Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Ford V-6 Ecoboost vs V8

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/

Am I reading this correct? It appears the 2015 Ford F-150 with a 3.5L ecoboost engine has more towing capacity that the same vehicle with a V-8 engine.

Looking at a 2015 SuperCrew with 3.5L it has a GCWR of 16100 where as the same vehicle with a V-8 has only a 14200 GCWR. Why is that?

I am planning to buy a F-150 soon to replace my 2007 F-250 and I need to make sure it can still handle my camper. I have an Outback Terrain 250TRS that has 5483lbs empty weight and 2017lbs Carrying Capacity. Roughly 7500lbs total weight if fully loaded.
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel
86 REPLIES 86

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I have scoured the internet reading ecoboost posts, and can confidently say that folks with problems are a minority. Folks with problems to the extent that Mike has had are 1% or less of thousands of posts I've read. I believe this is really saying something, as usually bad experiences flood forums.

Regarding longevity, search on auto trader and you will see a huge listing of over 100k mile ecoboosts.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 was first year of the Ecoboost engine in the F150. It had been in other Ford cars in earlier years.

This is all anecdotal but the impression I've gotten from reading F150 and Ecoboost boards is the 2011 had a few more recurring problems than later editions. I suppose this is to be expected. Usually, the first year of anything generally has more issues to iron out.

spoon059 wrote:
mhamershock wrote:

Well, I'll complain. I have a 2011 and tow pretty heavy (8500) regularly. I have Max Tow but not HD, and I am right on limits. I did go E rated, bags, better shocks which helped the experience, but RAWR is not really where I need it.

IMHO this little motor does not have the duty cycle to handle real work more than part time, especially if you do it in high ambient air temps. It can struggle to shed heat when the turbos are working hard.

Mike

Just curious, is the 2011 the first year for the Ecoboost engine? I'm not being a smart aleck... I just don't know. I haven't heard many people complain about those types of issues with the Ecoboost before. I was under the impression they were generally doing very well.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:

Well, I'll complain. I have a 2011 and tow pretty heavy (8500) regularly. I have Max Tow but not HD, and I am right on limits. I did go E rated, bags, better shocks which helped the experience, but RAWR is not really where I need it.

I've had cooling fans fail, both exhaust manifolds warp, coolant leak at turbo (requires trans drop to get to the fitting), throttle body fail, hard shifts, and a few other things. 82K miles and not the most reliable motor I've owned. Thank goodness for extended warranty.

IMHO this little motor does not have the duty cycle to handle real work more than part time, especially if you do it in high ambient air temps. It can struggle to shed heat when the turbos are working hard.

All that said I don't think there is a more capable 1/2 ton than the EB 3.5, and when I get rid of this at 100K miles I will look at a MAx Tow/HD Payload version. I will also look at a diesel including the new Nissan 5.0 Cummins.

Mike

Your config sounds just like ours. And we too have beefed up the suspension. But I've had zero problems with the truck and engine, despite towing more than 8K 60% of the time. Still, ours has only 55K miles on it, and we move with the seasons to avoid the extremely hot and cold places.

The Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins or the F150HD are also looking like possible replacements for us down the road.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I can point you to a guy that has 300k miles with no issues. Sorry you had problems. You're in the minority.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhamershock wrote:

Mike

Just curious, is the 2011 the first year for the Ecoboost engine? I'm not being a smart aleck... I just don't know. I haven't heard many people complain about those types of issues with the Ecoboost before. I was under the impression they were generally doing very well.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
No complaints at all with my ECO! Smooth, quiet, powerful (fingers crossed) hoping for six more years of solid service from this truck!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Still waiting to see if/when Ford puts the Ecoboost into the 3/4 ton trucks. I wonder if Ford feels comfortable with the duty cycle required in a F250. Seems the engine is pretty nice and rarely do you hear an EB owner complaining about it. It would certainly open up options in the F-250. The EB upgrade is quite a bit cheaper than the diesel upgrade.

I've had cooling fans fail, both exhaust manifolds warp, coolant leak at turbo (requires trans drop to get to the fitting), throttle body fail, hard shifts, and a few other things. 82K miles and not the most reliable motor I've owned. Thank goodness for extended warranty.

All that said I don't think there is a more capable 1/2 ton than the EB 3.5, and when I get rid of this at 100K miles I will look at a MAx Tow/HD Payload version. I will also look at a diesel including the new Nissan 5.0 Cummins.

Mike

In my opinion if you're towing a trailer like yours very much, especially in less than ideal conditions, it pays to step up to a heavier duty truck. They are really a big step up in capability and the comfort penalty is extremely minor, and they don't cost substantially more. I actually prefer the way an HD truck rides and handles compared to a half ton because it feels like a real truck rather than a crossover SUV.

I actually had some interest in that Nissan Cummins as well but I was leery of an all new engine and when I looked at the price point I doubt I would have been able to get one for any less than I paid for my Ram. It is an intriguing option, though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Still waiting to see if/when Ford puts the Ecoboost into the 3/4 ton trucks. I wonder if Ford feels comfortable with the duty cycle required in a F250. Seems the engine is pretty nice and rarely do you hear an EB owner complaining about it. It would certainly open up options in the F-250. The EB upgrade is quite a bit cheaper than the diesel upgrade.

Mike

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
No camper, TT, fiver, or any type of trailer should ever be pulled that fast. Anyone that does isn't just putting themselves at risk but others that are nearby. Just because my vehicle can do 120 mph doesn't mean I should drive that fast. I have never seen a camper manufacturer rate their product for such speeds. I might be wrong on that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Rumtan wrote:
This forum has been very informative on most all topics, but this one has me the MOST intrigued. I have ordered a 3.5 EB with the tow package because I felt that my 5.3 GMC just did not have quite enough grunt, but I didn't want to go to a 2500. I have been reading the Ford forums and finally had to make up my own mind. I have a neighbour that bought his 3.5 EB last year and tows a similar TT, he loves the new truck. My truck (a Lariat) will be delivered late Sept or early Oct. I can only wait and read these posts till then.

I expect you are really going to like the EcoBoost. It should tow your trailer with ease and you will quickly get used to the quieter ride as you cruise down the road at 2k rpms.

Good luck to you,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
While the EB is a great engine for the F150 for GCVW of 15 to 17k, that is a light load for a F250! I run 20k with an 11k 5er in tow. Most of those sing the praises of the EB and running less than 15k GCVW, may sing a different tune if running a 18 to 22k GCVW.
Who knows maybe Ford has a 5.0 EB in development!

But it would be an option. You obviously didn't like the 6.2 liter engine and decided to pay more to get a diesel. Why can't people have the option? The sell shoes in different sizes now... why not engines? I think my Ram can pull almost 9 tons... that is insane to me. I don't need to pull that weight. I needed payload. A F-250 with higher payload and an optional Ecoboost engine, sold for substantially less than a diesel option, could be a great product for Ford.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Rumtan
Explorer
Explorer
This forum has been very informative on most all topics, but this one has me the MOST intrigued. I have ordered a 3.5 EB with the tow package because I felt that my 5.3 GMC just did not have quite enough grunt, but I didn't want to go to a 2500. I have been reading the Ford forums and finally had to make up my own mind. I have a neighbour that bought his 3.5 EB last year and tows a similar TT, he loves the new truck. My truck (a Lariat) will be delivered late Sept or early Oct. I can only wait and read these posts till then.
2013 Keystone Passport 2100RB
2015 F150 ecoboost
Fish-O-Holic;)

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
While the EB is a great engine for the F150 for GCVW of 15 to 17k, that is a light load for a F250! I run 20k with an 11k 5er in tow. Most of those sing the praises of the EB and running less than 15k GCVW, may sing a different tune if running a 18 to 22k GCVW.
Who knows maybe Ford has a 5.0 EB in development!

http://horsepowerkings.com/the-f-150-raptor-will-receive-the-ecoboost-5-0-twin-turbo-v8-in-2018/

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing more like 7 to 9.

What we've seen in countless posts is that all gas engines get about the same mpg when tasked with doing the same thing. When the amount of work done is the same the amount of fuel burnt is about the same too.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk