cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone remount spare under the trailer?

befu
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I need bike storage and think I have a solution but need to move the spare from the bumper. Is it standard on any campers or has anyone modified theirs to mount underneath the camper? Not sure if I would hinge it or set it up on a crank like the spare on the burb.

Any ideas before I start from scratch?

Thank you,

Brian
2012 Puma 31dbts TT
2004 Suburban 2500 - 3.73 - 8.1L - 4x4
Helping global warming at 496 cubic inches per revolution!
7 REPLIES 7

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a tire hoist to match my vehicle from a scrap yard. I used 1" square tubing and made a T shaped frame and welded it behind the rear axle. I drilled a access hole through the frame for the crank handle.

I tried to add pics but tinypic wouldn't let me sign in. If you PM me with a email address I'll send them to you.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
same answer as coolbreeze
Komfort mounted the spare underneath my 21T .
cranks down just like my gmc pickup
i use a bike rack on the back to carry folding chairs .

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mine is under the tongue as well, For now. I don't like it there. I'm thinkin of putting in on the rear.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is mounted OE under the trailer. When you look at new TT's, if there isn't a spare on the rear, chances are its mounted underneath. Have fun.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats where mine is mounted. I also fabbed a simple mount for our last TT. Couple,of simple brackets and a piece of box tubing and it was done.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe mount it on the A frame in front of the TT?
Norm
F1BNorm

djenson
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing for a bike rack. I just took off my bumper mount and fastened it to the frame underneath. Worked real good except for going in out of some campgrounds and service stations with large dips in the entry. I had to take mine off because it dragged and was rubbing the tire. Perhaps it would have worked if I mounted it closer to the axles. However it would have been a pain to get the tire off if it was needed.

So I gave up on the bikes and put the tire back in it original position. Sorry not much help but maybe you can gain from my experience.
Retirement: Waking up with nothing to do and going to bed with half of it done.