cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A simple idea

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We often camp on wooded sites with lengthy litter covered access drives. Backing up in this situation is difficult because I can't clearly see the edge of the drive. My wife tries to direct me, but sometimes her wild incomprehensible gesticulations just add to the confusion. I got some small (about 12") orange traffic cones at the dollar store to mark the edge of the drive. Now I can confidently back up knowing exactly where the edge of the drive is located.
28 REPLIES 28

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or here is another example of a fun parking job -- this was near Silverton, Colorado, also at ten thousand feet. Narrow, steep, rocky, un-level, lots of trees. Much laughter and expressive hand-waving. Easily another 45 minutes well spent!

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler, believe it or not, the very trickiest parking jobs are in the boonies -- no driveway, no pad, just lots of rocks and trees. For example, this site was in the Uintas of Utah at ten thousand feet -- and yes, we did back up through those rocks to the campsite, very slowly and carefully. No hardware was harmed, but it took us a good 45 minutes to get situated:

Click For Full-Size Image.
About our trailer

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Two more suggestions: first, tell her how great she's doing, as often as you can. Pretty soon, you will both start to believe it. 😉

Second, don't undertake a complicated backing-up job when you are hungry or thirsty. We often "snack up" as we are nearing our destination to build up our blood sugar for the upcoming ordeal.

This is key. Plus snacks keep the kids in their seats while backing in also. Sort of like the"FOrgive me for everything I said while parking the camper"

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
After 11 years of trying everything I know, I have given up. Starting with the simple precept that if she can't see me in the mirror, I can't see her. I pretty much ignore her and get out if I have to. I'm at a loss as to what to try anymore when I've explained it so many times. Just easier if I do it and let her think she's helping. Every trip used to start with tension at the campsite. No more.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Two more suggestions: first, tell her how great she's doing, as often as you can. Pretty soon, you will both start to believe it. 😉

Second, don't undertake a complicated backing-up job when you are hungry or thirsty. We often "snack up" as we are nearing our destination to build up our blood sugar for the upcoming ordeal.
You camp in the middle of no where. All you have to do is shut the vehicle off.:B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For me the spotter is just to signal stop if we're are about to hit something.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

About our trailer

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
We found that backing up directions became less stressful when we got Walkie Talkies. No more screening which lowered our stress levels. Also I remind her that I need to see her from one of my rear view mirrors. Instead of left/right directions we use driver/passenger to indicate which directions she wants me to move the camper.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
My wife believes I’m Superman. She keeps expecting me to use my X-ray vision.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
CincyGus wrote:
Wife can't be trained,

Usually a problem with the trainer not the trainee.

If she's feeling pressure, you are doing something wrong.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i usually have my wife stand where i want back of TT to stop. i roll down the windows and if i hear her scream i know ive gone back to far....

all joking aside she does a good job of directing me but just can't grasp the fact that i constantly have to remind her of.

if you can't see my side mirrors, i can't see you. after we get it where we want it and start to setup she asks "what can i do to help?" my response is check your emails, facebook posts, and texts. while i setup, then she gets the inside ready, when we break down. she always squares away the inside while i do the outside

works for us

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
CincyGus wrote:
Wife can't be trained...

LOL, that's a bit harsh, but I have a similar better half. The fact is that she cannot back the trailer, I can't even get her interested in just driving it on the highway. So expecting her to understand the geometry of backing up isn't going to happen. And that's fine, although the day is likely to come where she might have to at least manage to drive us home.

Meanwhile I'm content with her watching and warning if I am going to hit something. Any able-bodied person should at least be able to observe and warn before I run into something. I'll take care of backing, GOAL, because I am aware that the rear end of the truck cannot move directly sideways, and she apparently is not.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife can't be trained, at least I haven't been successful in the 7 years we have been camping together. She feels too much pressure in being back there and forgets all the previously agreed upon hand signals and starts failing around any time I get close to something. Even moving acceptably close like along the edge of the gravel on the drivers side of the driveway so I can maximize camping space will have her twirling like a windmill. She also doesn't seem to grasp the concept of if you can't seem me in the mirror, then I can't see you and I stop. Then she's confused on whats going on and throws her arms up.

Daughter has usually gone camping with us and she doesn't feel the stress and can stay focused without a panic attack so I've used her as my second set of eyes when available.

Luckily, I'm pretty proficient in backing after years with horse, boat and farm trailers of different lengths and hitch types along with dollies for aircraft containers as a former retired FedEx Express Ramp Operations Manager. Those things are about 8' long and just like a pivoting head hay wagon. That's the biggest challenge most of ever will face backing a trailer.

One of the reasons I got a backup camera now that our daughter is on her own and often isn't with us when we setup and comes later when she can. The wife takes the dogs on leash and walks them while I survey the space, make a mental note of anything I need to stay aware of and I use the get out and look method if it's tight and the camera isn't giving me the view I need to be sure.

Main tip I'll offer is survey the site intently. Walk it and stand in one of the rear corners if needed. I can't tell you how many times I avoided an issue by walking the site before I started my back in. Check limbs/overhanging items (Some folks forget to look up), items on the parking pad that shouldn't be there. Have found tent stakes in gravel pointing up where someone dropped them while loading up that could have caused a flat tire.

Good luck in working through to find a system that works for you. The main thing is take your time, don't get upset. Even with all the issues my wife and I have had trying to work through this, I never get upset with her. I just tell her "I got it, I'm good" and finish myself when I can see she's getting worked up. Camping isn't stressful unless we make it that way.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
She forgets that I have a microphone at the rear of the MH, and I can hear what she says under her breath.

This is why im strongly against "the ring" door bell lol. I don't need a microphone following me around the driveway!