cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Ram Rebel or 2500 ?

Abbadox
Explorer
Explorer
I wil be buying my first travel trailer soon and am currently trying to decide which truck to get. I prefer the look and style of the Ram Rebel but not sure if I would be better off going with a 2500 series instead. The trailer I will be buying is the East To West Della Terra 25KRB.
13 REPLIES 13

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Flan wrote:
The power wagon has the rebel front end and is a 2500

I was going to say the same thing. We got a new one to test at work and it is one good looking truck.

Just be careful on that recommendation if the OP believes the door stickers as gospel, mine has less payload than most 1500's... (Yes I know it's capable and safe 😉 ) Oh and btw - the '19's have the new 8 speed transmission!
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Abbadox wrote:
I wil be buying my first travel trailer soon and am currently trying to decide which truck to get. I prefer the look and style of the Ram Rebel but not sure if I would be better off going with a 2500 series instead. The trailer I will be buying is the East To West Della Terra 25KRB.

Someone else mentioned it...and it's great advise. Plan for your second trailer. After you've been in the current one for a while, you might decide that it doesn't best serve your needs and are ready to trade up.

We bought a high wall pop-up about 4 years ago. I grew up camping with my parents in a smaller pop-up, so I'm thinking that it won't be that bad....wrong. My sister and I were small enough that we never really had to help significantly with setting it up and how much of a PITA it really is. We keep it because I can't justify a new camper sitting in my driveway when I don't really get to use it that much. However, we have spent several days walking around RV lots and RV shows so we have a better understanding of our needs now.

And this could easily happen to you as well. Since you work online, you might be able to spend a significant time in it. You might decide that you really wished it had a slide out for the extra room, or some other reason.

A 1/2 ton will tow what you're looking at now, just like a 1/2 ton towed what I have, but when it came time to upgrade, I went with a 3/4 T diesel because I'm hoping to upgrade trailers within the next couple of years and everything that we've been looking at is in that truck range.

Remember, it's always cheaper to do it right the first time, even if it might cost you a few more dollars upfront. Plus, Ram is having some really good deals on the remaining in stock '18 models. I got close to 12K off sticker so it worked out well for me.

Long post but I guess the advise is as the other poster said, plan for your 2nd camper
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
They are this year.
To the OP, you're on the big end of a 1/2 ton, with a trailer like that. Doable, no problem, but 2500 chassis will not even flinch at a trailer that size.
the greater % of towing and hauling, the more sense a 3/4 ton makes.
And remember a 3/4 ton can do anything a 1/2 ton can do, but the opposite isn't true.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I don't like about the 2500 is the six speed transmission. It can't hold a candle to the ZF 8 speed. There are versions of the ZF that can handle a lot more torque and HP than the 6.4 makes, The Hellcat uses one. I don't get why they aren't using it.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Flan wrote:

I was going to say the same thing. We got a new one to test at work and it is one good looking truck.

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
When towing, generally the engine with the most horse power, and low rpm torque. I know that V6 makes good power, but I would choose the 5.7 V8. The one with most HP/TQ.

Jerry

Abbadox
Explorer
Explorer
The Ram Rebel comes with LT275/70R-18 tires

and it has 3 motor choices:

3.6 Liter V6 24v VVT eTorque
5.7 Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT Engine
5.7 Liter v8 Hemi MDS VVT ETorque Engine

Which one is best for hauling a trailer ?.

Abbadox
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
The maximum payload on the Rebel is 1850. By time options are added it will come in lower, let's say 1,700. Now take a guess at how much you will haul in the the truck (passengers, firewood, other gear) and that will let you know how much you have for the trailer.

Dry weight on the trailer is 5,000 and once optioned and loaded with gear would expect about 6,500. This might seem like a lot but we do not pack especially heavy and we come in at 1,500 over dry weight.

If you put 13% of the trailer weight on the tongue that is 845 before adding the weight for the receiver hitch and sway bars. So let's call it 1,000 even.

So that is the tough part with the 1500 style truck. You start running out of payload. With these rough numbers you would have roughly 700 lbs left for passengers and gear and you would be at max and possibly over the rear axle weight rating. You typically get P type passenger tires on the 1500 trucks rather than the LT Light Truck tires which provide greater carrying capacity.

So you can probably get away with the Rebel, but you would be at the top end of capacity. The Ram 2500 is a lot more truck.

And kudos to you for asking the question before you bought the truck and trailer. Lot's of folks ask these questions after they have made the purchase.

Take it easy,
Stu

In terms of payload it would just be myself. I work online for a living so a coupe of laptops and some clothes would be pretty much it for cargo.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The maximum payload on the Rebel is 1850. By time options are added it will come in lower, let's say 1,700. Now take a guess at how much you will haul in the the truck (passengers, firewood, other gear) and that will let you know how much you have for the trailer.

Dry weight on the trailer is 5,000 and once optioned and loaded with gear would expect about 6,500. This might seem like a lot but we do not pack especially heavy and we come in at 1,500 over dry weight.

If you put 13% of the trailer weight on the tongue that is 845 before adding the weight for the receiver hitch and sway bars. So let's call it 1,000 even.

So that is the tough part with the 1500 style truck. You start running out of payload. With these rough numbers you would have roughly 700 lbs left for passengers and gear and you would be at max and possibly over the rear axle weight rating. You typically get P type passenger tires on the 1500 trucks rather than the LT Light Truck tires which provide greater carrying capacity.

So you can probably get away with the Rebel, but you would be at the top end of capacity. The Ram 2500 is a lot more truck.

And kudos to you for asking the question before you bought the truck and trailer. Lot's of folks ask these questions after they have made the purchase.

Take it easy,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy or select the trailer first. Then match a truck to it. Think “payload” first as MLF suggested.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since you are new to the forum, you may not realize that this could be called "you need a bigger truck forum", but yes, most times a HD truck, such as the 2500, will make a better tow vehicle. Many 1/2 ton later model trucks are very capable pullers, just check that the payload is up to the task.

Jerry

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to be about a 7500 lb. GVWR trailer....so, I'd go with the 2500.

I'd buy the truck that will haul your NEXT trailer. There will always be a "next" trailer if you stick with this RV'ing thing, and it will be bigger and longer and heavier.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro