Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 f150 max tow package

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

After being on here for a few years, we finally pulled the trigger on a 2018 F150 SCREW. End of year rebates were too juicy to pass up. Won't be able to get a super duty until DH retires. It's magnetic gray and OH so pretty! DH is really happy. Here's the specs:

3.5 v6 Ecoboost
Max tow pkg
3.55 rear axle
1786 payload
145" wheelbase
4x4
18" wheels
7000# GVWR package

I waited very patiently to get the most payload I could (thanks to you all!) and this is as close as it gets without a payload package. My kids are grown and almost grown but I do have a developmentally disabled son who will be here for the long haul. So basically 3 adults, we are all tall so about 600 pounds including the dog (f150 is a dream for tall people, so roomy!). Other kids drive and likely won't be with us in the TV but can follow in another car. We usually camp within 2 hours of home, but that can sometimes include some mountainous driving.

The TT I'm looking at is:

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2018-jay-feather/23bhm/

It says Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4980
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 570
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 6250
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1270
Exterior Width 96"
Interior Height 78"
Wheel Base 202"

How do these numbers look? What issues should I look out for with my configuration? We will be getting a spray in bedliner which will add some weight (how much?). Is the extended gas tank weight included in the payload? It's weighed with a full tank of gas, correct? Do we need bigger wheels?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to finally getting to shop for a trailer. I know this one seems small, but we enjoy the outdoors and won't be in it much. Need the bathroom, and a bed for me, vault toilets are just THE WORST. lol

Thanks for reading! ๐Ÿ™‚
24 REPLIES 24

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^So you're saying that someone with presumably little to no experience towing won't get a feel for pulling ____size or weight trailer by renting one and towing it?
That's strange. Sure different trailers have different weight distribution etc, but what would you suggest as a more pertinent experience than hooking up a similar size trailer and going for a drive?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
Thank you all for your replies! I think renting a trailer at that weight is an excellent idea. I found a local rv rental place that rents an TT that's within a couple of pounds of the one I'm looking at. It's a foot or two longer but I'm hoping it will still give us a good idea of what it would be like. We are going to rent it sometime, load it up and camp locally and see what happens. Thanks for the idea, and for all the feedback. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along. ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy New Year to all, and Happy Camping.

If you like the trailers floor plan you want get it!!!
You will be within all your trucks specs as long as you dont put over 500lbs in the bed of the truck. Keep that number a little number and you are golden. Get a good weight distribution hitch and hit the road.
I for one am COMPLETELY against renting a trailer to get a towing feel.
Every trailer tows differently no matter the weight...that's a fact
Will the trailer rental company be there on the road with you to dial in the weight distribution hitch like you could if it were your own trailer? I think not and that's the biggest downfall. Any trailer can tow completely night and day different with a poorly set up WDH and a close to perfectly set WDH. You may rent a trailer and absolutely hate the way it pulls because the hitch isn't set correctly and then you will have many doubts. Unless renting a class A B or C just to go on a trip in renting a pull behind to get a feel I think is some of the worst advice ever IMHO.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies! I think renting a trailer at that weight is an excellent idea. I found a local rv rental place that rents an TT that's within a couple of pounds of the one I'm looking at. It's a foot or two longer but I'm hoping it will still give us a good idea of what it would be like. We are going to rent it sometime, load it up and camp locally and see what happens. Thanks for the idea, and for all the feedback. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along. ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy New Year to all, and Happy Camping.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
E tires will make tire flex a non part of the equation. Up to 80psi vs 40-50psi means you can make them up to 100% stiffer than P tires.
And yes itโ€™s noticable.
But it may not be necessary. I rountinely run cheap OE P truck tires with trailers.
Fwiw 50psi + in even a 44 psi rated tire pressure will not hurt the tire. I have to use up the P rated tires on every new work truck I get and usually set the rears at 50-55psi because Iโ€™m always carrying a load in the bed and frequenstly towing. Never had a problem but D or E tires are good peace of mind and add stability and tire capacity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
X2 On JIMNLIN... pumping my wifeโ€™s 2006 explorer rear tires up from door sticker 35 to sidewall max 44 made a world of difference towing our small hybrid trailer on the highway, even though we were not exceeding the tires weight rating for 35 psi
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Pump those P tires to the max sidewall and make a trip and decide for yourself if you need LT E. I've tried LT E on different 1/2 ton trucks pulling all types and sizes of trailers. Always went back to a P tire

Most P tire go to 44 psi and some can go to 51 psi. Ignore the tire placard psi rating when carrying a load or pulling a good size trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

KM_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
With good packing, a good WDH, and some E rated tires I would not hesitate to pull that coast to coast.

Congrats on your new truck!
Kevin & Mary
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed - For Sale
2020 Ford F350 6.7 PSD 4X4 DRW CC LB
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We made several cross country trips with almost the same combination. Our trailer was 5300 dry (6500 on scale and packed). You will have to be a little concerned about the CCC on that trailer (not much...just be aware), and you will possibly get close on rear axle of the truck (I did).

The engine will pull it like nobodies business. The braking on long downhills in the Rockies will require skilled driving.

We added E rated tires and it was a noticeable improvement.

With a few minor things to be aware of, you will have a beautifully matched setup and tow about as easy as anything on the road.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a little confused about the 202 inch wheelbase, was that maybe the trailer length?
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Truck and TT will be a great combo. I wouldn't worry about the tires until you go out and tow with them. Maxing out the psi on the tires will help. Get a good WDH and go have fun.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 3.5 Ecoboost F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 with the Max Tow package and 3.73 rear end. Payload capacity is 1828lbs.

I had the same issues trying to find the color I wanted(which wasn't common- Sunset Metallic)with the specs i wanted.
Finally found this one which I absolutely love.
I tow a 26 and 1/2ft TT that weighs a little over 6000lbs loaded and the F150 handles it through our Western mountain ranges with ease.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's the side flex that can and WILL get ya with the weak sidewall on the OE tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 with a payload about 1700lbs. I towed a TT short under 7,000 lbs and had it weighed, added 950 to tongue weight. Tho I was solo you should be just fine....

Agree with Cummins above, insure you have good tires on truck.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do your self a favor and sell the tires that came on it and replace with a set of "E" rated tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD