cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Predator Generator reviews?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now when my build-in Generac died and even new $350 board is not fixing it, I am researching more reasonable option.
$500 inverter generator have excelent reviews and some say it runs smaller AC just fine, but forum search shows 0 topicks.
Hard to believe nobody from the forum tried it?
79 REPLIES 79

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not that much younger, but have long-living ancestors on both sides of the family.
When you drive Bay Bridge from San Francisco to downtown Oakland, on right side you will see huge poster paid by one of medical insurance. It reads
"The first person to live 120 is alive today"
So I have my goals already set.
Buying Predator is not one of them.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Read the fine print carefully.
Those generators have been excluded from the coupons, so unless you get specific coupon for it, it will not work.

At 67, I'm lucky to read the large print, let alone the fine print. I get their stuff in my inbox and candidly I didn't read any print, just saw the July 4th 25% off coupon.

Typical HF.

I must say the last time they had a 25% off coupon, I bought one of the V twin Pred engines for a repower and got the 25% off. That was $699 minus the 25% off.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
ask if he can ran his AC with it.
Thanks for the report.
Appears he's gone.. I'll wait and see.Judging by its size, I'd say it's not likely it would.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read the fine print carefully.
Those generators have been excluded from the coupons, so unless you get specific coupon for it, it will not work.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, a little heads up on the Pred generators and everything at HF, July 4th., ONLY, you can get 25 PERCENT off on any one item at HF. Thats good for almost a hundred bucks off the putt-putt generator.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I saw a Predator in the CG yesterday. It has a real annoying putt-putt noise from the exhaust, and, it surges - constantly. I'll see if I can ask the guy why it's doing that.

More importantly, ask if he can ran his AC with it.
Thanks for the report.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a Predator in the CG yesterday. It has a real annoying putt-putt noise from the exhaust, and, it surges - constantly. I'll see if I can ask the guy why it's doing that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for recommendation David. I used to have friends in Azusa, but settled in Las Vegas this year.
As I post before, we decided to come home for 4th of July and to pick up my portable Honda 3000EU.
I will leave Generac for winter project, but facing $350 for new control board, it is not part availability I am happy about.
When you register with HFT and give them your email, they will send you copy of receipts BTW.
While in Phoenix, I noticed my front jacks tilting more than usual, so at home pulled them out to find rotten wood behind, while aluminum frame had only "bird dropping" weld that broke and whole thing was hold together by jack bracket.
So now beside making rack for different generator, I am fixing the camper frame as well, to make sure I will have no bad surprises going to Florida later this summer.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1, I'm not sure where you live in CA or NV but there is an office for SuperGen in Azusa CA. They son owns the company and is in NJ the Dad runs the CA office. I don't think you will find a $500 generator that will run your AC for long and not have some problems. Honda has parts and service readily available but is very expensive. The 3100 Champion is a really nice machine(I have the 2000)and their service is fantastic. I bought a remanufactured unit and Dad delivered it to my house himself. We're only thirty minutes away from the office but still, the genny wasn't a new one just a remanufactured on. Not a lot of profit when you include hoe delivery.

I know this is not what you asked but I had to deal with a missing part for a HFT high pressure washer. I couldn't find the receipt and couldn't return and NO, ZIP, ZILCH, ZERO parts available. Same with the gennies. The carb compliant Pred. is too new for longevity reports.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bedlam
But you don't run the winterfront on your truck in 90+ degree weather while towing. Do you only carry a spare tire on the front when the temperature drops bellow freezing?

Sorry to deviate from the topic to address this.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
No different than me running a winterfront in clod weather which, I do.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Bedlam
I do now because the chassis cab has the fuel tank where a pickup would normally carry a spare. When I had my short bed Arctic Fox TC on the chassis cab, I had sufficient room between the camper and headache rack to carry the spare. Going to a long bed Host TC changed where I had to store it. You need a SuperTruss that is at least as long as your tire diameter to get a enough of a mounting base. I still am not convinced that mounting a spare in front of the grill does not diminish cooling capacity because of restricted airflow.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29117589/gotomsg/29250087.cfm#29250087

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam, don't you now have your spare mounted to your Super Truss?

Bedlam
My Ford spare was easy to reach even with a 2' rear overhang. The crank with extension allowed me to lower the tire to the ground without having to crawl underneath or detach the camper. From the the side, I could unhook the lift cable from the rim. Driving forward a few feet kept me from having to drag the tire out.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like (in the picture) the spare is offset from center a bit and sticks out somewhat. Mine will be centered and closer to the grill. I've measured the circumference, no headlight issues.

I am a redneck and proud of it so a non issue with me. I even have a gun rack in the truck (and a Trump sticker on the bumper right next to my NRA Life Member decal. Aren't TC's redneck to begin with????

Take it from my experience, all it takes is a one time extraction of the spare from under the back end of the truck on a hot 90+ degree day on the side of an e-way in crawling around in the berm mix to change your mind about spare tire location. I cringe to even think about pulling the spare from underneath on a muddy 2 track (where I usually camp).

May look a bit hookey but for ease of access, it's hard to beat and everyone, at some point will get a flat tire, here's hoping that it's in your driveway instead of out somewhere in the pucker bush.

Thats a big camper btw. Much bigger than mine. Mine is 2200 pounds fully loaded with everything, well within the capabilities of my F350. I downsized from my old Lance purposely and if I buy another one, I'll downsize again to a 4 Wheel Grandby. I'd like to be 2000 pounds fully dressed.

Only 2 of us so room is never an issue and we never take the 'whole house' with us, just the necessities. Must be from my days of being an Eagle Scout and doing hunting trips in remote areas. If I can carry it on my back and climb a mountain, it's all good. If not, it stays home.

I had to have an inside wet bath for my wife. Just me and it would have been no bath
2015 Backpack SS1500