cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

adding chip to F250

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 F250 with a 6.7 diesel, 6 speed automatic. Has anyone tried putting a chip in one of these trucks to get better MPG and do you think it would harm the truck?

Thanks,
Happy Camping
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel
43 REPLIES 43

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Redwoodcamper wrote:
Plus it gets old when people incorrectly say "it will void your warranty." It can void parts of your warranty, but only related to what you changed. If you delete and tune your truck and a window motor goes out, they will have to fix it. If it's related to things you changed, then you can be out of luck. But that too depends on your dealer. I've had dealers take care of it anyways after doing many aftermarket modifications.

Tell me about it. I get that silly comment every time someone finds out my truck is tuned and yet my dealer still does warranty work on many other parts of my truck. I just look at them like "Sum B---h! I am a grown man. Do you pay my truck payment? Do I ask you why you leave your truck stock? Then mind ya business!"

Ok, so you increase your horsepower 10-20% which increases stresses on every part of the power train from the radiator to the back axle including engine mounts thus frame. I'm curious, wondering if you would feel the same if I overloaded my back axle 10-20%? It wouldn't stress near as many parts as a programmer. Just curious.

In the past when a regular here I would often shake my head at weight police who boasted about their programmers.

Okay, I'll bite. How does increasing horsepower by 10-15% stress out every part of the powertrain in these modern diesels? I can see things like the transmmission if it is not properly tuned for the added power or the line pressure was not increased, but I am curious as to why you would say that for things like the engine or radiator.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Redwoodcamper wrote:
Plus it gets old when people incorrectly say "it will void your warranty." It can void parts of your warranty, but only related to what you changed. If you delete and tune your truck and a window motor goes out, they will have to fix it. If it's related to things you changed, then you can be out of luck. But that too depends on your dealer. I've had dealers take care of it anyways after doing many aftermarket modifications.

Tell me about it. I get that silly comment every time someone finds out my truck is tuned and yet my dealer still does warranty work on many other parts of my truck. I just look at them like "Sum B---h! I am a grown man. Do you pay my truck payment? Do I ask you why you leave your truck stock? Then mind ya business!"

Ok, so you increase your horsepower 10-20% which increases stresses on every part of the power train from the radiator to the back axle including engine mounts thus frame. I'm curious, wondering if you would feel the same if I overloaded my back axle 10-20%? It wouldn't stress near as many parts as a programmer. Just curious.

In the past when a regular here I would often shake my head at weight police who boasted about their programmers.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I waited till I was out of warranty, what a difference! I had some custom tunes written for my truck, much cooler EGTS when towing, better fuel mileage & no rolling coal. Also nice having a custom Trans tune makes for a much nicer towing experience.

To all the naysayers.....don't knock it till you try it.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Well this topic has certainly gotten out of hand, so I can't make it any worse. I call all of the performance enhancers jokers, cause they must be kidding with their claims, right? Do they ever give detail on their testing method, and performance results? Modern vehicles record performance data, a whole slew of things like all of the EGT's, crank and cam positions, speed and on and on. Don't ya think a good "hunter" can identify what any module has done. You will leave tracks, it just depends on how good they are, and how determined, and how much time (money) the decision is worth. Me? My hunting was though lease custody meter tinkering and royalty payments. Somebody is always just as good, or better than me, or you.

So take their claims with a grain of salt. Admit the costs, and weigh against the benefits. Then test. Then evaluate. Get your money's worth? With a good return of investment? Post and let us know. It doesn't seem worth it to me, the power never seems to end on these modern diesels, but that's just me, you mileage may differ.

In full disclosure, I am a old fart, the first diesel dump truck I drove had a diesel without a turbo (NA diesels, remember those days). It was fantastic compared to the gas jobs. So these modern trucks are just wow, right off the lot.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Thank you, lol...
And programmers are so 2000s. EFI live is where it's at. No hardware, only software.

Really though, a simple emissions compatible tune will give a nice little bump in power, if you want or need it.
Idk about mileage, though.
Delete and pick up a little mileage at a huge cost and guaranteed no warranty, but the truck will run healthier.

Doh! Software doesnt load itself into the ECM. You NEED a programmer such as an autocal to do that...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thank you, lol...
And programmers are so 2000s. EFI live is where it's at. No hardware, only software.

Really though, a simple emissions compatible tune will give a nice little bump in power, if you want or need it.
Idk about mileage, though.
Delete and pick up a little mileage at a huge cost and guaranteed no warranty, but the truck will run healthier.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
deltabravo wrote:

There's no place to put a "chip" in a new truck to get better mileage or change how it runs.

The way it's done now is with a programmer.

But, dealers can void a warranty if engine problems develop that they think the programmer caused.

There are still what you would consider a "chip" for these new trucks, but they are called modules now since they use more than jut a chip because they require more computing power. Some examples are the EDGE JWA or the TS Stryker module. The do not program or alter the ECM in any way. They generally are connected in between the ECM to injector harness connection and alter fuel timing and duration signals that the ECM sends to the injectors. You can also remove them in less than 10 minutes.

