cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.3L VS. 6.7L PSD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
This outta make for an interesting discussion. Which one do you think is better and why?

7.3L VS. 6.7L: WHICH POWER STROKE IS REALLY BETTER?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
68 REPLIES 68

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
The 1999 through 2007 Ford F-450 Super Duties were available in all cab configurations as chassis cabs, but were NEVER produced or completed by Ford as production pickups.

Sorry, you are correct. A true P/U bed is not required, in fact a flatbed or service bed is better with a TC anyhow, more storage ability.

Either way I'll take a 7.3 before a 6.7 for the simplicity.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The 7.3L ZF6 combo is sweet!! I looked long and hard for a cherry F-330 CC 4x4 DRW Lariat with that combo prior to buying my Ram and could not find one otherwise that is most likely what would be my TV to this day!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
Lantley wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Payload on a 7.3 F450 should be very high since they were only available as a Cab and Chassis truck. Good luck finding one that's in half decent shape since most of these trucks had massive utility beds on the back of them.

They were available in all configurations, cab and chassis, super and crew cabs, with and without beds.

From the Ford towing guide they only list cab and chassis.
I imagine some aftermarket outfitter would equip them with a bed . But it appears from the guide they were available from Ford cab & chassis only
2002 Ford Towing Guide

A 2002 F450 was available from Ford in all cab configurations and in 2 and 4 wheel drive, we had them at work, and they were ordered from Ford fleet sales.

The 1999 through 2007 Ford F-450 Super Duties were available in all cab configurations as chassis cabs, but were NEVER produced or completed by Ford as production pickups.

In early 2001, projected for model year 2003 or 2004, Ford had considered producing an F-450 pickup, but then cancelled those plans early on... at some point in mid 2002.

It wasn't until model year 2008 that Ford finally got around to producing an F-450 pickup, but this pickup, and every F-450 pickup made since, is actually based on an F-350 pickup frame, not on the true F-450 chassis cab frame.

For every year that the 7.3L engine was produced, the F-450, in any and every cab configuration, was only available from Ford as a chassis cab, with a true chassis cab frame.

Any F-450 with a factory pickup bed of a model year prior to 2008 was originally built by Ford as chassis cab, and later modified in the aftermarket with a pick up bed.

Pickup beds do not just bolt on to chassis cab frames. There are appreciable dimensional differences in frame width, cab to axle distance, and axle to end of frame distance between a chassis cab frame and a pick up frame... and these differences are only part of the reasons why the beds don't just bolt up. The frame shape (straight rail versus kick ups over the axle), hole location, rear shock orientation, especially road side, as well as fuel tank and rear suspension hanger locations are also different between the pickup frame and the chassis cab frames.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:

A 2002 F450 was available from Ford in all cab configurations and in 2 and 4 wheel drive, we had them at work, and they were ordered from Ford fleet sales.

What's vulnerable about the ZF-6? It's a great transmission.

I've had two 7.3 PSD's, and both were "tuned" and were MORE than capable to stay with a 6.7. I've tried the 6.7, I have friends that own them...not impressed enough by them for the price hit over a well tuned 7.3...and by well tuned I mean not an OTC OBDII plug-n-play program. It's EASY to get big HP from them.

I guess to each there own...I'm a gearhead and do ALL my own work, I enjoy it, and I don't like the new "electric fantastic" vehicles. The more complex they make them, the more expensive they are to fix and harder to diagnosis. Maybe I'm just to cheap, but the newer trucks are just ridiculously priced, even used. I have better things to do with my cash.

I am also a gear head and work on my own 2014 6.7L Cummins. It is really not that hard and most stuff can be diagnosed with my torque app on my phone and my OBDLink connector. It allows me to view all sorts of parameters to correctly diagnose an issue. In fact I just diagnosed a HPFP low power issue on a friends LML. Both cost me less than $100 and reads from the same type of ECM on the late 7.3L trucks.

I have done all of my engine modifications myself from EGR/DPF system removal to pyro/boost sensor install. When the time comes, I will do my turbo/manifold swap as well. Although I would probably not want to do it on a new Powerstroke though. My brother asked me to look into an issue he had with his 2012 PSD and I just popped the hood and said nope. I could hardly see the engine and would have had to remove a ton of stuff just to get to what I needed to see.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Payload on a 7.3 F450 should be very high since they were only available as a Cab and Chassis truck. Good luck finding one that's in half decent shape since most of these trucks had massive utility beds on the back of them.

They were available in all configurations, cab and chassis, super and crew cabs, with and without beds. I have no problem finding low mileage F450's that aren't beat to $hit, there just pricey. But they're not 50K and up as the 6.7's are, and most ANY diesel shop can work on them if you can't.

I imagine some aftermarket outfitter would equip them with a bed . But it appears from the guide they were available from Ford cab & chassis only as Fish mentioned.
I'm not certain I could proclaim a 20 year old truck with no exhaust brake and a vulnerable transmission is the ultimate TC hauler,but I understand where you're coming from. If budget and simplicity is your only criteria the 7.3 will shine.
But if you consider performance, creature features and capability the 7.3 is a dinosaur.
As an ex 7.3 owner I agree a little tune can go a long way with the 7.3, but for me the 7.3's day has come and gone

2002 Ford Towing Guide

What's vulnerable about the ZF-6? It's a great transmission.

I've had two 7.3 PSD's, and both were "tuned" and were MORE than capable to stay with a 6.7. I've tried the 6.7, I have friends that own them...not impressed enough by them for the price hit over a well tuned 7.3...and by well tuned I mean not an OTC OBDII plug-n-play program. It's EASY to get big HP from them.

I guess to each there own...I'm a gearhead and do ALL my own work, I enjoy it, and I don't like the new "electric fantastic" vehicles. The more complex they make them, the more expensive they are to fix and harder to diagnosis. Maybe I'm just to cheap, but the newer trucks are just ridiculously priced, even used. I have better things to do with my cash.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes, but primarily only in drag trucks and pulling trucks. And maybe a few bros who blowed up their 68s doing boosted launches at the Sonic drive in!

The 47/48 trans can be built to hold the world, but doesn't mean it holds a candle to anything with more gears for daily/towing use.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

For racing maybe but not for towing. I would never go back to a four speed anything if I could have a six speed instead.

They are not just for racing. Spoke with the guys over at Revmax when I was looking for an upgraded trans and they said it was a popular swap even for those not racing. There are some on the Cummins forums that have swapped and are not racing either.

Although, this was because for a long time no one was able to build a 68RFE to hold over 600 hp reliably. Even the built units were not lasting long so they went with the 48RE. Now, thanks to things like the Sonnax overdrive hub and Revmax valve bodies, you can build a 68RFE to reliably handle over 800 hp.

You go right ahead.

Stock I will take the six speed any day. I hated the gear spacing in my 47RE. With 4:10's the gap between 3rd and 4th was huge. Seemed like it was either 1,800 RPM in 4th or 2,500 RPM in 3rd. The 48RE is no different.

Go right ahead what? I never said I was going to swap. I just had a custom built 68RFE and low stall TC installed.

I was just saying that 68RFE to a 48RE swap is still being done by many with modded trucks with enough power/torque to overcome the spacing.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve owned 3. 7.3’s over the years and still have a 99 F250 with a 7.3 it is licensed and still on the road. I also have a 2014 F350 with a 6.7 and the 7.3 doesn’t even come close to the 6.7 !! 7.3 was a great reliable diesel but there is a new sheriff in town now......the 6.7 ... better fuel, better power !! more comfort . I think it would take two 7.3s to make up one 6.7.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

For racing maybe but not for towing. I would never go back to a four speed anything if I could have a six speed instead.

They are not just for racing. Spoke with the guys over at Revmax when I was looking for an upgraded trans and they said it was a popular swap even for those not racing. There are some on the Cummins forums that have swapped and are not racing either.

Although, this was because for a long time no one was able to build a 68RFE to hold over 600 hp reliably. Even the built units were not lasting long so they went with the 48RE. Now, thanks to things like the Sonnax overdrive hub and Revmax valve bodies, you can build a 68RFE to reliably handle over 800 hp.

You go right ahead.

Stock I will take the six speed any day. I hated the gear spacing in my 47RE. With 4:10's the gap between 3rd and 4th was huge. Seemed like it was either 1,800 RPM in 4th or 2,500 RPM in 3rd. The 48RE is no different.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 2 7.3's, a 6.0, and now a 6.7. Each one was a noticeable step up in towing performance. 7.3 super reliable but no integrated brake controller or exhaust brake, 6.0 lots of mechanical issues but noticeable more pulling power than the 6.0. PSD after 2011 built in controller, (works great) & a built in exhaust brake, quite, and no wait to start - starts like a gasser. I'm told it will wait if it's cold enough, but so far down to 20 I have not seen it. Set cruise and it will keep you at that speed up & down hill towing or not. As much as I liked the 7.3 to own 2 I wouldn't consider going back old school. Millage on all was about 12 towing.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
LanceRKeys wrote:
I disagree, you can separate the engine from the drive train, it’s only held together by a few bolts... I agree about the article, I have a 7.3 and I am a big fan, but you can’t compare the two, if money were no concern I would have bought a 6.7.

Not really, mechanically there might only be a few bolts but electronically, today's engines and transmissions are fully integrated. You don't see people putting 6 speed 68RFE's behind 5.9 Cummins even though it would be a fantastic improvement over the 48RE.

Many of the people in the Cummins diesel racing world swap out their 68RFE for a built 48RFE since it can be built stronger.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mountainkowboy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

They were available in all configurations, cab and chassis, super and crew cabs, with and without beds. I have no problem finding low mileage F450's that aren't beat to $hit, there just pricey. But they're not 50K and up as the 6.7's are, and most ANY diesel shop can work on them if you can't.

I imagine some aftermarket outfitter would equip them with a bed . But it appears from the guide they were available from Ford cab & chassis only as Fish mentioned.
I'm not certain I could proclaim a 20 year old truck with no exhaust brake and a vulnerable transmission is the ultimate TC hauler,but I understand where you're coming from. If budget and simplicity is your only criteria the 7.3 will shine.
But if you consider performance, creature features and capability the 7.3 is a dinosaur.
As an ex 7.3 owner I agree a little tune can go a long way with the 7.3, but for me the 7.3's day has come and gone

2002 Ford Towing Guide
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP