cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Better Reverse Lights on a Camper

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone every installed a set of reverse lights on their camper. I was thinking of adding some powerful LED lights from Rigid Industries or Black Oak LED. Wiring them in will be the biggest task. Any suggestions?
Happy TC'N,
David

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
search amazon for 12V wireless remote switch. you will see many. I would recommend "RF" because that will transmit through walls. With this switch you can wire lights to camper battery, than switch them on from inside truck cab with switch. Plus you can take switch in camper with you and be able to turn them on from within camper as "scare lights". if you have to worry about DOT (or inspection like in PA) just leave the switch inside the camper.

What I did to my 2015 Ram, and will probably repeat on my 2018 is mount LED fog lights under the body of truck back behind the rear wheels. I can turn these on from the cab and they light up the side so I can see the Jersey barriers (concrete walls in construction sites). but don't shine out past maybe 6-8 feet. since they are low enough and under the truck cars around you can't see them. The jeep crowd calls them Rock Lights (but I used fog lights).

This also works well in campground because you can see the blocks you are backing onto in the dark but you don't light up the whole campground.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The reverse lights in the taillight housings are what count for the DOT. Anything else is "auxiliary lighting."

I just love all the big talk about telling the DOT where they can go, when they know they're legal all along...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with you AnEv942 that the factory Bargman lights 5 feet of the ground are not worth anything but to warn people behind you that you are backing up. So I am looking at doing something very similar to what you did just using LED lights that use less amps and put out brighter light. Thanks for the photos.
Happy TC'N,
David

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
thundercloud wrote:

So the plan is to mount the lights to the camper itself. Having said that the only thing that I will have to disconnect would be the umbilical cord that I am currently using to connect/disconnect the truck to the camper (7 pin plug). Is this possible to wire everything to the camper and activate the new reverse lights when the truck goes in reverse?

Yes as you outlined prior if wanting to relay. Cant say 20 watts warrants a relay though.

I just use inexpensive sealed beam flood work lights in rubber housing mounted under bumper.
The factory Bargman backup 'indicator' lights 5' off the ground are pretty much useless.

I think they are 27 watts each (~2amps).

To wire I can access the left taillight wires thru an exterior cabinet.
Just dropped a lead to back of bumper, branches to feed both tractor lights.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
thundercloud wrote:
So if I go larger then the 20 watts do I wire directly to the camper batteries with a relay and tap into a reverse light that is already on the camper to activate the new backup lights?

Wire a relay into the truck's 12v system, unless you're mounting the lights on the camper itself. The objective is to not have to disconnect a bunch of stuff if you separate the two.

So the plan is to mount the lights to the camper itself. Having said that the only thing that I will have to disconnect would be the umbilical cord that I am currently using to connect/disconnect the truck to the camper (7 pin plug). Is this possible to wire everything to the camper and activate the new reverse lights when the truck goes in reverse?
Happy TC'N,
David

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
Don't tell the DOT, but my lights are manually switched. I like to see behind the trailer, even if my trans is in park or drive, for purposes of lining up in a site for example.

Same here and I couldn't possibly care less what any DOT says.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
thundercloud wrote:
So if I go larger then the 20 watts do I wire directly to the camper batteries with a relay and tap into a reverse light that is already on the camper to activate the new backup lights?

Wire a relay into the truck's 12v system, unless you're mounting the lights on the camper itself. The objective is to not have to disconnect a bunch of stuff if you separate the two.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
Happy TC'N,
David

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipro3 wrote:
My 2012 Lance camper comes with rear flood lights controlled with a rocker switch just inside the door. I discovered they also turn on when I put my truck in reverse!
So much for DOT and reverse lights not allowed to be manually switched....

They DOT rule may be that they can’t be switched from the drivers seat to prevent “flashing” the guy behind you but I don’t know for sure. They may also want to be sure it’s not left on by accident in which case any switch would count.

Since the camper is cargo, maybe the same rules don’t apply?

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
My 2012 Lance camper comes with rear flood lights controlled with a rocker switch just inside the door. I discovered they also turn on when I put my truck in reverse!

That's way cool. Kinda the best of both worlds. Did those come come stock with your camper?
Happy TC'N,
David

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Don't tell the DOT, but my lights are manually switched. I like to see behind the trailer, even if my trans is in park or drive, for purposes of lining up in a site for example.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our state the REVERSE LIGHTS comes under the DOT SAFETY LIGHTS purview meaning they have to be DOT APPROVED. The lenses are required to have DOT ID numbers and of course I'm sure there is spec on how bright they might be. They also have to be wired in to operate from you going into REVERSE and not be wired to an individual ON-OFF switch.

I got around all of of this by mounting my back of the trailer lights to rear sides of the trailer. I can't see directly behind my trailer anyway so having side lights worked out just as good...

Not sure if your state has any problems with your planned install or not. Just passing along my licensed state would do...

Some guys have done rear trailer lights mods only to have to remove them to pass their required SAFETY INSPECTION... Checking with your local DMV/DOT would probably be a good idea before dumping monies into your project...

My 5th wheel has the 8-inch scare light mounted high on the side of my trailer which is no problem here in this state. This has a separate ON-OFF switch on the inside trailer wall.

Google image

My off-road Starcraft RT14 popup trailer has a single 8-inch scare light mounted on the front of the trailer to be used with the front deck and this has not been any problem. It has a separate ON-OFF switch on the inside wall.

Google image

Mounting brighter REVERSE LIGHTS under my RT14 trailer rear bumper had to be removed because they did not have DOT approved lens and also did not come ON when going into reverse from my truck...

Rear lights looked like these

Google image

Just passing on a couple of my experiences dealing with DMV/DOT inspections...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
I have intended to do this with my car hauler trailer. I have also thought about on the camper. I feel, but don’t know because I haven’t tried, that it would be beneficial to mount them near the front, or half way along the trailer pointing out at a slight angle, so that the side of the trailer can be illuminated as well as the rear. That way you could see where your tires are and where you are steering the trailer

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

If you're looking at more than 20 watts of lights, consider using a relay to avoid taxing the existing lighting circuit.

So 20 watts is about the max you could go if you tap into the 7 pin harness? I was thinking of doing that but I was not sure if it would work or not.
Happy TC'N,
David