cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaskan Pop-Up Campers

cheeseburger9_
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent the last year researching Hallmark and Outfitters. I'm also looking at the Alaskan 10' hard side pop-up. I would like to hear back from anyone with experience with Alaskan campers. I plan on visiting Hallmark & Outfitters, but would like feedback on Alaskan.
5 REPLIES 5

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we have a 2007 alaskan with extended cabover,casset toliet but no shower.Storage inside is a bit limited so we changed to a flat bed and added full length tool boxes under the wings and under the bed. With just me and DW camping we have more than enough storage for all we need.Alaskans are well built but are a bit heavy for their size.We really like the fact they are hardside and popup.The electric hdy lift seems very dependable although it is a bit fussy keeping it leavel raising or lowering but with a little pratice I dont consider it a problem.Our truck is a 2005 dodge 3500 drw, with camper loaded we get about 14-15 mpg.Alaskans I believe usually come without a factory grey water tank. I added a custom built 25 gallon tank for ours behind the left side tool box and auxilary batteries behind the right side box.Inside acess with top down is not easy,however we can use toilet an acess refrig in a pinch but usually avoid it if other options are available.Bottom line I would recomend them if you prefer a hardside popup.Hope this helps,if any specific questions just ask.
Ramp
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Our first camper was a second-hand Alaskan. We enjoyed it, despite its quirks. Liked that it sat low on the truck BUT ...

The top was hand-pumped up. It wasn't uncommon for it to go up unevenly. Just had to let it down again and start over.

The lack of storage was frustrating. Because the top comes down to counter height, there is no storage up high. Everything is stored below your waist.

Lunch or coffee stops were also frustrating sometimes. Couldn't just climb in and make a quick bite to eat. Had to lift the top each time.

The inconvenience wasn't worth it in the long run. Now with our regular height camper, we're not sure there was much advantage to having a low camper that took the extra effort.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to an Alaskan Camper forum at WTW, they probably have some owners that can give their experience, http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/forum/18-alaskan-camper-discussions/
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Alaskan always appealed to me but never had the coin to buy a good one in my younger days. The early ones were heavy, too much for a half ton, but that likely has changed. Great for getting into the back country in comfort.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
I had a used one 20 years ago on a 92CTD Dodge.Well built but smelled like hydraulic fluid.
would get a new one if I had 30k to spend on a pop up
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200