cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 ram 3500 jerking hard

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
It happens ever so often but today was a biggie. I was rolling to a red light foot off of the pedal and then the light turned green so I push on the gas to continue driving, then it happens. My truck jerks back and forward as if my engine just fell out or something. Truck only has 10k miles on it now. It's like the transmission is slipping hard. Anyone know what this is all about?
Active Duty Army (Fulltiming)
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Aisin Transmission, factory air ride suspension
2015 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS (SOLD)
2016 Voltage Triton 3451 TH

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"
62 REPLIES 62

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
steadypraying426 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,
Any update on getting your transmission corrected?

Yes, just got it back from the dealer. They said it was normal for the transmission. They also found that I needed a PCM update, which they did, but everything checked out just fine. I appreciate it. That's a first time I said thanks to a Ford owner lol!

Keep on trucking.... I have read that some PCM updates have improved shifting quality and dead pedal issues.

Well I guess this outcome shows that Ron knows what he is talking about, when it comes to Ram/Cummins issues. I would bet on him, even though a Ford person myself.

I shouldn't say this, but if I was looking to get a diesel truck, I would take a hard look at the Ram. I've never even ridden in one!

Jerry

It was no surprise that the dealer said it was normal. There's been a lot a ram owners like the OP here complain about the shift compliance being less than refined and sometimes the PCM upgrades have helped some and some no dice.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
It's too bad the transmission can't be controlled by the throttle instead of the CAFE/EPA.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
FishOnOne wrote:
steadypraying426 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,

Yes, just got it back from the dealer. They said it was normal for the transmission. They also found that I needed a PCM update, which they did, but everything checked out just fine. I appreciate it. That's a first time I said thanks to a Ford owner lol!

Keep on trucking.... I have read that some PCM updates have improved shifting quality and dead pedal issues.

Well I guess this outcome shows that Ron knows what he is talking about, when it comes to Ram/Cummins issues. I would bet on him, even though a Ford person myself.

I shouldn't say this, but if I was looking to get a diesel truck, I would take a hard look at the Ram. I've never even ridden in one!

Jerry

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
steadypraying426 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
My 68RFE gas been great. Doesn't do any of that stuff. Only complaint is tow haul and the exhaust brake can be too aggressive when working together.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Some people could break an anvil!
Every year, more people think their perfectly designed new vehicle with every electronic control and nanny imaginable can be driven without regard to proper technique...... And while new vehicles are largely protected from idiot moves that would leave a trans scattered on the roadway 20 years ago, it's still possible to be dumber than the vehicle systems can overcome!
That said, I agree the factory shift programming of the 68rfe trans leaves a bunch to be desired, or to put it more bluntly, sucks. Drive a 68 equipped truck with good aftermarket trans tuning and you'll wet yer pants how much better it is!
This is not all Rams fault though. Trying to reach epa standards result in less than desirable drive ability characterisitcs in many vehicles.

Best thing to do with a 68 is run the he!! out of it right out of the box. The trans will perform much better. I had no issues with the 68 in my 11 HO Dually for 65K towing 28-29K combined.

I will say the Aisin does shift better in my opinion. It is simply a very solid trans.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
steadypraying426 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,

Nice to hear they confirmed what I said that it's normal.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update. I'm feeling pretty good about my "lowly" G56 manual transmission truck sitting in the garage right now. ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Some people could break an anvil!
Every year, more people think their perfectly designed new vehicle with every electronic control and nanny imaginable can be driven without regard to proper technique...... And while new vehicles are largely protected from idiot moves that would leave a trans scattered on the roadway 20 years ago, it's still possible to be dumber than the vehicle systems can overcome!
That said, I agree the factory shift programming of the 68rfe trans leaves a bunch to be desired, or to put it more bluntly, sucks. Drive a 68 equipped truck with good aftermarket trans tuning and you'll wet yer pants how much better it is!
This is not all Rams fault though. Trying to reach epa standards result in less than desirable drive ability characterisitcs in many vehicles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
OP,

Active Duty Army (Fulltiming)
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Aisin Transmission, factory air ride suspension
2015 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS (SOLD)
2016 Voltage Triton 3451 TH

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
OP,

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 Dodge tranny SLAMS and I mean SLAMS hard at times. Occurs when slowing towards a stop then lightly accelerating. Has always done that. There was a TSB for a reflash years ago. Had that done with zero effect. Dealers decided it was 'normal'. Only happens when I have the exhaust brake and/or tow haul on. I now have both turned off when in city driving. Rarely use tow haul on highway as well. I've found manually shifting works better. So problem is still there, I've just learned how to deal with it.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NinerBikes wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bigfoot affair wrote:
steadypraying426 It happens ever so often but today was a biggie. I was rolling to a red light foot off of the pedal and then the light turned green so I push on the gas to continue driving, then it happens. My truck jerks back and forward as if my engine just fell out or something. Truck only has 10k miles on it now. It's like the transmission is slipping hard. Anyone know what this is all about?

Cummins12V98 wrote:
It is NOT a problem. You are at that moment where it drops into 1st that in reality is like having a granny low then immediately it hits 2nd so it causes a jerking motion the harder you are pushing the go pedal the more noticeable it is. It's not slipping and the engine is not falling out.

These Aisin's act a lot like a "built" trans, that is a good thing.

Really, a good thing? OP, I suggest you take it in and have the dealer look at it.

The Aisin trans is not your typical slush box trans that has slippery smooth shifts. They are firm and the op had a situation that can happen when there is such a difference in ratios between 1st and second. Like I said with the Aisin in first it's like Granny low with a stick shift.

Op take it to the dealer if you want, please let us know what they say.

This is exactly what my Touareg TDI will do with an Aisin 8 speed gearbox between 1st and 2nd gear if I don't feather the throttle properly in stop and go traffic. Sometimes you are at an "in betweener" speed where the gears shift. If you get on the throttle too quick, or too hard, this clunk happens. No amount of reprogramming will fix it, the ratios jumps between 1st and 2nd gear are big, 1st is like a low first in a 4x4, 2nd is like 1st in a truck without a granny gear.

Feather the throttle gently with a diesel, problems and clunks mostly solved by educating your foot on proper, gentle application of throttle when first accelerating. Roll your foot into the throttle, don't mash it. The Aisin is a good, tough gear box, don't abuse it, drive it smooth, and it will last a long, long time. Patience.

Nice to see someone else understands!

nofoolin
Explorer
Explorer
My gas Chevy 6 speed does the same thing under similar conditions. Many Chevy owner comment about this. Mine doesn't sound as dramatic as you describe. Hope they fix your Ram. Mine is considered "normal".