Also, Chip=Kleenex it is just a modern colloquialism to define tuning an engine electronically. I don't know why people get so hung up on this every time the question is asked here.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

There's no place to put a "chip" in a new truck to get better mileage or change how it runs.

But, dealers can void a warranty if engine problems develop that they think the programmer caused.

There are still what you would consider a "chip" for these new trucks, but they are called modules now since they use more than jut a chip because they require more computing power. Some examples are the EDGE JWA or the TS Stryker module. The do not program or alter the ECM in any way. They generally are connected in between the ECM to injector harness connection and alter fuel timing and duration signals that the ECM sends to the injectors. You can also remove them in less than 10 minutes.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
3ares wrote:
I have a 2016 F250 with a 6.7 diesel, 6 speed automatic. Has anyone tried putting a chip in one of these trucks

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
They also have to provide proof that the aftermarket part caused the problem.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Nor should he be lectured on warranty if he has already accepted the fact that he will loose it. It is up to him if the benefits out weight the costs, not anyone else.

Has he though? I don't see anywhere where he says, "I understand that this will void the warranty, and I choose to do so as it is my vehicle and I am making the payments," or anything to that effect.

Maybe, just maybe, he has NOT considered the fact that chipping/programming will void the warranty on his engine? Maybe he believes the advertising hype where they make (FALSE) claims that their product cannot be detected and will not void the warranty?

ANY questions or suggestions that might make the OP think about something he has not yet considered are fair game. Especially, if it may cost him significant amounts of money. And, we really have no idea what the OP has taken into consideration because he does NOT say what he has taken into consideration.

Oh and big whoop, "other" parts of your warranty are still honored. The most valuable part of your warranty, where the most expensive repairs will occur, is NOT. Wow, you got a scuffed lug nut replaced under warranty? What's that a $20 part? Yippie. Enjoy paying $15000 to have the injectors replaced.

Go back and read what the OP asked.

3ares wrote:
I have a 2016 F250 with a 6.7 diesel, 6 speed automatic. Has anyone tried putting a chip in one of these trucks to get better MPG and do you think it would harm the truck?

Thanks,
Happy Camping

Did he ask about warranty? Did he ask about anyone opinion about his warranty? No.

He simply asked for those WITH experience with putting a chip in their truck for mpg and if they think it would harm his truck. So why would anyone who has ZERO experience doing this to their truck even bother to reply? Why would anyone with ZERO experience ask why he would want to do it? Why would anyone with ZERO experience with tuners and warranty post about warranty and tuners? He wasn't asking for people who have never done it for their advice, he was asking for people who have.

Every time someone has a question about a tuner or any other mod like an intake, you will always get one or two people that have ZERO experience with tuner or and intake chime in asking why anyone would want/need to tune a vehicle, say that stock power is plenty enough for them, or go into a long spiel about voiding warranty. It gets kind of old after a few hundred times especially when it comes from people with ZERO experience on the matter.

Like I said earlier, different strokes for different folks. You can't apply what you would do to what someone else should do. Some people, like myself, would rather drive a custom tuned truck risking voiding the warranty, and there is nothing wrong with that. Other people may want to play it safe and not void their warranty, and there is nothing wrong with that either. To each their own, and there is no need to hassle someone for not doing what you would do.

Oh, and I am not sure where you are getting your injectors replaced for $15,000, but they are sticking it to you.....without Vasoline.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
We can all agree, don't buy the tornado. Haha.

What ? I had stock in them and believed that it would work.... Lol j/k seriously though, at one time I worked at a parts store and was told I had to up sell these along with slick 50.... I remember one guy used slick 50 and came back a week later with his engine smoking. Never seen someone so angry and rightly so. He claimed it damaged his engine and probably did since the truck was pretty new.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd suggest the OP take this question to a more appropriate and knowledgeable forum for his diesel pickup
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
ShinerBock wrote:
Nor should he be lectured on warranty if he has already accepted the fact that he will loose it. It is up to him if the benefits out weight the costs, not anyone else.

Has he though? I don't see anywhere where he says, "I understand that this will void the warranty, and I choose to do so as it is my vehicle and I am making the payments," or anything to that effect.

Maybe, just maybe, he has NOT considered the fact that chipping/programming will void the warranty on his engine? Maybe he believes the advertising hype where they make (FALSE) claims that their product cannot be detected and will not void the warranty?

ANY questions or suggestions that might make the OP think about something he has not yet considered are fair game. Especially, if it may cost him significant amounts of money. And, we really have no idea what the OP has taken into consideration because he does NOT say what he has taken into consideration.

Oh and big whoop, "other" parts of your warranty are still honored. The most valuable part of your warranty, where the most expensive repairs will occur, is NOT. Wow, you got a scuffed lug nut replaced under warranty? What's that a $20 part? Yippie. Enjoy paying $15000 to have the injectors replaced.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.