cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC fan on?

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it OK to leave the AC fan on continuously? Or, overnight...for white noise?

We used to do this with our pop up, but the thermostat and AC unit were a different kind.
29 REPLIES 29

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason to leave the fan running is while watching television. One could wear out the remote changing the volume every time the AC kicked on. I go from a volume of 12 with it off to 19 when the AC is needed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GaryWT wrote:
We run our fan most of the time for air flow and to keep the trailer cool if we do not need the AC. If the heat is on we do not run the fan as it would bring in cold air from the outside. We sleep with the tv on so we are not running the fan for white noise. Generally don't open the windows either.

How would it bring cold air in from outside?

RV A/C Units do not pull ANY outside air in............outside air only cools condenser (coil under slotted rear area of roof shroud)
The trailer air is pulled up thru ceiling return vent/filter across evap coil (where the air gets cold) and then out thru ducts/ceiling grill by the room fan.

Fan recirculates inside air only.....be it cool spring air/cold summer a/c air or warm winter furnace air.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
We often keep the fan running all night with and without A/C for noise. Been doing it since 2011 and no issue yet. Occasionally we will bring a portable stand up fan and use it if the weather will be cool and no need for A/C.

So there is other options, but leaving the A/C fan on for long periods has yet to burn out a motor for us...
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We run our fan most of the time for air flow and to keep the trailer cool if we do not need the AC. If the heat is on we do not run the fan as it would bring in cold air from the outside. We sleep with the tv on so we are not running the fan for white noise. Generally don't open the windows either.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a small fan for white noise when I'm not running the AC. In my quite old TT the AC fan is quite noisy.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I wouldn't wear out the fan/motor/etc. in my AC for white noise. lots of other options.
bumpy

How many worn out fan/motor/etc. have you seen or heard of?
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Ours runs non stop for air circulation. I don't sleep well at all with the constant change of climate when set on auto.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
acritzer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That why the thermostat has a FAN ON so just the FAN can be run

Ours had 2 speed setting HI/LO although LO really didn't move a lot of air so rarely used that setting.

Haha...I know that's an option. I just didn't know if it was OK for extended periods of time, or continuously. I'm sure there are examples of settings and options being available that aren't necessarily the best way to run things.

A quick example that popped into mind.....the vivid setting on an old plasma TV. On early models this tended to quicken cases of burn in.

Just poking fun........

We use the A/C Fan by itself a lot.......spring time just to move some air, winter time to help circulate furnace warm air.

Career was working in power plants and found that motors seem to last longer/have less issues when the are run vs long stationary periods

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I like to leave the A/C fan on at night. It helps mask the noise from the propane furnace fan coming on and off if cold at night. For warm nights, I usually leave the roof fan over the bedroom on for white noise or use my white noise app on my smartphone at the bedside.

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Ours had 2 speed setting HI/LO although LO really didn't move a lot of air so rarely used that setting.

Haha...I know that's an option. I just didn't know if it was OK for extended periods of time, or continuously. I'm sure there are examples of settings and options being available that aren't necessarily the best way to run things.

A quick example that popped into mind.....the vivid setting on an old plasma TV. On early models this tended to quicken cases of burn in.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
sure
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It won't hurt to run the fan, but like mentioned, there are other options.

My wife bought a couple of noise machines (not sure of proper name). We use one at home, and one in the FW. They use very little power, and are natures relaxing sounds. There is about 8 sounds, volume adjustable, to choose from. I like the bubbling brook. I can't remember all, but there is ocean waves crashing, birds chirping, plain white noise, and others.

Jerry

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't wear out the fan/motor/etc. in my AC for white noise. lots of other options.
bumpy

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always have a fan of some type (12vDC or 120vAC) running at night for white noise and have used the AC fan for this purpose when camping during warm weather. Do the same thing at home all year long.