cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

adding LED light fixture

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
I want to add an LED light fixture to the underside of a cabinet above the bed. We have a Coachmen Clipper 17BH, and the only light by the bed is on the ceiling, which is a bit much and kind of a pain to turn off while in bed.

so adding one under the cabinets above would be better, easier reach and not as bright. the lights in the TT are LED, the "push click" turn on type. Does anyone know what this is actually called? there are no light switches anyway, just a spot on the actual light that you push to turn on. i'd like to match the rest of the lights so it's a pretty seamless install, but I'm having trouble even knowing what to search for.

thanks!
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
17 REPLIES 17

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
this spring i removed my large pancake lights and bought 2 led eye ball lights that went above or inside the panel the wood was very thin a little hard but the have work great all year they ran around $8.50-15.00 each

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I have seen those lights - at least I think I've seen teh ones you are referring to. I've never seen them before, and I have no idea who makes them.

I will dig around and see what I can find since I have a thing for LEDs
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Rather than bother with wiring, why not look for a battery-powered fixture? LED lights will run for ages on a couple of AA batteries.

that's why I recommended the remote controlled 12 inch long LED bar light for $15. haven't looked closely but I think you could probably modify it to wire it in if you wanted to.
bumpy

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than bother with wiring, why not look for a battery-powered fixture? LED lights will run for ages on a couple of AA batteries.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Look under the bed. Might find some 12V wires there. Snake from celing fixture over is what I would try, not knowing more about your rig. Running snake wire front to back is more likely to encounter a roof support. Depending on your location, there is IKEA south of Chicago. The lights also come with color changing, but DW said NO! No need to use the power supply that comes with lights, just wire direct. Also, Lowes and HD have some, not as good for the job, and cost a lot more. Here is a link, and you can order online via mail.
vendor for lights
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
yes i think i could snake the wire from the existing ceiling light to the cabinet. this picture shows what i'm looking for, see the light above the counter, recessed under cabinet. the same light is above the dinette, and similar, larger ones are on the ceiling.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
or more like this?
Link to older thread

Sounds like getting power will be your biggest problem. Can you snake a wire from your overhead fixture over?? Remove the overhead fixture, try pushing a fairly stiff wire from the fixture over towards where you need it. If it is just foam insulation , it might work.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
All of them I see in a quick search are battery operated. Maybe the RV Mfg could supply them.

If the switch and wiring in the battery op'd models is up to the task, you could use those and relamp to 12 V LED's.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Like this??

See here : Lighting upgrade

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
The biggest challenge might be getting 12 volts down to the cabinet. It's possible to fish wiring through ceilings, inside cabinetry, etc. I've done lots and it's not difficult but is time consuming.

Check to see if there is a hollow cavity on the underside of the cabinet over the bed. The usually do and you can run wiring inside and also install a recessed puck light too. You can surface mount a new switch under the cabinet near the light. You would need continuous-on 12 volts for a switch. If you can get wire down from the ceiling light, you would have this. If you have other things on the ceiling near the existing light like a vent, you can take the trim down and gain access to the ceiling cavity to fish wire.

A recessed LED puck light under the bed's cabinet would be a better choice as it will greatly reduce side glare from a surface mount light (like a standard pancake one). Try and check lumen ratings on LED lights before buying. Some list ratings and some don't, and some ratings aren't even close to what they claim. I bought 8 LED puck lights on ebay and they have worked well.

If you are handy enough and are in there doing some wiring, you might also look at installing a wall switch for the overhead light. I did that in our TT by fishing wire down the wall and across the ceiling. Sure is nice not having to reach up to the ceiling and over the bed. In your Clipper, you could either add a switch at the end of the upper kitchen cabinet or another one on the wall where I'm guessing there already is one at the entry door. There is probably a hole in the top plate of the exterior wall that you can get another wire into. Or you can cut or drill a hole inside the ceiling of the cabinet. You might even look at installing a few more puck lights under the cabinets - under the kitchen upper and the under the L-shaped on opposite side in addition to bed upper. Replacing the pancake light above the sink will eliminate annoying side glare and may give more light depending on the puck light you choose.

thanks for the tips!
there actually is no light switch anywhere, for any light (besides the toggle on the vent hood for that light and fan)

there actually are lights under the cabinets above the sink, and above the dinette. strange there isn't one above the bed. i guess I'll keep searching, but I'd like to match the new light to the existing lights throughout the TT, keep everything neat etc.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest challenge might be getting 12 volts down to the cabinet. It's possible to fish wiring through ceilings, inside cabinetry, etc. I've done lots and it's not difficult but is time consuming.

Check to see if there is a hollow cavity on the underside of the cabinet over the bed. The usually do and you can run wiring inside and also install a recessed puck light too. You can surface mount a new switch under the cabinet near the light. You would need continuous-on 12 volts for a switch. If you can get wire down from the ceiling light, you would have this. If you have other things on the ceiling near the existing light like a vent, you can take the trim down and gain access to the ceiling cavity to fish wire.

A recessed LED puck light under the bed's cabinet would be a better choice as it will greatly reduce side glare from a surface mount light (like a standard pancake one). Try and check lumen ratings on LED lights before buying. Some list ratings and some don't, and some ratings aren't even close to what they claim. I bought 8 LED puck lights on ebay and they have worked well.

If you are handy enough and are in there doing some wiring, you might also look at installing a wall switch for the overhead light. I did that in our TT by fishing wire down the wall and across the ceiling. Sure is nice not having to reach up to the ceiling and over the bed. In your Clipper, you could either add a switch at the end of the upper kitchen cabinet or another one on the wall where I'm guessing there already is one at the entry door. There is probably a hole in the top plate of the exterior wall that you can get another wire into. Or you can cut or drill a hole inside the ceiling of the cabinet. You might even look at installing a few more puck lights under the cabinets - under the kitchen upper and the under the L-shaped on opposite side in addition to bed upper. Replacing the pancake light above the sink will eliminate annoying side glare and may give more light depending on the puck light you choose.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
ive checked amazon and other sources, but my question is if there is a correct name for this type of light. there are no wall switches/dimmers of any kind in the TT. they're sort of like puck lights, but you press the light itself til it clicks to turn on/off.

searching amazon, hard to tell what requires a light switch, or what is more like what i have

sort of like this touch light but wired, 12v

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing against Amazon but don't forget eBay. Search for 12vdc, RV, LED lights or any such. Try them all, you will get some different on each search. Lots of remote on off switches too. Gotta look at a lot of toads to find what you want.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about "Puck Lights?"

There are either wired or battery power ones available.
Here is just one source..

PUCK LIGHTS>>>>HERE
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro