cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

airstream frames

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Does the airstream trailers come on the much talked about lippert frames or are they on their own.sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with redracer, they blame customers, cost me a grand on a 2006 Wildcat to get frame fixed cracked at the wheels. Called them they said to send pictures and that was the end of that, it was out of warranty but thought they might want to know there frames were $#%^ . Went to Northwood's Artic Fox,
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Lippert typically blames the owner for any problems and tells you that it's your fault because you overloaded the frame or they may say it's normal. It's very difficult to get them to accept liability and have experienced that first-hand and had to work extremely hard to change that.

My experiences have been very different as have several friends and family members. There are more Lippert frames on the road than any other frame made and by a huge margin. The vast majority have no issues although I do agree that several years back there were some major issues.

My experience with talking directly to Lippert to resolve issues has been very good. They were quick and no hassle each time. Lippert took responsibility. My last TT was 10 years old when I sold it. No frame or axle issues.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Then you can't have seen the Lippert frames that have fabricated I-beams made from 3 separate pieces of 1/8" mild steel welded together that *look* like a regular I-beam. They are extremely flexible and result in all sorts of major issues including fatigue cracks above the spring hangers. These frames are so flexible, the aluminum framing in the superstructure can even be damaged. These frames are used on 5-6 makes and models of ultra-lites that I've seen. VERY poor design and there WILL eventually be issues if you keep it long enough.

Even "regular" cast steel frames can have issues. Just google "travel trailer or fifth wheel frame cracks."

Lippert went through certification for their welders? You'd never know looking at recently produced frames. I've even had the good fortune (haha) to have a government certified frame and axle shop inspect a 2013 Lippert frame and they said it had serious flaws and was a really poor design. They said the welding quality was poor and not done to typical standards & practices. Very enlightening experience.

Lippert typically blames the owner for any problems and tells you that it's your fault because you overloaded the frame or they may say it's normal. It's very difficult to get them to accept liability and have experienced that first-hand and had to work extremely hard to change that.

A BIG problem in the TT frame industry is that there are NO regulations that a frame manufacturer has to comply with. They can, and do, build whatever they want without accountability to anyone. We've had serious problems with a Lippert frame in the past and I am flabbergasted at what was found wrong.

Thus concludes my thoughts on Lippert frames.

If you want to get a good frame, buy a TT with a BAL/Norco Ultraframe or buy a Nash or Outdoors RV TT that use their own in-house built frames that are independently certified or buy an Airstream.

I do believe the Lippert frame issues were somewhat exaggerated. Lippert has more frames on the road than any other manufacture by a wide margin. So they will have a higher # of problems showing up. I haven't had any frame issues myself but did have some minor brake/axle issues. Lippert was 1st rate in resolving those issues.

I have never thought that an "ultralight" was a good idea..
I didn't think that Nash builds any... I know their reputation is one of HEAVY TTs for their size.

At 11.5K I doubt that mine qualifies as an "ultralight".
It has a 10" thick HEAVY real I beam.... Perhaps the manufacturers who want such a light frame should get the blame.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then you can't have seen the Lippert frames that have fabricated I-beams made from 3 separate pieces of 1/8" mild steel welded together that *look* like a regular I-beam. They are extremely flexible and result in all sorts of major issues including fatigue cracks above the spring hangers. These frames are so flexible, the aluminum framing in the superstructure can even be damaged. These frames are used on 5-6 makes and models of ultra-lites that I've seen. VERY poor design and there WILL eventually be issues if you keep it long enough.

Even "regular" cast steel frames can have issues. Just google "travel trailer or fifth wheel frame cracks."

Lippert went through certification for their welders? You'd never know looking at recently produced frames. I've even had the good fortune (haha) to have a government certified frame and axle shop inspect a 2013 Lippert frame and they said it had serious flaws and was a really poor design. They said the welding quality was poor and not done to typical standards & practices. Very enlightening experience.

A BIG problem in the TT frame industry is that there are NO regulations that a frame manufacturer has to comply with. They can, and do, build whatever they want without accountability to anyone. We've had serious problems with a Lippert frame in the past and I am flabbergasted at what was found wrong.

Thus concludes my thoughts on Lippert frames.

If you want to get a good frame, buy a TT with a BAL/Norco Ultraframe or buy a Nash or Outdoors RV TT that use their own in-house built frames that are independently certified or buy an Airstream.

mileshuff wrote:
Lippert doesn't make frames for Airstream. I'm not too worried about Lippert frames anyways. They had some issues several years ago but haven't heard much trouble in quite some time. They went thru a lengthy training and certification for all of their welders which was certainly a good thing.

I do believe the Lippert frame issues were somewhat exaggerated. Lippert has more frames on the road than any other manufacture by a wide margin. So they will have a higher # of problems showing up. I haven't had any frame issues myself but did have some minor brake/axle issues. Lippert was 1st rate in resolving those issues.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
An Airstream is a different breed of cat. They build their trailers differently than regular trailers. The standard white box trailer is built on top of the frame whereas the strength of an Airstream comes when the frame is connected to the shell of the trailer. Regular trailers have much stronger frames because they have to support the entire trailer body. The strength of an Airstream comes in the way the frame and the aluminum body is built as one piece, like an airplane.

The problem with an Airstream is that the rear bumpers will not support additional weight like other trailers can. It took years before someone came up with a bike rack that can sit on the back of an Airstream. When you look at one you will see that it is connected to the bumper but it is also tied into the shell for support.

These are two completely different animals.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 TTs.
The first one was a 78 Prowler. It had a pretty heavy looking frame with some of the worst welds I have ever seen. No issues though. No idea who made the frame.

The second one was a 2001 Fleetwood Wilderness.
It had a beefy frame as well, and what I would call average welds.. I did have some stress cracks, and torn spring Hangars, which I welded up myself.
I think it was a Dexter frame. I know the axles were.

My present TT has a Lippert frame. It is the strongest one yet. The welds are first rate, and the axles are really nice as well. Everything powder coated to boot.

So based on what I have seen... I prefer a Lippert frame.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert doesn't make frames for Airstream. I'm not too worried about Lippert frames anyways. They had some issues several years ago but haven't heard much trouble in quite some time. They went thru a lengthy training and certification for all of their welders which was certainly a good thing.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They do not use Lippert frames.