Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Ram HD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
As my good friend Fish says....Enjoy!
New 2019 Ram HD
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
80 REPLIES 80

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OK all you knowledgable people WHY have we not heard about CP4.2 pump failures like we used to??????

All mfg have upped the fuel filtration systems. The CP4.2 does not like any moisture. All diesel fuel contains some moisture and contaminants.

Higher pressure pumps simply can not handle contaminated fuel. You cant fix the fuel problem so you must be able to treat the fuel problem.

yeah well what about all the 2011-2013's driving around with OEM filtration for that MY? where's the catastrophic failures?

I am not going to answer it for you but a simple Google search will find your answer.

so you don't know then

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OK all you knowledgable people WHY have we not heard about CP4.2 pump failures like we used to??????

All mfg have upped the fuel filtration systems. The CP4.2 does not like any moisture. All diesel fuel contains some moisture and contaminants.

Higher pressure pumps simply can not handle contaminated fuel. You cant fix the fuel problem so you must be able to treat the fuel problem.

yeah well what about all the 2011-2013's driving around with OEM filtration for that MY? where's the catastrophic failures?

I am not going to answer it for you but a simple Google search will find your answer.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
All three of my Ram trucks were taco born, believe. Can not really confirm that on the 93.

Extra cab most likely Mexican, regular cab most likely US.

I have owned 2 US Made and 3 Mex.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
All three of my Ram trucks were taco born, believe. Can not really confirm that on the 93.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I donโ€™t think I have ever said I wonโ€™t buy one but I never liked how people were denied coverage. I would not hesitate to buy a 2020. The good far outweighs the bad owning. RAM.

Good luck! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I donโ€™t think I have ever said I wonโ€™t buy one but I never liked how people were denied coverage. I would not hesitate to buy a 2020. The good far outweighs the bad owning. RAM.

2020, even if they don't move production back to the USA?

Have no need to buy a new truck mine tows 33-35k combine just fine. But if in the market I would still buy a MEXICAN ASSEMBLED RAM with mostly USMade components.

2020 will be US Made
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2020, even if they don't move production back to the USA?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Me Again wrote:
The failures of the early CP4's both 1 and 2's was the piston with a roller follower getting turned sideways to the pumps cam lobe. Bosch was unwilling to pay the holder of a patent to keep the piston from turning in the bore.

The Metal that contaminate the fuel system was from the roller and cam lobe.

They have been working to fix the issue.

This page shows a picture of a damaged roller. Fig 3

https://www.matec-conferences.org/articles/matecconf/pdf/2017/32/matecconf_icce2017_00020.pdf

This may be the Edelbrock patent that Bosch was unwilling to pay royalties to use.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6473964B1/en

What do you consider early pumps?

2016 Ecodiesel cp4.2 failure Clicky

2016 Duramax cp4.2 failure clicky

2016 Powerstroke cp4.2 failure clicky

I could waste half the day posting this ****, they haven't made any changes to the pump to prevent the piston from turning in the bore...

Unless, Cummins installed a failure disaster device to save the rest of the fuel system... Aftermarket has them out for the Powerstroke Disaster prevention

Fuel contamination can lead to the piston in the bore. Ford had little or no WIF detection, which put them on the front page of the issue. And NO I WOULD NOT buy a truck with a CP4.

And I agree. Read a million times fuel contamination and high pressure pumps = failure.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Me Again wrote:
The failures of the early CP4's both 1 and 2's was the piston with a roller follower getting turned sideways to the pumps cam lobe. Bosch was unwilling to pay the holder of a patent to keep the piston from turning in the bore.

https://www.matec-conferences.org/articles/matecconf/pdf/2017/32/matecconf_icce2017_00020.pdf

This may be the Edelbrock patent that Bosch was unwilling to pay royalties to use.

I could waste half the day posting this ****, they haven't made any changes to the pump to prevent the piston from turning in the bore...

Unless, Cummins installed a failure disaster device to save the rest of the fuel system... Aftermarket has them out for the Powerstroke Disaster prevention

Fuel contamination can lead to the piston in the bore issues. Ford had little or no WIF detection, which put them on the front page of the issue. And NO I WOULD NOT buy a truck with a CP4.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
double post

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Huntindog wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Bigfoot affair wrote:

LOL, you are wrong!

The .2 doesn't mean revision, it means that it is a two piston pump. CP4.1 one piston, CP4.2 two piston.

Yes, internet is full of CP4.1 and CP4.2 failures, I think you already know but just choose to think its ok because Ram/Cummins is now using it... unreal!

I have not heard of anyone having any problems with the .2 pumps. I have one in my Ecodiesel and it is in Ford and GM diesels. When Ford came out with the 6.7 PS both Ford and GM had many CP 4.1 pumps fail.

Then Bosch went to the CP 4.2 and no more failures. At least not like we where seeing with the .1 pumps. Are there .2 failures, yes but nothing near what the .1 pumps where failing.

The difference is Ford flat out refused to protect their customers and GM stepped up and warrantied their trucks.

I would not think twice about buying a diesel with the CP 4.2 pump no mater the maker.

Don
The .1 is single piston (used in smaller motors such as the VW) and the .2 is a 2 piston for larger motors such as the GM/Ford, and now Ram HDs. The .2 IS NOT a revised pump... Just a 2 cylinder pump.

They all have catastrophic failures that cost about 10K to repair.

GM quit using them around 2017. They paid out a LOT in warranty claims. For did not pay out so much, as they denied a lot of claims. They still use the CP4.2.

Isn't that what I said? The Ram crowed are like horses with blinders on...

The biggest problem for the CP4 is North American fuel and the amount of lubricity in it, sure water and poor filtration are factors as well. People just need to know that the CP4 is fragile and doesn't take much to cause problems.. Google "[COLOR=]Bosch CP4.2 lubricity"

I honestly think that this has been going on for so long people are not posting about the failures as much, just the cost of business of you want to drive a LML Duramax or a 6.7 Powerstroke & now Ram with the Cummins...

Yes, you have 5 years or 100k to have it fixed under warranty. What good does that do you when your on vacation sitting on the side of the road...

I am very surprised that Ram went with this pump on their new 2019, maybe GM has the rights to the Denso pump now fitted to the L5P?