cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adapt TT Propane Port to eliminate Grill disposable bottles

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Finally found a connection hose that will go from the built-in propane port on the trailer to a grill that uses portable propane bottles. The Kodiak 242RESL came with a bumper mount grill that I don't care for. I was looking to change to either a Coleman Roadtrip, Weber Q or Charbroil X-200.

All of these use the 1 pound disposable propane bottles. I've seen Youtubes on how to remove the regulator and convert them to a direct connect, but I don't want to do that. I want to leave the ability to use portable bottles. I am aware that the built-in trailer system has it's own regulator and that if I simple connect to the grills regulator, the effect will be that the gas is double regulated. It won't matter! The primary complaint on most of these little grills is they get too hot. Double regulating will only reduce that problem. I've seen many threads where users say 'it just doesn't matter' and the two regulator issue is a non-issue.

The solution is sold by Calore Equipment's Magento line as RV Quick Connect Hose with 1"-20 Disposable Bottle Male Connection. Click the name, it's a link to the product at the Calore site.
Link to RV Quick Connect with Disposable Bottle Male connector

For $27 it's the solution I was looking for. The hose standard length is 4 feet. You can order it longer by adding ($3-6'; $8-10'; $12-12').

Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States
17 REPLIES 17

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
Finally found a connection hose that will go from the built-in propane port on the trailer to a grill that uses portable propane bottles. The Kodiak 242RESL came with a bumper mount grill that I don't care for. I was looking to change to either a Coleman Roadtrip, Weber Q or Charbroil X-200.

All of these use the 1 pound disposable propane bottles. I've seen Youtubes on how to remove the regulator and convert them to a direct connect, but I don't want to do that. I want to leave the ability to use portable bottles. I am aware that the built-in trailer system has it's own regulator and that if I simple connect to the grills regulator, the effect will be that the gas is double regulated. It won't matter! The primary complaint on most of these little grills is they get too hot. Double regulating will only reduce that problem. I've seen many threads where users say 'it just doesn't matter' and the two regulator issue is a non-issue.

The solution is sold by Calore Equipment's Magento line as RV Quick Connect Hose with 1"-20 Disposable Bottle Male Connection. Click the name, it's a link to the product at the Calore site.
Link to RV Quick Connect with Disposable Bottle Male connector

For $27 it's the solution I was looking for. The hose standard length is 4 feet. You can order it longer by adding ($3-6'; $8-10'; $12-12').

This hose will only work if your quick disconnect on the RV is BEFORE your regulator.
If it is after the regulator, you will then be double regulating an appliance that uses the one pound bottle which won't work unless you can remove the regulator from the grill such as can be done with a Weber Q.

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 10 pound tank with a distribution tree, one hose to the Weber Q and one to the Coleman stove and I can put a lantern on top of tree if need be, both appliances sit on a 4 foot folding table.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
By opening it up for a bit you're bleeding the air out of the hose. It's very normal to have to do this (although bleeding for a couple hours is excessive - it usually takes a couple minutes).
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

bjchudson
Explorer
Explorer
I have this exact hose in the 10ft length plugged into the Coleman Roadtrip. It's hooked directly to one of my 20 pound tanks. I have a problem with the grill heating up initially upon plugin and gas on, but if I open the gas (not light the grill) and let it sit for a few hours before use...It fires right up and heats perfectly for the rest of the trip as long as I don't disconnect the hose from the grill, I can turn off gas at tank though. I have even replaced the hose for another one thinking something was wrong with the hose.

On_the_Lam
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Small, flat 11-lb tank for our Weber Q. Fits perfectly in a milk crate with extension hose for storage in the truck bed. Use it for tailgating, camping, etc. I use it in my deer blind for my heater as well.
2008 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.4l
2006 Puma 30DBSS

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a refillable 11 lbs tank and use that unregulated. (It's smaller and easier to stow than a standard 20 lb tank.)
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I made a custom slide out mount for a Camp Chef 30,000 btu stove. I hooked it up to my regulated LP line and just didn't use the factory regulator. It works great. Keep in mind, my trailer is high enough to allow me to put the grill under the trailer, along side the trailer frame. Most trailers won't have room for this.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
l am concerned about the greasy grill smoke sticking to the trailer and awning and as a result l don't use the RVQ that came with the RV. For us the pigtail is the solution as I can put my grill on the picnic table far away and not worry about smoke.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer came with a pre-plumbed coupler on the low side of the trailer regulator for grill plug in. I unscrewed the regulator that came with the grill and had a hose made up long enough to get the grill away from the trailer, and screwed it right into the port where the grill regulator came out of. This allowed me to plug the grill directly into the trailer and grill till the cows come home. I then made up a fitting that allowed me to plug the regulator that I took out of the grill, into the long hose which I had made up, in case I wanted to plug in a standard bottle (1 lb, 20 lb, 30 lb) and take the grill farther away from the trailer. I have yet to use the reg/adapter in five years. I always plug the grill into the trailer and it works great. I even grill under the edge of the awning in the rain if necessary.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tabletop grill that uses the 1# bottles and got a Paul similar to the one shown at Camping World. Didn't work to we'll so I got a other one by a different manufacturer and also got some problems before I stumbled upon the solution.

I found that after hooking it up if I open the valve on the bottle too fast or too much gas will not flow and it won't light. The trick is to slowly open it up a quarter turn and that is it. It will light and the burner will be as high as it should. It hits about 600 degrees in under 5 minutes. Maybe the effect of the double regulator, ie. the regulator on the grill and the safety shutof at the valve on the tank.

I don't have a Weber Q but have a $30 Blue Rhino grille.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
From my personal experience, you won't like how long it takes to warm a steak up to 85 deg on a Weber Q without removing the regulator.

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I use this grill for camping (Expedition grill) and had a local propane dealer build a quick-disconnect 6' hose. My Kodiak has the same regulated port at the back, and even with all 3 burners lit (90k BTU), there's plenty of gas pressure for lots of heat.

John
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Mr heater has it also and any propane company can build one for you

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look for a "low pressure" compatible grill. They make them, Google the term at Google shopping.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer