cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Ford F-150 Aluminum Bed

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Here's a video from Ford displaying the strength of their new aluminum bed when compared to the steel bed. They got a few athletes to throw and shoot a few things at it and compared the damage from each. It's not a practical test, but interesting nevertheless. The action starts at the 1:30 mark.

The 2015 Ford F-150 takes on Top Athletes
58 REPLIES 58

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
Toyota should feel proud ford copied a tundra and called it a 2015 F-150

Huh???

check the date and time
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Time and miles and body repair shops charges will tell the tale on Fords move to aluminum to save weight.
However unless Fords raises the small 4050 RAWR on the max tow package the new owners won't be able to carry 700 more pounds in the bed with out exceeding RAWR/tire load capacities.

Its going to be interesting to see the GAWR/GVWR specs for this new truck.

Here are the numbers.

Ford 2015 F150 specs

P.S. JIMNLIN - I like your Will Rogers quote.
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Let me guess. Ford has taken their best selling vehicle, wait, best selling vehicle period and redesigned it using aluminum. Do we actually think they would have taken this huge gamble without doing their research? They make from $5,000. to $8,000. profit on every F150 sold. You can bet your bippy tons of research went into this vehicle and it's use of aluminum before it was given the green light for production.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Haven't they used aluminum hoods in the auto industry for years?

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
MARKW8 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
MARKW8 wrote:
I want to see one after 5+ years in the rust belt. See how it holds up against corrosion.

Mark
Don't need to wait. Look around the salt-infested parking lot of any boat ramp on the east and west coast. The difference in corrosion between steel and aluminum trailers is pretty hard to miss--especially on the boat trailers that use a combination of steel and aluminum components.

I would expect Ford to make more effort than most any trailer mfg to deter corrosion.

Mark
Acft manufactures know the best when it comes to corrosion prevention, and in my field (maint manager for a airline) we deal with this issue all the time, I don't see a aluminum body truck lasting 5 plus years in MI, if the base metal is exposed it will corrode, so unless they can keep it covered and the rocks or what ever gets thrown at it from chipping the paint/primer, it might be ok. Time will tell..
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Large yacht builders have been making steel hulls with aluminum decks since the late '50s.The problems and solutions are well understood ,isolate or bond (perfectly) both work,its a matter of keeping oxygen away.
simple
Newmar 34rsks 2008

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
Toyota should feel proud ford copied a tundra and called it a 2015 F-150

Huh???
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
MARKW8 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
MARKW8 wrote:
I want to see one after 5+ years in the rust belt. See how it holds up against corrosion.

Mark
Don't need to wait. Look around the salt-infested parking lot of any boat ramp on the east and west coast. The difference in corrosion between steel and aluminum trailers is pretty hard to miss--especially on the boat trailers that use a combination of steel and aluminum components.
I would expect Ford to make more effort than most any trailer mfg to deter corrosion.

Mark
Aluminum deters corrosion all by itself without any help from Ford 🙂

But the truck isn't likely assembled with only aluminum or stainless fasteners. And we'll have to see how well they isolate the aluminum parts from the steel frame. I expect they won't get it all right the first time.

Mark

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Time and miles and body repair shops charges will tell the tale on Fords move to aluminum to save weight.
However unless Fords raises the small 4050 RAWR on the max tow package the new owners won't be able to carry 700 more pounds in the bed with out exceeding RAWR/tire load capacities.

Its going to be interesting to see the GAWR/GVWR specs for this new truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Think of aluminum oxide, very hard grey coating that forms almost intantly.
Now rust ,swelling, flaking and discolloring which would you rather deal with?
Newmar 34rsks 2008

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
MARKW8 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
MARKW8 wrote:

Mark

Mark
Aluminum deters corrosion all by itself without any help from Ford 🙂

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Or plastic beds. Seemed like a novel idea when GM did it some years ago but since they abandoned it there must have been some kind of problem.
Still, it seem like an injection molded bed would be very durable and light.

Toyota Tacoma has a composite bed. It works fine, but one cannot mount a 5th wheel hitch in the bed without making mods. That could be a big detractor in a full size pickup like the F150.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
MARKW8 wrote:

Mark

Mark

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
MARKW8 wrote:

Mark

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer

Mark