cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20lb Horizontal Propane Tank out of date....

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
So, my 12+ year old Truck Camper has an out of date horizontal propane tank that cannot be refilled legally. I'm aware that you can have them recertified for a 5 year extension but no one in my area does this. One welding supply will ship it off for a $40 fee. Online prices I have found are $180+ :E Anyone found a cheaper source?
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper
44 REPLIES 44

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several levels of re-certifications depends on age of the tank.
I had my re-cert 2 days ago. Still had some propane in it, but the guy just did visual inspection, spray soapy water on the valve and charge me $25.
I ask about filling up while cylinder is on the camper and the technician check the 7-gallons cylinder is design to work in horizontal position, it has to be filled vertically. Plus certification has sticker on the side.
So cylinders have to come off the camper.

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I took my tank to Blossman Propane~45 miles away to have the recert only to find out it must be empty.... Part of the recert checklist is to weigh the tank empty. They, as a courtesy, hooked mine up to a heater to burn off whatever was in the tank. Had to leave it there until they could work it in...what a pain.
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
Re-read the post.

tattoobob wrote: "Horizontal tanks are exempt from the OPD Law and the old valves are fine"

Your post: "I am pretty positive that only chassis mounted horizontal tanks are exempt not the portable ones like the OP has."

My post:"tattoobob is correct. I have older horizontal tanks in my 5th wheel, no problem having them filled. "

None of these post implied, or made comments to do with certification of tanks.

Wayne

Except the thread itself is about "replacing due to the need to re-certify" so the comment about being "exempt from the need for OPD conversion" even if correct was not applicable to the topic at hand and as helpful as someone stating "I like pie". Hence my last comment.

Your wrong because most posting to this topic were telling the OP that he needed or they needed to have the valves replaced, this is not true and I was just pointing that out
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
I used to take my SCUBA tanks to the local fire suppression system guy for hydro testing. Cheaper than a dive shop, who would ship them off somewhere else anyway. Might be worth a call.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
CptnBG wrote:
Thankjs everyone for the suggestions. my 2004 tank does have the OPD valve and the new type threads. My problem is that NONE of the bulk propane suppliers in my area do the recert. I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday calling welding supplys, hardware stores RV sales/, etc. etc. Still waiting on one call back.

The closest recert place to me is Blossman Propane in Bedford Va. The problem there is that the recert guy also does deliveries, so a **** shoot if he is in.

Plan B is to use a regular BBQ tank on the ground with an extension hose. What a pain.....

Suburban Propane in Roanoke doesn't do re-certs?

Amerigas has always been iffy..but Suburban is one place I thought WOULD do it.

According to the lady that answered the phone they don't. They are also my home supplier. I scheduled a home delivery for early next week and I'm going to ask the driver.
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
Steve_in_29 wrote:
tattoobob wrote:
Horizontal tanks are exempt from the OPD Law and the old valves are fine

I am pretty positive that only chassis mounted horizontal tanks are exempt not the portable ones like the OP has.
tattoobob is correct. I have older horizontal tanks in my 5th wheel, no problem having them filled. The first 2 to 4 years it was touch and go. I have a PDF somewhere that explains it all.

Wayne

Even if correct the information isn't applicable or useful to the OP's situation as his tanks need to be re-certified (not converted) which every tank except chassis mounts need to comply with.

Here is another fly for the ointment . The reason the chassis mount are exempt from re-certification is they are ASME tanks , not DOT cylinders .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Re-read the post.

tattoobob wrote: "Horizontal tanks are exempt from the OPD Law and the old valves are fine"

Your post: "I am pretty positive that only chassis mounted horizontal tanks are exempt not the portable ones like the OP has."

My post:"tattoobob is correct. I have older horizontal tanks in my 5th wheel, no problem having them filled. "

Wayne

Except the thread itself is about "replacing due to the need to re-certify" so the comment about being "exempt from the need for OPD conversion" even if correct was not applicable to the topic at hand and as helpful as someone stating "I like pie". Hence my last comment.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
CptnBG wrote:
Thankjs everyone for the suggestions. my 2004 tank does have the OPD valve and the new type threads. My problem is that NONE of the bulk propane suppliers in my area do the recert. I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday calling welding supplys, hardware stores RV sales/, etc. etc. Still waiting on one call back.

The closest recert place to me is Blossman Propane in Bedford Va. The problem there is that the recert guy also does deliveries, so a **** shoot if he is in.

Plan B is to use a regular BBQ tank on the ground with an extension hose. What a pain.....

Suburban Propane in Roanoke doesn't do re-certs?

Amerigas has always been iffy..but Suburban is one place I thought WOULD do it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re-read the post.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Steve_in_29 wrote:
tattoobob wrote:
Horizontal tanks are exempt from the OPD Law and the old valves are fine

I am pretty positive that only chassis mounted horizontal tanks are exempt not the portable ones like the OP has.
tattoobob is correct. I have older horizontal tanks in my 5th wheel, no problem having them filled. The first 2 to 4 years it was touch and go. I have a PDF somewhere that explains it all.

Wayne

Even if correct the information isn't applicable or useful to the OP's situation as his tanks need to be re-certified (not converted) which every tank except chassis mounts need to comply with.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
I can't imagine that shipping them off somewhere is cheaper than just buying new tanks.

I had to buy new horizontal tanks when our 1996 Lance got to be 10 years old and they started requiring that new valve type. They were $90 each back then. The last time I looked, they are about $180 each now.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ventura Dogman wrote:
I got a tank re-certified 6 months ago for about $10. Cheap, quick and easy. Maybe you can drive a little out of your area and find someone to do it?

Me too. I had to call every dang propane dealer around, but I finally found one that will put the new certified sticker on it. It was $10/tank as I recall. Basically, the tanks are in great shape and he mainly did a visual inspection for rust, then he filled the tanks and put stickers on them.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with not taking a chance on being stuck without propane. That is why I bought the hose.

I think that before I bought new horizontal tanks, I would look at modifying my propane tank compartment to accommodate the common vertical tanks.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
CptnBG wrote:
... Plan B is to use a regular BBQ tank on the ground with an extension hose. What a pain.....
I have that setup in my 5th wheel for a backup.

I have had tanks certified at a major propane distributor on several occasions. They just look at the tank to see if it is damaged, put a sticker on it and charge me $5.

Other than a major propane distributor, I do not recall anyone checking the dates. As stated, if the tank is clean and rust free they fill it, no questions asked.

All but one place locally check dates. Y'all are lucky. I can't take a chance on being stuck without propane, my cool/cold weather camping is just beginning.
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper