Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Ram HD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
As my good friend Fish says....Enjoy!
New 2019 Ram HD
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
80 REPLIES 80

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OK all you knowledgable people WHY have we not heard about CP4.2 pump failures like we used to??????

All mfg have upped the fuel filtration systems. The CP4.2 does not like any moisture. All diesel fuel contains some moisture and contaminants.

Higher pressure pumps simply can not handle contaminated fuel. You cant fix the fuel problem so you must be able to treat the fuel problem.

So I wonder if CUMMINS made RAM change the under bed filter from the spin on RAYCOR to the new canister system for this reason?????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why did Ford deny claims?

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
I think part of the reduced fail rate for Ford is in 2015 they changed from Piezio to Solenoid injectors. Changes in the nozzle allowed them to drop the max pressure from 28k to 24k.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OK all you knowledgable people WHY have we not heard about CP4.2 pump failures like we used to??????

All mfg have upped the fuel filtration systems. The CP4.2 does not like any moisture. All diesel fuel contains some moisture and contaminants.

Higher pressure pumps simply can not handle contaminated fuel. You cant fix the fuel problem so you must be able to treat the fuel problem.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good thing they don't alcohol in these Forums!
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:

Myself, I plan on keeping my truck a very long time so this is an important issue for me. I can see the day where trucks will hit the boneyards early because the cost of replacing the trashed fuel system is more than what the truck is worth.

We had our first 93 RAM/Cummins for 7.5 years, the second 2001.5 14 years and will keep the present 2015 until they take away my drivers license, which is hopefully 10-20 years out or maybe a little more.

CP3's have on "some" occasion taken out the whole fuel system.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
As much as the failure rates on the newer trucks may be less, I firmly believe that as the miles rack up and years tick by the failures will once again occur. This may not be an issue to someone who buys new and sells off their truck every few years but it certainly is to the people who keep them long term. And when they fail, they take out the entire fuel system. The same can be said about the CP3 pump, but the engine simply quits; replace the pump and carry on!

Myself, I plan on keeping my truck a very long time so this is an important issue for me. I can see the day where trucks will hit the boneyards early because the cost of replacing the trashed fuel system is more than what the truck is worth.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
What he said ^^^^^^^
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Bigfoot affair wrote:

LOL, you are wrong!

The .2 doesn't mean revision, it means that it is a two piston pump. CP4.1 one piston, CP4.2 two piston.

Yes, internet is full of CP4.1 and CP4.2 failures, I think you already know but just choose to think its ok because Ram/Cummins is now using it... unreal!

I have not heard of anyone having any problems with the .2 pumps. I have one in my Ecodiesel and it is in Ford and GM diesels. When Ford came out with the 6.7 PS both Ford and GM had many CP 4.1 pumps fail.

Then Bosch went to the CP 4.2 and no more failures. At least not like we where seeing with the .1 pumps. Are there .2 failures, yes but nothing near what the .1 pumps where failing.

The difference is Ford flat out refused to protect their customers and GM stepped up and warrantied their trucks.

I would not think twice about buying a diesel with the CP 4.2 pump no mater the maker.

Don
The .1 is single piston (used in smaller motors such as the VW) and the .2 is a 2 piston for larger motors such as the GM/Ford, and now Ram HDs. The .2 IS NOT a revised pump... Just a 2 cylinder pump.

They all have catastrophic failures that cost about 10K to repair.

GM quit using them around 2017. They paid out a LOT in warranty claims. For did not pay out so much, as they denied a lot of claims. They still use the CP4.2.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bigfoot affair wrote:

LOL, you are wrong!

The .2 doesn't mean revision, it means that it is a two piston pump. CP4.1 one piston, CP4.2 two piston.

Yes, internet is full of CP4.1 and CP4.2 failures, I think you already know but just choose to think its ok because Ram/Cummins is now using it... unreal!

I have not heard of anyone having any problems with the .2 pumps. I have one in my Ecodiesel and it is in Ford and GM diesels. When Ford came out with the 6.7 PS both Ford and GM had many CP 4.1 pumps fail.

Then Bosch went to the CP 4.2 and no more failures. At least not like we where seeing with the .1 pumps. Are there .2 failures, yes but nothing near what the .1 pumps where failing.

The difference is Ford flat out refused to protect their customers and GM stepped up and warrantied their trucks.

I would not think twice about buying a diesel with the CP 4.2 pump no mater the maker.

Don

Don

LOL..... Your wrong as usual. Ford and GM (used to) only uses the two piston design CP4.2 pump.

Did you not read Bigfoot response?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:

LOL, you are wrong!

Don

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bigfoot affair wrote:
New 2019 Ram HD

CP4 HPFP, enjoy!

LOL try .2, have you heard of any issues with the CP4.2 pumps? Nope you haven't, nice try though.

Don

LOL, you are wrong!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
New 2019 Ram HD

CP4 HPFP, enjoy!

LOL try .2, have you heard of any issues with the CP4.2 pumps? Nope you haven't, nice try though.

Don

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure it will actually tow grades any better. I'm right in the power band on certain grades with 4.10's. Only issue is when things get down in the 25-40 range where the revs go ballistic at times. That scenario and the big drop off on acceleration should be solved. Issue is the power is the same.

When I had my 08 F150 5.4 3.73 4sp AT I ran up one mtn pass in 3rd (1.1) I latter got a 2010 5.4 3.73 6sp. Ran up the same grade in 4th (1.1) at the same rpms.