cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 Ford Superduty Beds

bjohns
Explorer
Explorer
Any reports on any bed issues from anyone with the 2017 Ford Superduty? We're wondering how the aluminum beds on these trucks hold up to loading and unloading truck campers.
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I would expect they hold up as well as any. Sure, time will tell but I wouldn't be afraid that Ford didn't think about putting heavy things in the bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GaryT
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can tell you are not supposed to use the aluminum camper bed as tie down for a slide in camper. So decided to go with TorqueLift frame mounted tie downs in SRW 2017 Crew Cap with 6.2L gas with a 2004 NorthernLite 10.2 camper (~2350 # dry).

Just ran this rig over the Denali highway, which is the old road into Denali National Pak with no problems. The Denali Highway is 100 miles of gravel 30 miles of poor pavement. It is good test of your vehicles tires and suspension. It is also known to claim a transmission of two. It also has a 100 mile stretch without cell service.

Ride was better then my old 2005 F350 with 6.0L diesel which developed a dramatic high pressure oil leak. 500 PSI minimum is required to fire the injectors on that vehicle and when Ford tech service said you had to remove the cab, it wasn't worth cost to fix it, so asked the Ford dealership what to you have that replace it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It doesn't seem to be a good test to add wood to raise it. I doubt the aluminum will have an issue though since most people would use some type of liner.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
GVW is registration-related number and different truck is not going to change it.
All depends how much registration you are wiling to pay.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
Un-related to the Bed Issue; What is the GVW now?
The 2016 F350 SRW is 11,500
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another test for aluminium bed.
Picked up "new" camper that needed lot of shimming to clear the rails.
Dealer had stripes of 1" plywood, but had to add 2x4 under, so basically 4000 lb camper was sitting on 2 pcs of 2x4.
I have factory bed mat, but after unloading camper at home, lift the mat to check the ribs.
No problem.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My truck is 6 over stock, the bed height is 37" off the ground and when I load my TC, I have the jacks extended all the way and no room for any more travel.

First time I loaded it, I was thinking I'd need blocks under the jack legs. Not quite.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

The Chevy anti-aluminum advertisements show loaded metal tool boxes being dropped on their corners, or large chunks of crushed stone being dumped by a loader from several feet.

You wouldn't do this to your steel bed either.

Chevy is just upset that Ford thought of this first. ๐Ÿ™‚
Camp Host, from the other side.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Mine bed is still pristine after 7000 miles on the truck, 1500 with camper.
The sides are tall and I had to add plywood to clear the cabin.
I was skeptic about strength of tailgate, but when I was loading roof tiles, I had about 500 lb on tailgate with no problem.

I was told it was 3" higher is that true? or is the whole truck 3" taller?

Yes..
Was 19" it is now 22".
I had to build a platform too.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
While I don't have any direct experience, thinking logically and critically about this, I would have to conclude that the beds will hold up just fine, and here's why:

Any rough handling of the camper that would damage the bed, would also damage the camper. Since you don't want to damage the camper, odds are you will be careful to the point where you won't damage the bed.

The Chevy anti-aluminum advertisements show loaded metal tool boxes being dropped on their corners, or large chunks of crushed stone being dumped by a loader from several feet. You won't be doing either of those things with your camper, so I would not have a moment's worry about the aluminum beds.

Don't want to start a Ford / Chevy debate (and I don'rt really care about debates, I rub what I run... but...

That steel bed thing is total advertising phooey, makes no difference and the steel bed, if you drop concrete and / or a loaded toolbox corned on a steel bed, it dents too. I know, I have adent in mine (97 Ford F350, steel bed, from just that, dropping a toolbox.

The only reason GM blows about the steel versus aluminum is Ford's beat them to the introduction, GM was working on an aluminum body, bed but Fords beat them too it.

All it is, pure unadulterated phooey.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think Ford hid the fact that the entire body was going to be aluminum on the Super Duty trucks. They were pretty clear about it in the commercials I've seen.

GM doesn't poke fun at Ford's aluminum body panels, because 2014-up Silverado/Sierra 1500s all have aluminum hoods.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
No problem with the bed so far.
I recently pulled out my old emergency CB radio to see if it would still key up. The magnetic antenna would not stick, anywhere. It is not just the bed that's aluminum, it's the entire body.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
tattoobob wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Mine bed is still pristine after 7000 miles on the truck, 1500 with camper.
The sides are tall and I had to add plywood to clear the cabin.
I was skeptic about strength of tailgate, but when I was loading roof tiles, I had about 500 lb on tailgate with no problem.

I was told it was 3" higher is that true? or is the whole truck 3" taller?

Mine is RWD and old truck was 2007 RWD.
By the feel the truck floor is about the same level, but on older truck I had good gap between camper sides and bed railing.
On new one when 1st I set it, the sides of the camper were resting on railings even with factory mat, what adds at least 3/8"
So with 3/4" plywood I am good to drive, but loading without seeing how the camper goes into bed blocks has to be with high precision.
In some moments the only help was flat phone camera.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Here's a video on the Chevy commercial where the maker of the video explains why he feels the commercial was deceptive.

More some since the reports I've seen GM is going the aluminum beds also.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.