cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on new Gas Tow vehicle

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will start this post out by saying I know a diesel would outperform a gas motor. But after reading all the posts of issues with diesels, I am thinking if I buy new, I would go with a gas motor. My current t tow vehicle os a 2003 ford excursion with a V10 and 4:30 gearing. our Current TT weighs in at about 10,500 loaded.
This combination has done everything I could have hoped for in terms of performance.
My wife and I are within 5 years of retirement and are thinking we would like to upgrade to a 5th wheel when this happens. If we were to purchase a 6.6l gm or 6.4l Ram would we comfortably be able to tow a 13,000lb 5th wheel as easily as our 03 excursion tows our current 10,500 TT.????
16 REPLIES 16

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if you are comfortable with what you have, you should like the new ones. I think the extra height of the fifth wheel vs the travel trailer will make more of a difference than the weight. Have you considered the new 7.3 gas from ford?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
This depends on where you are towing, Full Time you will probably hit roads like Utah 12 outside Escalante with a 12% grade. A gasser will do it but it will be running at high rpm. And check out the expected mileage on those gassers, you will think you are driving a big Class A. You will join that bunch of irritating posters who continuously put up posts saying "how to I get to point B from point A without any steep roads?"
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper