cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Ford Expedition

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a nice vehicle, but I'm not sure what to say about that dial knob business.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
23 REPLIES 23

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:

Does ANY new vehicle with an automatic transmission - no matter if steering wheel column shifter, floor shifter, or whichever - actually have the shifter directly connected to the transmission by a cable or rod?

What about when locking the tranny into park? It sure feels like I'm mechanically putting that parking pawl in place with the 68RFE in the RAM Cummins.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a fan of the knob either. If you have a low voltage situation, can you even get the tranny out of park, say if you needed to push it out of a parking spot to give it a jump start? The rest of it sounds pretty good, I know that ecoboost is incredible. I still think Ford should bring back the Excursion for big families that like to pull a camper.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So, is the dial knob "shifter" the way of the future? A friend bought a Ram truck last year and it has the dial knob shifter.

Just weird to me... I don't think it will change how the transmission works, as almost all vehicles have had cable-less "computer shifting" for years now. Does ANY new vehicle with an automatic transmission - no matter if steering wheel column shifter, floor shifter, or whichever - actually have the shifter directly connected to the transmission by a cable or rod?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Hate the dial knob!

I don't like it either, I'd rather see the old push button gear selector than a twist knob.
But, in the future, probably everything will be a knob if it's cheaper.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
id love one for half of what they will charge
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasmnile wrote:
From the Detroit Free Press

I read the FREEP column. Looks like Ford is swinging for the fences here. But I wonder, is the 3.5L Ecoboost enough engine in this application for towing? The low profile tires (20" or 22" on the Platinum Edition, doesn't that affect towing? Are these multi-speed trannys CVT or what? Exterior kinda pedestrian, but how much styling can you do with a shoebox? Interior is certainly nice and can be ordered chock full of gee whiz gadgets. Last quesition: How much $$$$$$?

Go to the "2017 F150 and Titan Ike Gauntlet" thread and check out the video of the 2017 Eco Boost pull. That engine never broke a sweat pulling that load with the new 10 speed tranny.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Hate the dial knob!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
From the Detroit Free Press

I read the FREEP column. Looks like Ford is swinging for the fences here. But I wonder, is the 3.5L Ecoboost enough engine in this application for towing? The low profile tires (20" or 22" on the Platinum Edition, doesn't that affect towing? Are these multi-speed trannys CVT or what? Exterior kinda pedestrian, but how much styling can you do with a shoebox? Interior is certainly nice and can be ordered chock full of gee whiz gadgets. Last quesition: How much $$$$$$?

zombojoe
Explorer
Explorer
Payload and towing specs should be increased from previous Expeditions due to the lighter weight and more power thanks to that gen2 Ecoboost (375 hp, 470 tq), but I think you're right to be iffy about the dial knob. A proper tow vehicle, no matter how much power or gears to utilize that power, should at least allow the driver to choose what gear they want, especially on the hills.