cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anza Borrego TC Rescue

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
buried my camper this weekend in June wash. Pulled into the wash and thought, I don't need to put it in 4wd just yet..

200yards down the road decided to stop for lunch and then put it in 4wd...

It just won't engage!!

I got to dig a swimming pool in the desert

5 hours later I had enough and called my bro who came to the rescue
RESCUE VIDEO

finally got to our campsite for the weekend and could relax

thinking of adding some rescue platforms to the gear list, any suggestions?

also, after 5 hours of my camper being totally out of level, my fridge shut down and took the whole weekend to get back in the 30's, another reason to get a compressor fridge.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
43 REPLIES 43

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a chain link fence material that has the holes (weave) about 1/2 the size of the typical fencing. That could be worth considering.

I have given thought to using 1/2" or 3/4" horse stall mats cut in 18" stripes.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
On the east coast sand, some people use chain link fencing. A little wider than the tire and several feet long. Rolls up compact. I've seen it work.
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really don't know how we could be ideally prepared for every situation, especially when 4 wheeling. With a truck and camper, even more difficult if we go off road.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It all depends on how stuck you get. In my jeeping days, we've had two 9,000# winches with snatch blocks pulling a 4,000# jeep and not able to get it to move. We had to do some digging and still put a 3rd 9,000# winch straight line to the vehicle to finally get it out. It was buried to the doors in a sticky glue clay.

Then there was the situation where I nose dived my jeep into a hole and couldn't back up. Used a 1,500# ratchet to give me the little extra I needed to get out. It was a slow process of putting as much strain on the ratchet, then back up the jeep about an inch, repeat process about 60 times to get unstuck.

Usually they recommend 1-1/2 times the vehicle weight and this takes into account using a snatch block at times.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
You're right, a snatch block will double the pull force, and two will triple it. The cost of that is a much shorter pull range before having to re-set the cables for another short pull. But, you gotta do what you gotta do when you gotta do it.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see any mention of using a snatch block with an undersized winch. Unless I Am missing something, it doubles the winch capacity. I cannot help but think a 5000 pound winch with a snatch block would not be adequate. That would give a 10000 lb pull capacity. You are not lifting 10000 lbs. Am I missing something?

Wayne

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like Steve, I think having an under-sized winch on a heavy truck camper rig could put one in a situation where some part of the winch may fail...anyhow, that's just my opinion.

Only if you over work the winch. There is a huge difference between trying to get a bogged vehicle out and one that only lacks sufficient traction.

The winch motor will only pull so much and is designed to be the weak link in the winch. The motor will not pull more than the rest of the winch can with stand.

I would rather have the undersized winch on my truck than no winch at all. In just about every situation where the winch could be used, it will be enough to provide that little extra pull that my tires can't to get me out of a situation. At least in my case, it's for the "whoops" moment, not the "oh I have a winch if I can't make it" moment.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
Nolan, sorry to hear about this. For deep sand, 20 psi works best.

....I have to completely agree with Mike. 40 psi for that kind of sand (Borrego area sand) is way too firm; try 20 psi.

The other thing I just caught with your rig is On edit: you have an SRW truck, not dual. Correction noted.

Like Steve, I think having an under-sized winch on a heavy truck camper rig could put one in a situation where some part of the winch may fail...anyhow, that's just my opinion.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
anutami wrote:
...I found these Tracgrabbers as well but it looks like the claw would probably work better

I think the Tracgragger would be as good or better than the claws.

Years ago I was into Sandalrails. Iran several different cuts on my Paddle tires. Like the paddle tires, the Tracgragger would move a lot of sand. They would be a smoother ride getting off the sand. I think the same would be true in show. I think the material they are made of would be more pliable and less likely to get damaged. I may give them a try.

Wayne

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reddog1 wrote:
anutami wrote:
Ventura Dogman wrote:
Has anyone ever tried the Truckclaws or knows anyone who has? I like the concept but I have not seen any user reviews other than the videos on the manufacturer's website.

That claw looks pretty nice, but I wonder how well it will work with a 3000lb camper in the bed of the truck. I was also looking for reviews but can't find any. when I got stuck I called the tow company and they wanted $150 an hour with a 2 hour minimum to rescue me. So it looks like the claw will pay for itself pretty easily if you have to call a tow. Nice insurance to have. Thanks for the link on this.
I tried to email them, but could not get their email address to work. I'm wondering if they would work on a DRW. Looks like they would.

I am curious, did you try dumping water under the tires to aid in traction? A good opportunity to dump gray water. Worse case use some of your fresh water.

Wayne

No, didn't dump anything. Didn't even think to do so.
I found these Tracgrabbers as well but it looks like the claw would probably work better
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
To everyone who doesn't understand why his hubs wouldn't engage, those auto-hubs won't engage after you're already stuck, the wheels need to roll a little as they engage.
Seriously flawed, absolute garbage design.
If you can convert to full manual hubs, not only do you gain the ability to use 2-low, but for the terrible inconvenience of getting out and twisting the lock knobs you WILL have 4WD when you need it. They try to make everything just a dashboard button to sell the things...

This is the only thing I hate about my Cummins/Dodge as compared to my old GMC with manual Warn hubs. It's a very expensive fix on my truck.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
kereams wrote:
Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Maxtrax.

This. Lower tire pressure, dump the vacuum hubs (junk and unreliable until it's too late) maxtrax or similar traction board will take care of most situations. Soft sand can sneak up on you like it did. Frank on had a similar thing happen.

Winch and anchor....maybe. I don't think you go many place that you'll need it BUT as you found out...the one time you do, you DO. The issue is, you can add a ton of weight with all the above, so I'd go for a air compressor to air back up, maxtrax and fix your hubs. Small weight, will work for most cases.

If you find that doesn't work, highlift, more traction boards, beadlocks, winch, lots of straps, anchor....we can go nuts here. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Well, you know what they say -- "if you ain't gettin' stuck now and then, you ain't four wheelin'."

Actually, they don't say that -- I just made it up -- but it sounds like something they ought to say.

All about the Adventure....Thats what brings us together.

Thanks for the thread.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

kereams
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Maxtrax.
*2011 F350 SRW CC/LB/PSD - Mods: Custom overload springs with custom early engagement blocks~Firestone Airbags~Hellwig Big Wig Rear Sway~Rancho RS9000XL~Bilstein Steering Damper~19.5" Hankook DH01'a on steel wheels.
*2012 Chalet Ascent S95R Camper