very tall trailer shaped like a brick, with the truck maxed out with a quad in the box, had no trouble pulling 60mph to the top. Yes foot to the floor, and engine was revving, but when the hammer is down, it's all about horsepower...But that is the only time I have found a gasser to be wanting. But it wasn't a gas vs diesel thing, it's a turbo vs NA thing anyhow!

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
Why not keep your truck and buy a commuter car. That is what I did.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Ksss - I've also read that GM may start using a modified 6.2 in the HD trucks. Even if they do, it initially will be an unproven engine when worked heavy duty. I would hope the new HD engine lineup for GM would be 6.0 for heavy hauling and lighter towing, 6.2 for heavier towing and Duramax for heaviest towing. That the same model Ram is now following with the 5.7 Hemi, 6.4 Hemi and Cummins.

Daveandviv - Your rig is very close to what I'm talking about. I've never had a grade I could not pull at 60mph with the Cummins. I was actually on I-70 outside of Denver and know it will pull it at 60. Doesn't mean I would, because a lot of Colorado passes just can't be pulled that fast. While I would expect 30 mph with the Chevy 6.0 on that grade, I would have expected at least 45 mph on the grades in the eastern US, since the lower altitudes have not taken away quite as much HP as the higher CO passes.

Blofgren - I have researched this. Yes, the newer trucks with SCR do a better job and probably regenerate less than half as much as mine. My retired lifestyle sure fits a gas engine better, so I may just need to compromise my expectations. Considering how little time I'm in the mountains, even going slow would add no more than an hour or so a year to towing time. It would just be a big adjustment from my recent past towing experiences.

Thanks to all. Keep the info coming. Keith

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread and definitely has me thinking.

One thing you may want to think about is doing some research on the newer diesels because they all utilize diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) which has really improved the emissions systems and significantly reduced the EGR cycles. Although I use my truck primarily for towing in the summer I do find myself using it through the winter for short trips and the emissions system is virtually invisible in it in that I'm sure it goes through regens at times but there is no sign of it. Saying all that I am aware that short trips is still not ideal for them but they are much better equipped for it than pre DEF trucks like yours were.

Just something to think about because although I'm sure the gasser will do the job I think it will be a disappointment after pulling it with the 6.7L Cummins that you have now. As an added bonus the newer trucks are much more refined than the previous generations. JMHO.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

daveandviv
Explorer
Explorer
Keith, My setup is almost identical to what you are considering. I have a 2012 GMC 2500 6.0 with 4:10 gears and I tow a 35' FW. My GCW is 18,200 lb. We took a 2700 mile trip this fall from NY to Tennessee and N Carolina and averaged right at 8 mpg towing.

The only time I really would have liked to have more truck was when we crossed the mountains between Chattanooga and Asheville. I was down to 30 mph on the steepest grades. Also could have used more engine braking on the long downhill runs. (Having never owned a diesel I'm not sure how much better they are.)

Otherwise I have no trouble keeping up with traffic on the interstates.

Dave
2016 GMC Denali 3500 D/A
2017 Jayco Eagle FW 321RSTS