cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel tow truck

StarTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I’m thinking about buying a new 2015 Dodge Ram 3500, currently have a 2003 Dodge 3500 Diesel crew cab long bed and tow a 2011 Open Range 345 5th wheel. My big concern about the new trucks it seems that they are all about 4-6 inches taller and 10 to 15 inches longer than my 2003. The top of my tailgate is 54 inches above the ground before I hitch the 5th wheel. Does anyone have a newer Dodge Ram 3500 2 wheel drive with single rear wheels and do you have any problem with the nose of the 5th wheel being to high and do you have enough clearance between the truck box and the 5th wheel?

The extra length of the new Dodges will mean that it will not fit in my garage or in the driveway. I am also concerned about maneuvering in tight camping sites.

I am considering the crew cab short bed (6’ 6). From my research I think I would need an Auto Sliding Hitch but I have read about a lot of “problems” with them such as needing constant lubrication, sliding around when the fifth wheel is not hooked up, something about a “set screw” constantly needing adjustment. I also need to do a 180 degree U-turn when going into my RV storage area, this is not a problem with my long bed but don’t know about the short bed

I would like to hear from anyone about their experiences with short bed tow trucks. Do you like the auto sliding hitches? What brands have you tried?

Thanks for your input. Bill
4 REPLIES 4

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
The new trucks do sit higher, but if you adjust your hitch you should be fine. I have my hitch on the highest setting for my fiver. I prefer the 8' bed so I can put wood in front of the hitch, but if your driveway is too short I would go with the short bed and get a slider hitch just in case you need it. It's better to have it and not use it, then not have it and need it. It's like 4WD. I don't use it often, but when I need to have it, it's good to have available. Good luck.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with you on the bed height concern with a fifth wheel. Seems they are getting ever taller. Bed of my '05 3500 was high enough for me to break my back (literally) when I fell out of it shoveling rock and not a lot of bed rail clearance from the underside of the fifth wheel when we had it.

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
StarTraveler wrote:
I’m thinking about buying a new 2015 Dodge Ram 3500, currently have a 2003 Dodge 3500 Diesel crew cab long bed and tow a 2011 Open Range 345 5th wheel. My big concern about the new trucks it seems that they are all about 4-6 inches taller and 10 to 15 inches longer than my 2003. The top of my tailgate is 54 inches above the ground before I hitch the 5th wheel. Does anyone have a newer Dodge Ram 3500 2 wheel drive with single rear wheels and do you have any problem with the nose of the 5th wheel being to high and do you have enough clearance between the truck box and the 5th wheel?

The extra length of the new Dodges will mean that it will not fit in my garage or in the driveway. I am also concerned about maneuvering in tight camping sites.

I am considering the crew cab short bed (6’ 6). From my research I think I would need an Auto Sliding Hitch but I have read about a lot of “problems” with them such as needing constant lubrication, sliding around when the fifth wheel is not hooked up, something about a “set screw” constantly needing adjustment. I also need to do a 180 degree U-turn when going into my RV storage area, this is not a problem with my long bed but don’t know about the short bed

I would like to hear from anyone about their experiences with short bed tow trucks. Do you like the auto sliding hitches? What brands have you tried?

Thanks for your input. Bill

Bill,

The Dodge short bed is only 6'3" long so it's 5 inches shorter than the Ford bed. The GM bed is right at 6'6 so in the middle. Me, well my trucks are treated like tractors so I lean towards the 8' bed. Being able to make 180 degree turn is a boon, especially if it's an unavoidable thing like you state with your storage

I do miss the old quad cabs (extended) like you have, the crews are lovely but much bigger, this is why I went with a RC this time around (2015 3500 RCLB) as, unless you have kids etc, it's very roomy for two. Still have my F450 but it's on its fourth radiator and so when we change that we may get another Dodge- the new 1 tons are lovely.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an OR345 from 2013 and pull it with a 2013 short bed 3500 without needing a slider. I've had tight u-turns and had to be careful but as long as I plan ahead I haven't needed a slider. Pin box can be adjusted.