cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Tabs Installed

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
Well I pull the trigger to and install Air Tabs on my camper. Hoping to cut the wind noise around the passenger door and reduce bugs. We will see how it works. ART

55 REPLIES 55

Jeep_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I thinks this topic has allot of room for exploration. Thanks to all of the members that have stepped up, and said what if we did this.... And were willing to open their wallets and try something different. Take a product that was designed for one thing and test it for something else.
I looked at the air foil design and thought that was really a good design. I am in the same position as Art with a small clearance area above the cap, less then 2". So perhaps a modified air foil, tabs would do the trick.
The other areas for drag reduction could be the front jack area and the flat area behind the truck tail lights. Thanks to all of those that posted with their ideas.

James_
Explorer
Explorer
I would also think they would work well on the sides near the rear... no?
2006 Chevrolet 3500 HD 4X4 dually, crew cab.
6.6 diesel, Allison trans. Air bags.
2011 Lance 992 duel pop-out, 2200 gen, 135 watt solar panal, Yakima skybox.

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear Good question my non expert opinion I think any location would work, I just wanted to disrupt the air in that area and trying to eliminate the cab noise. I chose to put them above the doors. Also I did not want to block the clearance light. As you know this is a******shoot no one has done it before. I will tell you I now have around 700 miles on my truck since I install them no increase in bugs and the cab noise is still min. My wife and came home last weekend into a T-storm high winds we had very little cab noise so I feel they are working. We are leaving for a two week vacation next Wed. We are heading south into bug country so I will have a report for everyone. Thanks to everyone for the support! ART

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Based on Art's reports, I am also going to try the air tabs. I ordered enough to go across the overhang. I'll be installing them in the next week or so.

One thing I am trying to figure out though, is exactly where to put them. My camper overhang is longer than Art's so not sure if they would be better at point "A" on the front edge, or at point "B" similar to Art's install.

"Positive" feedback or suggestions welcome.

Here is a picture of Art's install for reference...
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
Vortex generators create turbulent flow. Turbulent flow is much better at sticking to surfaces and following curves, hence (the theory is) will close in behind a blunt shape more quickly, reducing the size of the separation bubble behind it. So they should themselves cause a little extra drag, but the reduction in drag due to the smaller separation bubble you are dragging behind more than makes up for it. That's the theory.

Same reason golf balls have dimples. I love the episode of Myth Busters where they dimple a car and compare fuel mileage with vs. without dimples. One of my favorites for sure.

I'm going to look into this air tab thing a bit more. Thanks for posting!

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Art Schlangen wrote:
Ok Hot of the press. I just got back from a 300mile trip. Cab noise from wind 98% gone. My wife and I can speak without screaming. We had a good head wind coming home VERY HAPPY. Bugs about a 90% improvement. Money will spent going to add some on the tail end of camper also to reduce drag on the tail end. I would recommend them It worked for me. ART

Thank you for that report.
The high season for bugs is usually summer/late summer. I hope you get to travel more and gather additional evidence regarding the efficiency of the air tabs.
Please let us know, and again, thank you.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
HMS No never tried it open. Always close. Did not effect the clearance they are approx 1/2 inch in dept. Maybe a inch.
ART

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Vortex generators create turbulent flow. Turbulent flow is much better at sticking to surfaces and following curves, hence (the theory is) will close in behind a blunt shape more quickly, reducing the size of the separation bubble behind it. So they should themselves cause a little extra drag, but the reduction in drag due to the smaller separation bubble you are dragging behind more than makes up for it. That's the theory.

I am surprised that it made a big difference placed under the overhang on a camper, but airflow around a complex shape is not easily predictable - even with super computers and software costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Nothing like an experiment! I have a Bigfoot on a 1999 ford that looks very similar to yours, I think I may try it!

Did you notice any difference in noise with rear sliding window open/closed, before/after the air tabs? We don't have a huge increase in wind noise with the camper, but much more if the window is open. Even with a foam boot in place for the cat crawl through.

How tall are they, i.e., how much did they reduce your camper/cab clearance?
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna Awesome I look forward to everyone's results. I did not want to screw into my camper so that is a big reason I use these, Figure it did not work I could remove them. But going to add more. ART

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I put mine as close to the end of the RV as I could. I did have to trim one air tab on each side due to a clearance light.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Mine are on the sides and top of the RV at the rear as recommended by the air tabs folks.

This is not my "ride" but is where I placed my tabs.

Thanks,The reason I wanted to see yours is that I wanted to see if you put them before the piece that joins the side to the end cap.

I have no room behind that joint to place them because it is very short and if I put them before it I think they will not be have enough air flow to make them work because that joint is 5/8 in. tall.

Does that sound right? I don't know how much that would disrupt the vortex efect if it is blocked in any way.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It reduced the noise level dramatically. There is improved mileage when traveling with the wind, but very little difference when driving into the wind.

I did not have handling issues so I did not notice any difference in handling.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Catlin98987
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Mine are on the sides and top of the RV at the rear as recommended by the air tabs folks.

How did it work?
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost, Supercab, 4x4. 6.5' Box.
2011 LivinLite 5.7 Truck Camper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Regards, Don

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi pianotuna
I am interested in these too,could you post a picture of yours so we could see how you did it?
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C