cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any towing with a Nissan NV3500?

ForMyTwins
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what the experience towing with it has been. Will it be a white knuckle experience?

We've had a 2014 SL with towing package for the past several years and it is a very capable van, but I haven't towed anything beyond a small utility trailer. The TT we're looking at is about 34' overall and will likely be about 8,500 fully loaded (7,300 dry). With an 8,700 pound towing capacity (yes, I've calculated weight that will be in the van and we will be fine) we're close to the limit.

For those that have direct experience with this van, what has it been like? Good road holding? Sufficient power for hills (we'll be doing the grape vine in CA on our first big trip)? How is the trans for using a little bit of engine braking?

Thoughts or suggestions for necessary mods? Extra transmission cooler, or is the larger towing package cooler enough?
20 REPLIES 20

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
While it is possible to tow that much weight with an nv3500, if you were able to find one size smaller trailer you would enjoy the towing experience much more. Just because your towing capacity is that high and Nissan puts a good engine and tranny in it doesn't mean that your rear axle payload is ready for that trailer. Or your rear tires. I guarantee you will be over your payload rating with nor.al things in the trailer. That being said, towing overweight isn't the worst thing in the world. Your choice.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

ForMyTwins
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:

Why do you come to a forum and ask a question?

Because I'm looking for real information from people with evidence to back up their claims, not someone to tell me that they know more than the manufacturers, the state and everyone that has experience with more than one rig and one cautiousness level does.

This forum has become a circle jerk of people telling you that you are about to kill everyone on the road if you're over 50% of the knowledgeable people's estimates of safe capacity.

This is a really good way to turn people off of RVing, not give them realistic and well reasoned answers. This is not even the question I was asking about on this thread.

No wonder RV.net has lost about 80% of its visitors in recent years.

I'm done here, I guess I will just trust the RV salesman instead.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP.
I am always supportive of someone taking the time to get things right because you realize that you are responsible for everyone in your vehicle, the members here just want you and yours to be safe.

Weighing your all loaded for a trip 3500 would be a smart idea that makes perfect common sense.
Once you do that, you have to start all over again on the trailer side of life. :S Did you ever think this was going to be so much fun ?

Next, I would research the owners forums of the TT you plan to buy or at least similar floorplans of other brands to get close to real weights, especially tongue weight, which will reflective of how much you load under and around the front queen bed and how many batteries you carry on the TT frame. A good idea of things would be to look at the TT max gross and take 15% as your TW. Anything a little less than that is a lotto win.

Don't make the mistake of overpacking the TV in order to pack less inside the TT (in order to save TT weight so you buy a bigger trailer)
Van owners should keep in mind, the unsecured items you carry inside the TV can become missiles in the event of an accident. People experienced with that tend to load up the TT in order to keep the TV's occupants safe.
It's not the primary impact that causes the injury, it's the secondary impact (something hitting your head) that injures the occupants and from personal experience, it does not have to be a heavy item.
What I did when towing with a van was to buy a smaller trailer that once i loaded it up is within my vans specs.
I'm was able to max out the trailer while keeping the TV relatively empty except for people.
If you have to , you can save TT weight by choosing aluminum skin over Filon and no slides, slideouts are heavy. Its going to be give and take in order to find that comfortable safe combo .

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new here, I have a 2017 Nissan Titan XD diesel. I am looking at RV's to buy and have a lot of options. I do look at my vehicles recommendations and everything else dealing with it. If it is tongue weight then just look at your limits and stay 10% below that. If you decide to go over then just make sure you have equal load throughout.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been RVing since 06 and have towed several TT's with a very capable tow vehicle, that was properly equipped. I have towed in the Rockies, on the plains and everything in between, in different weather conditions.
I visited this forum many many many times before purchasing anything and based on the education I gained from listening to knowledgeable people on this forum I then purchased the proper tow vehicle and never came close to limits of that vehicle. My present rig is well within the limits of the vehicle. Safe travels.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
ForMyTwins wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Too much trailer, length and weight, for that van.

Thanks for the in depth and well explained complaint that has nothing to do with the question.

Why do you come to a forum and ask a question? Is it just for you to have everyone reinforce what you are going to do anyway? Have you ever towed a 34' trailer in windy conditions for several hundred miles with the wrong vehicle? It's your life but more importantly the lives of other people that YOU are possibly endangering!! Enjoy your decision.

How do you know it's the wrong vehicle? You certainly haven't posted anything to back your statement up, which is what the OP is asking for. If you're going to make a statement like that at least make it helpful and back it up with some facts.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
ForMyTwins wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:

Thanks for the in depth and well explained complaint that has nothing to do with the question.

Why do you come to a forum and ask a question? Is it just for you to have everyone reinforce what you are going to do anyway? Have you ever towed a 34' trailer in windy conditions for several hundred miles with the wrong vehicle? It's your life but more importantly the lives of other people that YOU are possibly endangering!! Enjoy your decision.

ForMyTwins
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:

Lol, there's got to be a comedian in every crowd. It's a one ton van with a 146" wheelbase, I guess we all need to upgrade to freighliners to pull a popup now 😃

It's unfortunate that every thread now pretty much turns into a "my truck is bigger than your truck" argument. There's definitely a place for discussion and good understanding of weights and limits, it's a very important topic. But any thread about anything suddenly becomes a complaint that you don't have enough truck unless you're only towing 50% of your tow rating.

Title: What is the best cast iron dutch oven for a pineapple upside down cake?

Answer: You put that pan in your trailer and you will be WAY overweight! If you're overweight and I rearend you on the highway I will sue you, your kids, your uncle and your best friend for everything you've got!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:

Lol, there's got to be a comedian in every crowd. It's a one ton van with a 146" wheelbase, I guess we all need to upgrade to freighliners to pull a popup now 😃
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ForMyTwins
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
My kids love theirs. Their camper is about 5000 lbs. loaded, though. Not near your anticipated weight. They carry 2 adults, 3 kids, dog and misc. gear. I have driven it and it's hard to tell the trailer is there at all.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ForMyTwins
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the followup comments. All good stuff. I have the van because it would definitely be too tight for all six of us (two sets of twins) even with dual bench seats. I hauled myself and 11 boys scouts with gear 500 miles to summer camp a month ago, this van didn't even blink at that load.

GCWR is 16,000 pounds, I'm definitely keeping an eye on that as well. We'll be lightening the load a bit by taking out unneeded seats and paring down other unneeded stuff when hauling. We camp pretty light for the most part, kids are used to tents so we don't need all of the niceties of home.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Just beware that passengers and cargo deduct from the your towing capacity. Like most other vehicles, the NV publishes the max tow rating based on an empty van. I'm guessing you have a van because your family doesn't fit in a pickup?

That said.... The engine has plenty of power. Don't be afraid to let it rev however. It needs to rev to make power.

Maybe before adding an aux trans cooler, monitor the trans temps instead? Most newer trucks have plenty of cooling stock. You should be able to monitor this using the OBD2 port, and a reader like the Scan Gauge or a wireless dongle and the Toruqe app.

BTW - 8500 loaded sounds a little light for a 7300# dry weight, assuming you are referring to the brochure dry weight. That trailer is probably closer to 8,000 pounds when you include options (many of which you'd never think were optional) and the dealer adds the propane tanks and batteries.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST