cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

22' 0r 25'? Does Size Matter?

wsc7050
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all and thank you in advance for any insight. Here is my quandary. I currently have a 2010 Nash 22h and an 07 5.9 cummins 2500. The trailer is great. 120w solar, super clean, and paid for! I have finally got a break from the real world and will be heading out in the spring of 2017 for a year plus trip. My family is my wife and I, our 22 month old, and our sweet but #110 dog. We have made quite a few local trips in the 22h and it has worked great. Tight but I'm grateful. But now that my son is mobile and I'm looking at an extended period in the trailer, I have started thinking about not wanting to have to put down the table in order for my son to be able to go to sleep. I don't really need to be convinced on more room, but I'm concerned about a larger trailer being a pain and limiting. If we went bigger it would more than likely be the Nash 25c as it really seems to be a great price point vs. quality trailer. Although I'm open to suggestions!
So here is the deal. Will a 25 limit me substantially more than the 22? My truck is the mega cab so it is long! We plan on driving cross country and are more of "off the beaten path" type of people, but we are realistic.
Any input from people who have done a longer trip would be greatly appreciated. Matt
22 REPLIES 22

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
As I said, I had a 22.5' Jay Flight 19BH and now a 29' Jay Flight 26BH.

Even though the campsite pads are 45', I can not fit into the same spots with the 26BH as I did with the 19BH because of sloping, none level campsite pads and inability to get the trailer into the pad due to angle or obstructions near the campsite.

When going to the bigger trailer, make sure you get open and level campsites besides the proper length pad. Otherwise, you'll be like me, and fighting to get a new campsite when you have 5 or 7 day reservations with a FULL campground.

Good luck.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think that there will be an issue except if you store your trailer at home. I would go for it!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI. The 25C is actually 4 feet longer than the 22H. Go figure. Manufacturers model numbers frequently don't relate to TT length. My 216 is actually 26 feet long.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I lost a bit of sleep while waiting for our 32.5' Jayco 28RLS to be built. Going from a 31' 5th wheel, I envisioned getting trapped in tight places. We just returned from our maiden voyage of 800~ miles. The 32.5' travel trailer actually maneuvered around gas stations and the campground easier than the 5th wheel. I think the leverage point being over 5' behind the axle makes the trailer track a tad closer to the truck's track on the turns. We stopped for gas on the way home at a Racetrack station and although we took up some real estate, we had no trouble snaking around the pumps and back out onto the highway. I don't think 3' longer will even be noticeable.
Nice floorplan but doesn't appear to offer any privacy for mom or the young man.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention as I found on my trip I just got back from. Pad was 45' but I couldn't fit.

Why?

Because the site wasn't level enough.

With a shorter trailer, it could be leveled because you have the option of moving it to a spot that will allow it to be level. In my case, it was side to side leveling.

For the case of a co-camper that was fighting to fit his camper into the spot as I was, his campsite sloped down to much and he couldn't get his hitch down enough to be level.

We were both upset as we reserved for 5 days each, and campground was pretty booked up. We got extremely lucky and I was able to get the site next to mine as someone must had cancelled and he was able to get a site in a different part of the campground. There are about 350 sites but it's a popular campsite being it's a peninsula surrounded by the lake.

So it's not always about length of the campsite but how much harder a long trailer is to level as well.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

gazingm42
Explorer
Explorer
My preference would be the longer trailer. I know as our kids got older we
wanted more space on the RV. We have a 31 ft with hitch. Which is about
my limit in size to pull. But as long as your TV can pull it safely. Then
I would get a bigger unit.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a Jay Flight 19BH which was 22.5' long bumper to hitch, to a Jay Flight 26BH which is 29' bumper to hitch. I gained 6.5'.

That's large and now I can't fit into the small sites that the 19BH did fit.

Also I have a much harder time backing my trailer into my narrow driveway off of my narrow street.

Both trailers were the same floorplan BUT the 26BH added a front bedroom w/queen bed. OTher than that, the floorplans are identical.

Being at only 3' more than the 19BH would split the difference and may fit into some spots that the 26BH can't and it would sure be easier to back in. But really, the extra length of the 26BH is reasonable and I just make sure to find slightly larger sites.

When I say sites that it can't fit, doesn't mean that the pad isn't long enough all the time, it means more so than not, that I can't make the angle to back in due to ditches, unlevel ground, drop offs, or trees.

I've had 2 sites reserved with pads long enough but couldn't back in because of ditches, drop offs, and trees. If I would had put the trailer in the spot, it likely would of had suspension damaged and side wall damage.

Luckily in the 2 occasions where I couldn't fit, I made the campground management find me another site since their supposed large enough site was NOT kept up enough to allow a larger trailer to fit as their reservation website would have you believe.

wsc7050
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! After reading your opinions, I feel confident that the 3 extra feet wont inhibit my choices on where to go. I also look forward to the extra space the bunks and slideout will provide!
IdaD, I have considered this option many times. But really like having the shell on my bed for when I'm unhooked and out and about. Someday I would like to drive a rig with fifth wheel just to compare. The extra space must be great!
Again, thanks everyone! We are heading out to the dealer next Friday to check out a couple options and then will begin the search for the right trailer!
As I mentioned, we are heading out in the spring for an extended trip, so I will be back with many more questions!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a fifth wheel and you get a good 4' of "free" length compared to a TT because it overlaps the truck. You've got enough truck to consider that option, and they tow better too which you'll appreciate on longer trips.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I completely understand your concerns and have somewhat contemplated the same thing... however, and as others have pointed out, I don't think the added ~3 feet is going be much a problem.

My current TT is 30', point to bumper, and is a 26BHS. My desires are to get into more remote areas within the Rockies as there are many areas in the off-the-beaten-path high country that have switch-backs which makes it a serious no-no to even attempt getting my TT up there. But here's the point, I wouldn't take your trailer up there either as it too would be a disaster waiting to happen. I have no reservations of taking my current TT up over stuff like Colorado's Cottonwood Pass in the summer and would do similar passes but when it comes to tight switchbacks, no way would I consider it with almost every TT out there... some very minor exceptions.

If you really want to be mostly limitless for off-the-beaten-path areas, a slide-in truck camper on a 4x4 truck would be the way to go. So, go for it and get that new Nash 25C, you will 100% appreciate the extra length room, bunk and slide for a much more spacious area to live in.
I love me some land yachting

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first trailer was an old used 1998 Nash 22H. LOVED that camper! Nice big bathroom, solid construction, HEAVY trailer for a 22' (mine came in at 6500 lbs loaded) and a good layout for my wife and I. We introduced our daughter to camping in that trailer a month after she was born. For a little one, it was great. When we got pregnant with child #2 we knew the 22H wouldn't work out for us.

Before kids we were hardly inside the camper. We ate outside, sat outside, listened to music outside, rode bikes outside, etc. With a toddler we had to be concerned with making it dark for nap time, had to worry about interior floor space to play, had to worry about enough interior space for all of us if it rained, etc.

We upgraded from our 22' Nash to a 32' Jayco with a big slide. HUGE difference in camping style. We find that the longer camper does effect where/when we stay. With the 22', we could literally fit on ANY camper site in any park. With the 32' we have still been able to camp at all of the same places, but we have to plan ahead and make sure to get a longer spot. Some parks make that more difficult than others. We had some issued with our steep and narrow driveway with the longer trailer. Fuel mileage took a dip with a longer and heavier trailer. Other than that, there aren't many negatives to a longer trailer.

I think you'll find the move from the 22' to 25' to big a big upgrade, but not much more difficult to tow, back or find spots to camp. That slideout makes an incredible difference in interior space. No more shuffling past your bride or child in a tight hallway between the dinette, couch and kitchen... now you can walk past each other without any problems! The only thing you will be lacking is that couch, which we enjoyed having.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
25C looks like a winner. with the one slide out. 28.8' with hitch.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt, you have gotten some good response to your question. We went from a 21ft to a 25 foot and it made NO difference when it came to driving and negotiating the challenges of getting around. It is a fact, in my opinion, that the longer the trailer the more limited your choices will be. If you are "off the grid" folks than you will likely use state parks more than KOAs. Most state and federal parks are set up to accommodate a 25 footer. Anything larger will start to limit you.

People will post that they have never had a problem finding a place to park their 32 footer. Well, once pressed you will probably find that they stay at private RV parks. We had a tent trailer for 17 years and there was not a spot I couldn't get into. Moved up to the 21 and did find a very few that wouldn't work. Now with the 25 I can still get into almost all sites but anything larger would create some additional issues.

The key here is choosing a trailer that is right for you. I certainly would not rule out a 25. If you do encounter restriction they will be few in number.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt you would notice much handling difference between 22 and 25 ft. The extra 3 feet does make a difference in comfort, especially with a slide.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.