cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 Volt Interstate batteries

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have look thru the Search field and have not found anywhere RV'ers rate the different brands of deep cycle 6 volt batteries.

Here in Bellingham WA, can't find anyone who carries Trojan batteries. The most available are Interstate deep cycles. Anyone had good results with these?

NAPA has their brand, how about those?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
37 REPLIES 37

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 2 EHD Interstate 6 volt batteries. That lasted over 4 years. If I would have treated them better I would have gotten better life.
I just replaced them with the same battery. Real interstates not costco really brand. These are the 225 amp batteries.
They are performing well I won't switch.
I paid 300. Installed. Everything cleaned and professionally installed.

Jesseannie

Skidus1
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had my Costco 6vโ€™s since 2015 and getting new ones next year. I monitor water usage in them and thatโ€™s it. I do have solar with adjustable controller if that makes any difference. I hit em with 14.8 dry camping. Theyโ€™re not dead but noticed a weaker level in the morning while dry camping.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to teejaywhy I have a conundrum. Lined up a couple of Les Schwab GC2 6 volts but I haven't picked them up yet. Looked at Lowe's Deka batteries and they seem to have more power, so hard to find good info on any 6 volt battery. The Deka's are also cheaper at $144 each, I think the Schwab's are $168 each. Can't get the Deka's till Oct 19th, but no hurry right now. Do the GC numbers mean anything. The Schwab is a GC2, the Deka is a GC 15, that better?? What to do?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
ajriding wrote:
Snip... Is the a golf cart forum?

Golf Cart forum 1

Golf Cart forum2

Golf Cart forum 3

Golf Cart forum 4
Hope this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
GC batts all have heavy plates. i would imagine the difference in GC batts from brand to brand would be less than the differences of marine or starting batts brand to brand.
I bought ones from Auto parts store 5 yrs ago and have never had any issues.
To find more and better reviews I would look for people who drive golf carts as they use the batteries way more severely than an RV does. Is the a golf cart forum?

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Trojans indeed, are a bit pricey and I was put off by the bad reviews of the Costco Interstate batteries, even though they are a steal at about $95 each.

I ended up choosing the 230AH Deka GC15. Lowe's carries them at $144 each, free delivery to your local store, and you can get a 5% discount if you are a veteran.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2- 6 volt 105's golf cart Duracell Batteries I bought at Batteries Plus Bulbs. I'm happy with them for what I use them for and the price. I only occasionally dry camp for 2-3 days at a time and they have worked well for that. The extra price of the Trojans was not worth it for my use.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Wish this site allowed for easier searching of old threads. Maybe someone else can find it. Fairly certain we compared the old Costco battery to the new Costco battery.

Or possibly it was to the Trojan equivalent.

The Trojan T105 published spec shows it weighs 4 lbs-5 lbs more than most other GC2 batteries on the market.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
wopachop wrote:
Even the least tech savvy person can now leave a horrid review in seconds. I weighed the Costco interstates and they are lighter, which is not good.

Concur, lighter is not good but what are you comparing them to ?
Wish this site allowed for easier searching of old threads. Maybe someone else can find it. Fairly certain we compared the old Costco battery to the new Costco battery.

Or possibly it was to the Trojan equivalent.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Even the least tech savvy person can now leave a horrid review in seconds. I weighed the Costco interstates and they are lighter, which is not good.

Concur, lighter is not good but what are you comparing them to ?

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
My pair of NAPA brand GC2's are still going strong after 8 years.

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
The batteries are only part of the system. I put 2 6v Interstate batteries in my trailer and the first year the old converter boiled 1/2 gallon of water out of them. I changed it out for a Progressive Dynamics converter and in the 3 years since I have had to add very little water. I'm hoping this adds enough life to the batteries to almost pay for the converter.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am one of the ones that see the bad reviews and think,well did you treat them right?

I have had my Costco Interstate Batteries for over 4 years and they perform as well as when they were new. I do a combination of boondocking and FHU camping. They are properly maintained. I think that is the key.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a battery hunt around local stores and the only one that had some decent looking batteries was NAPA at $158 apiece. Glad to hear that one of the responders liked his NAPA's.

Few years back a local auto parts store used to supply golf courses with golf cart batteries and sometimes they would replace them after only a few hours use, so I could get almost new Trojan's real cheap. Not in business any more.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer

If you have a costco nearby and often go there it could be a good choice still. Especially if you practice battery maintenance. Warranty is only 1 year fixed so keep an eye on them. If you get unlucky make sure to handle it within the year.