Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C and a generator

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
I am out of my area of expertise.
I am thinking about getting a Honda EU 3000.
Before I asked any questions here I knew I would have to have the BTU rating and AMP draw on my A/C unit.

I have a RV Products 9000 Series, Model 9201-776, A/C unit.
None of my paperwork has the info.
I can't find the info on line either.

Any ideas how I find out the AMP draw on this unit?
As I understand it, the AMP draw is what I need to be able to match up to the voltage output of the generator.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have searched the subject here on RV.NET and read what I could find.

I don't know that I want to deal with two inline 2000's.
Once again, this is not my area of expertise.

Thanks,
Zulu
17 REPLIES 17

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do a google or similar search for your product. I think you will find several sources of info for it. If it is a 9200 BTU unit it will normally pull less than 12 amps so the gen you are considering should provide more than enough reserve power to run it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
The motor plate attached somewhere on the a/c unit should have both the starting load and the running load. Kayteg1 is correct regarding actual vs design but unless something is significantly wrong, they will be close to the same.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only way to find amp your AC draws is putting a gauge on it.
The factory btu ratings are having very loose tolerances.
I had 15k Carrier running at full blast with less than 9 amp.
On my TC the AC takes 6.7 amp to run.
Than from the million topics on the subject you should know that is it starting load that require hefty generator that counts.