Did you mean: 

2016 Ford Superduty Looks Hot!

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Spy Photos of the 2016 Ford Superduty engineers roasting marshmallows

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized
43 REPLIES 43

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I heard about a guy that died in a super duty aluminum fire because he was wearing his seat belt.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try posting the link again, but in my limited internet experience, rv.net is one of the more difficult forums to post links on, for whatever reason.

Should the links attached still not work, then you can easily go to youtube directly, and type in 2016 Super Duty Fire in the search terms, and these videos should come up within the first 10 results. You are looking for the video from "worldcarfans", which was the third relevant result returned.

The first two YouTube search results purport to be videos, but they are merely slide shows of the same photos you've already seen from Autoblog's website, presented with a "Ken Burns" effect of slow pans and dissolving transitions, set to loud music that I found obnoxious. Don't click on those... they represent what is sick about society... taking other people's still pictures, wrapping music and effects around them, and presenting them as "video" in order to harvest clicks and advertising dollars.

To my knowledge, there is only one REAL video that has been posted thus far of the incident. I imagine there was more than one video taken, but this is the only one I found. It includes the brightest explosion in front of the truck, discussed previously, at second mark 0:47.

The original raw video of the 2016 Super Duty fire

PS... I tested the link this time. It works as of this writing. If it doesn't work later, there is nothing I can do about it.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
BigToe wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Sorry Ben, no "chemistry" took place. No cover up. No Government conspiracy. No crashed UFO's. No alien autopsy. None of that.

This is what happened right before the picture was taken.

Turtle N Peeps, in order to have any appreciation for your best guesses from afar based on your past life experience, we first have to wade through the condescending, know-it-all tone you posted them with..

The videos you posted showed a bumper shock explosion (Ford trucks don't have bumper shocks) and an air bag explosion. Rather than make inferences based on videos of other car fires, let's instead look at the video of the actual prototype Super Duty fire that we are discussing:

2016 Super Duty Aluminum Prototype burns to the ground

Well that was cool ^^^^. :B LOL Might want to fix your link. :S

LMAO That link was impressive!
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Sorry Ben, no "chemistry" took place. No cover up. No Government conspiracy. No crashed UFO's. No alien autopsy. None of that.

Turtle N Peeps, in order to have any appreciation for your best guesses from afar based on your past life experience, we first have to wade through the condescending, know-it-all tone you posted them with..

The videos you posted showed a bumper shock explosion (Ford trucks don't have bumper shocks) and an air bag explosion. Rather than make inferences based on videos of other car fires, let's instead look at the video of the actual prototype Super Duty fire that we are discussing:

Well that was cool ^^^^. :B LOL Might want to fix your link. :S
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea if the Ford "explosion" was caused by aluminum or not. I do know that if my truck catches on fire I want it to completely burn up and an explosion is an added bonus so long as no one is hurt.

Like Ford, I don't want to take the chance my insurance company might try to have it fixed. Its harder to find all of the parts after an explosion. 🙂
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to settle this is purposely set one on fire and we all stand around
poking at it till it explodes... :B

Am not stuck on this in either case...just wondering out loud why the
whole body burned down...where as other aluminum bodied fires I've
seen pictures of...shows the body pretty much in tact. Smaller too,
so closer to the engine fire. That then leads to another question...did
the bed also burn? As the report posted says the whole thing burned
down to the frame rails...why?

You folks living around me who bought one of these be careful to keep'm
garaged...there might be a mystery fire some night... 😉

Know too much about those bumper shocks...cousin quit as a Sargent in
Calif Highway Patrol back in the 80's

Always told his troopers to NOT walk between them after a crash...but
one trooper did...it destroyed both his knees and wheel chair bound
because artificial stuff wasn't that good back then. Wasn't a fire, but
they compressed and got stuck compressed...to release later with no
warning...

The straw that broke his back was after one accident and the mom was
yelling about her child...he found the lifeless infant underneath the
dash and was the day he quit...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
BenK wrote:
These comments are my 'guesses' as to what 'most likely' took place
Again, as turtle pointed out, aluminum as most know it is stable and
does NOT burn easily. It will if the right circumstances are in place

I'm not a chemistry wizard, just a dumb fireman. It's my dumb fireman's guess that the explosive shower of sparks was caused by SRS components cooking off like Turtle thought, or possibly magnesium components. Magnesium burns spectacularly, as any firefighter who's attempted to extinguish a burning old-style VW engine block will attest.

Frame 19, look familiar? This is as close as it gets to Bens posted picture.

rjstractor thank you for your service. Be safe out there.

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Was the trailer loaded with the new-easier filling DEF tanks?
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

westend
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought, when seeing the photo of the explosion mentioned, that it looked like Magnesium in the mix, too. But, if you look closely, all of the white particles are whole, not giving off any energy (heat or light). My guess is an air bag exploding in it's stored location and what the white stuff is are components of the dashboard. In any event, it's an instantaneous pressure release and not caused by aluminum reacting. I'm with T&P, it's something going off with stored pressure.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not a metallurgist or a chemical engineer....but in watching those series of pictures as the fire evolves in the new Ford pickup, does cause me concern.

There is definitely what appears to be an explosion... showers of white sparks spraying around the middle frame, of the pictures series.

I don't know if a truck of regular construction (non aluminum-alloy body) would burn as fiercely as this truck did.

I would be interested in knowing if this is the case. It does make me wonder if the aluminum alloy mix used in this prototype truck is more of a fire concern, than typical material (no aluminum-alloy) used in other trucks.

Again, I don't know, but I would certainly want to know. I think it would be valuable for Ford, to provide a public report, developed and presented by an independent engineering firm.

If the burn that took place in the prototype is no different than what would happen in non aluminum alloy vehicles...then that would be important consumer info.

If not.....

Just MO.

Part of any development program in developing vehicles....is thorough testing of prototypes...to see if there are any issues, that needed to be corrected, before regular production.

I'm assuming that this is the process Ford will follow.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
BenK wrote:
These comments are my 'guesses' as to what 'most likely' took place
Again, as turtle pointed out, aluminum as most know it is stable and
does NOT burn easily. It will if the right circumstances are in place

I'm not a chemistry wizard, just a dumb fireman. It's my dumb fireman's guess that the explosive shower of sparks was caused by SRS components cooking off like Turtle thought, or possibly magnesium components. Magnesium burns spectacularly, as any firefighter who's attempted to extinguish a burning old-style VW engine block will attest.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
No crashed UFO's. No alien autopsy. None of that

Oh, come on Turtle, this was starting to get interesting.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
During the initial phases of the fire...the aluminum body continued to
be stable as Turtle points out...it is just before this image that the
'chemistry' took place

Sorry Ben, no "chemistry" took place. No cover up. No Government conspiracy. No crashed UFO's. No alien autopsy. None of that. :B

Just a plain old mechanical pressure explosion.

This is what happened right before the picture was taken. Or something just like this. There are a lot of things under pressure in a modern automobile. Even explosive devices. (Tough to be a fire fighter now days. My hat is off to you guys for doing a very dangerous job)

Have several hundred lbs of molten aluminum hanging around and add something full of pressure blowing up, and take the picture just at the right time, (more than likely a frame taken from a video)and you get the picture you posted.

Nothing more, nothing less. 🙂

outside the fire"