cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 F350 impressions.

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Traded my 2016 F350 CCSBSRW Powerstroke Lariat for 2017 same except got the King Ranch. What a huge difference! Rides so much better, so much quieter especially wind noise, solid feeling chassis, features and comfort. Sync 3 definitely better. Phone hooks up immediately. So far, very impressed!
26 REPLIES 26

womps
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
1jeep wrote:
ill keep my antique 2016 model, going up hills it stays in 6th gear doing 65mph using cruise.

I am curious what gear ratio your truck has, 3:31? 6th to 4th is a big drop for a diesel.

It has the 3:31 ratio. My 2016 had the 3:55 ratio. Yet both turning over at 1,500 rpm at 60 mph.

Going from 6th to 4th gear only increases the revs by about 700 rpm. I checked when towing again today. Towed into a heavy headwind. Locked it in 5th and didn't use cruise and it towed it effortlessly.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:

Talked to another camper last night pulling his 5th wheel with his 17 Lariat 350 with the Powerstroke and he said he will drop about 5 mph when using cruise before it decides to step on it to get up to its pre set speed.

Same issue with my Ram 2500 Cummins. Not specific to Ford. Guess they allow a substantial speed drop on the off chance that you can get over that hill without any downshift. Sometimes it works that way ...

But I lockout 6th if the downshifts under cruise get too tiresome in the hills, or will manually downshift at the base of a hill if I know it will happen anyway (less roaring as the speed is maintained that way). Or just lock out cruise and do it all manually if I'm in the mood.

Dunno if GMs cruise is any different.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

womps
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
blofgren wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
womps wrote:
Towed 5th wheel first time. Cruise control basically useless. Going up a moderate grade will loose 7 mph then kick down to 4th to catch up. If I don't use cruise it will go up the same grade without shifting out of 6th. Same going down a small grade. Speed increases about 7mph before the exhaust brake decides to try and slow you down. Regardless of setting, the exhaust brake doesn't do much. Not impressive!

I'm not sure if you quite understand how the exhaust brake works on these trucks but after turning it on and pushing the brakes with enough force to scrub off a MPH or two it kicks right in and keeps speed within a few MPH of the current speed on mine, I am extremely happy with how it works on mine, it's an improvement from my 2013 and I found that one to work decent too, but not as aggressive as the 17.

I think he was referring to how it works on cruise control. By letting the truck speed up 7 mph before kicking in, you are already going too fast, especially on the grades here in the West.

In that case it must be some pretty serious grades, probably a good idea to be turning cruise off and actually having manual imput to the braking system. Cruise obviously isn't optimal in the big grades out west.

They were not big grades at all. Longer mild grades. The cruise while pulling is definitely not performing to make using it enjoyable. Talked to another camper last night pulling his 5th wheel with his 17 Lariat 350 with the Powerstroke and he said he will drop about 5 mph when using cruise before it decides to step on it to get up to its pre set speed.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
womps wrote:
Towed 5th wheel first time. Cruise control basically useless. Going up a moderate grade will loose 7 mph then kick down to 4th to catch up. If I don't use cruise it will go up the same grade without shifting out of 6th. Same going down a small grade. Speed increases about 7mph before the exhaust brake decides to try and slow you down. Regardless of setting, the exhaust brake doesn't do much. Not impressive!

I'm not sure if you quite understand how the exhaust brake works on these trucks but after turning it on and pushing the brakes with enough force to scrub off a MPH or two it kicks right in and keeps speed within a few MPH of the current speed on mine, I am extremely happy with how it works on mine, it's an improvement from my 2013 and I found that one to work decent too, but not as aggressive as the 17.

I think he was referring to how it works on cruise control. By letting the truck speed up 7 mph before kicking in, you are already going too fast, especially on the grades here in the West.

In that case it must be some pretty serious grades, probably a good idea to be turning cruise off and actually having manual imput to the braking system. Cruise obviously isn't optimal in the big grades out west.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
womps wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
womps wrote:
1jeep wrote:
ill keep my antique 2016 model, going up hills it stays in 6th gear doing 65mph using cruise.

I am curious what gear ratio your truck has, 3:31? 6th to 4th is a big drop for a diesel.

It has the 3:31 ratio. My 2016 had the 3:55 ratio. Yet both turning over at 1,500 rpm at 60 mph.

I wonder if the tire size is the same, just saying 18" wheels doesn't explain the actual circumference. If the tires are the same, the actual RPM will change.

Tires are 18" on both trucks. 2016 had Michelins and 2017 has Continentals.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
1jeep wrote:

I wonder if the tire size is the same, just saying 18" wheels doesn't explain the actual circumference. If the tires are the same, the actual RPM will change.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome! My friend finally ditched his 6.0 and bought a 2016 last fall. The 16 was amazing, I can only imagine how much better the 2017's are! Enjoy!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

womps
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Up fitters require the 'C' (same old)channel frame.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
When you figure how long Ford has been milking the SD platform/chassis (1999) its not surprising the 2017 feels light years ahead of the '16.

In all fairness only the actual cab and bed design stayed the same, the frame, suspension and drivetrain had changed quite a bit over the years and was still very relevant up till last year, it certainly wasn't a dinosaur. I know, I just went from a 13 to a 17.

Same old C-channel frame that has been lacking the comps boxed frame for about the last 5-6 years
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II

2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Our 05 chev is the same. It will just stay in fifth and the speed goes lower until a downshift so I hit the button to go to 4th and let the engine run free.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110