cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air condition

merwood
Explorer
Explorer
My air cools good but will not cycle on and off runs all the time. Any help would be welcome . Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You most likely have it set to fan at the thermostat. Set it to Auto. I made the same mistake.

Edit: Whoopps - didn't see that you resolved. Awesome!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Your thermostat control inside the air conditioner may be set too low. In a Dometic Brisk Air, the thermostat has a tiny screw close to the rheostat to adjust to the temp you want it to stop cooling at. You have to take the air conditioner parts inside completely apart to get to it. Take the inside panel off, thermostat housing off, lid off the housing to get to the temp control. There are tiny letters and an arrow above the screw pointing to the direction that makes it run and cool longer. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the lid holding the thermostat in, right over where the screw is, then drilled another hole thru the plastic control knob, so now I can stick a tiny screwdriver thru the two holes and make the adjustment without taking it all apart. My conditioner would run for about 2 minutes then stop cooling, then start, then stop. It was set way too high of a temp so wouldn't keep cooling. Then my motor starter capacitor shorted out, but a new one fixed it.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

merwood
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies. 6.2Superduty was correct on high setting. works great thanks

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
edd210 wrote:
My fan runs constantly but that is standard for the unit. I am figuring out a way to put a 110 volt plug in thermostat near the breaker panel. The one I am looking at has a remote temperature control, I do not know how good it is but here is the link to it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NG8MZK/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3KNQ5UR6RZMP9&psc=1
THE THERMOSTAT I SENT THE LINK TO WILL NOT WORK. IT IS ONLY 15 AMP AND MOST CAMPER AC'S ARE 20 AMP
The fan runs continuous on non-thermostat models partially to reduce the chance of freezing up.

6_2Superduty
Explorer
Explorer
merwood wrote:
My air cools good but will not cycle on and off runs all the time. Any help would be welcome . Thanks

Since this is in travel trailer section you probably have a wall thermostat. See if it has an AUTO fan setting. If it does the fan will cycle on and off. If you set the fan on high or low the compressor will cycle but the fan will run continuously.
My bet is the thermostat is set on high.

edd210
Explorer
Explorer
My fan runs constantly but that is standard for the unit. I am figuring out a way to put a 110 volt plug in thermostat near the breaker panel. The one I am looking at has a remote temperature control, I do not know how good it is but here is the link to it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NG8MZK/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3KNQ5UR6RZMP9&psc=1
THE THERMOSTAT I SENT THE LINK TO WILL NOT WORK. IT IS ONLY 15 AMP AND MOST CAMPER AC'S ARE 20 AMP

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Normal to run near continuous in hot conditions. Most will cycle a few times just before sunrise.
If the RV is cool you are doing better than most.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Your situation is one of two things:

1. Compressor cycles on / off and the blower fan continues to run, which is normal operation for most units that have controls at the ceiling.

2. The ambient temp in your RV is still warm enough that the A/C is not keeping up with the cooling. (normal operation)

Some wall mounted thermostats that control a roof A/C have a Fan Hi / Low setting and a Fan Auto Hi / Auto LOW setting.

On the AUTO setting, the fan will turn off when there is no more demand for cooling.

TO give a better answer to your qiuestion, we need to know more detals to your set-up:
What brand / make / model A/C do yo have
Where is it controlled (at the ceiling panel or via a wall t-stat
If it's controlled by a wall T-stat, post a photo of it.
Bob

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure itโ€™s not just the fan? Our AC compressor cycles, but the fan runs continuously. If on high, you can barely hear the difference.
We have the basic Dometic 13.5k BTU unit.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch