cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Dually Extension Brackets Unsafe?

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
When I thought I had it figured out, now this...

Everyone is saying to get the biggest truck you can. Because even if you don't need it now you may want to upgrade to a heavier truck camper in the future, or add a tow (which is my case, that I want the ability to add a tow in the future).

Which means a dually.

This is the decision that Truck Camper Magazine came to with for their new truck (within the past year I think), and the opinion expressed repeatedly in this forum.

Now someone told me, don't get a dually. And this wasn't just anyone. It someone with extensive truck camper industry experience. What he said:

They are a problem for fitting into parking spaces. This one I already knew and accepted.

Duallys are terrible on snow and ice. This I didn't know. I would assume with 4 rather than 2 tires on the ground that a dually would be that much better for snow and ice. Not so? Although I didn't tell him that I am planning on a 4x4 dually, and possibly that makes a difference.

Then the big one. You shouldn't camp in a truck camper with dually extension brackets. The extension is a hinge that swings in and out. It isn't stable. It is ok for storing the camper off the truck, but you shouldn't camp off the truck in a camper with dually brackets.

I hope those with actual experience can please express an opinion about these topics. About the snow / ice issue, and especially about the dually brackets.

Specifically the camper being discussed uses Happijac jacks and dually brackets. Possibly those are not the best jacks?

He said to get a 1 ton SRW. That a dually is unnecessary. That a 1 ton SRW has enough carrying capacity. But what I read is the next thing people with a SRW do is a $2,000 upgrade to 19.5 tires. Where the dually option is (if I recall) around $1,500. And (at least in the specs for the latest model trucks) you get more payload from a dually than a SRW. Also the recent thread people saying duallys drive better loaded with a camper. But if I can't camp off the truck with dually extension brackets that is a killer problem.
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas
88 REPLIES 88

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
sky_free, what tires are you running?

Wayne

I actually replied to your tire question in another thread -- they are the Michelin LTX AT/2. I think these are good tires, but they are not meant specifically for snow of course, and there is probably no significant difference between these and other all-season radials. My point is that 4WD should be adequate as long as you have decent tires.

I noticed you had asked about my sway bar in that thread and it's just the stock sway bar that came with it.

My disclaimer is that I do have a lot of experience driving in snow having lived in Crested Butte, Colorado for 8-years, the mountains of New Mexico for another 8, and Buffalo, NY for a while, so it doesn't faze me much at this point. I did recently buy dedicated snow tires for my Touareg because our new house in South Lake Tahoe is far back on a less-travelled road and I anticipate some deep snow problems. At our old house it was always well-plowed, but often icy.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pictures of a collapsed TC means the bracket was unsafe is kind of like a picture of a wrecked rv beside the road means all RVs are unsafe.

Context is important. Most of us have read of accidents that were user error for TCs. Most of the OPs explain their mistake. I don't remember any blame on the dually bracket.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
In all this discussion, there is ONE anecdote about a failed swing out bracket, and this is a cause for concern?

From someone who as far as we know doesn't even own a camper...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
bobbolotune wrote:
805gregg wrote:
One of my swing out brackets failed and caused the camper to fall on the side and land on my wife's car

This story is of more concern than the winter driving issue...

In all this discussion, there is ONE anecdote about a failed swing out bracket, and this is a cause for concern?

I mean, if several people reported swing out bracket failures, then maybe it would be a concern. Here it's a one-off thing, which you will have to expect for any product. Nothing is 100% reliable.

Even without the dually brackets the jacks could still collapse and dump the camper on the ground, so maybe you should get rid of your truck camper. What a ridiculous notion!

The point is you're already taking many risks. It makes no sense to draw the line at this.

in the past there have been many reports of a camper collapsing for unknown reasons many were blamed on driver error loading and unloading but, not verified as the cause . In fact Paul Beddows posted 1 or 2 pictures of at least 2 different campers that had collapsed .link to discussion
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
bobbolotune wrote:
805gregg wrote:
One of my swing out brackets failed and caused the camper to fall on the side and land on my wife's car

This story is of more concern than the winter driving issue...

I mean, if several people reported swing out bracket failures, then maybe it would be a concern. Here it's a one-off thing, which you will have to expect for any product. Nothing is 100% reliable.

Even without the dually brackets the jacks could still collapse and dump the camper on the ground, so maybe you should get rid of your truck camper. What a ridiculous notion!

The point is you're already taking many risks. It makes no sense to draw the line at this.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Dedicated winter tires are night and day better on snow and ice over an all season or all terrain tire. The winter compound and tread designs work wonders...even on a 2 wheel drive or dually. All of us carry heavy loads and know that common sense when driving is what counts!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
My part of the country gets a good amount of snow, and often a glaze type of ice. As I live in the country, roads are not treated in any way. I've owned 2 duallies, both with 4x4. Most often, especially just on snow, I don't need it. I think they handle better than my other srw's, but it sounds like I'm in the minority on that one.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
My camper stands on it's jacks quite a bit, and I have no fears of any of the jacks failing. When I got my current truck I even had to "extend the extenders" on the front jacks because the dually fenders are wider on the F450 than on my old F350.

When it's up high enough to load it on the truck, yes it can be a little wobbly. When we're using the TC off the truck (like I just did this weekend), I lower it down as far as it will go. We weren't really in the camper much this weekend, so I didn't bother trying to stabilize it any. If I do need to stabilize it, I will put a single jack-stand directly under the pass-through window between the front jacks. I've also used my 20L Jerry can in the same place if I don't have a jack stand.

If the terrain is such that a jack stand isn't tall enough, I've even done this to stabilize it overnight. Just back under it enough to rest the camper on the end of the bed.

Most important: I made sure the front jacks were securely mounted soon after I bought this camper 10 years or so ago. I made sure the wood frame was sound, through-bolted them better than they were before, and sealed against moisture.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Just for grins... 😉

This was me this past winter after a snow storm, trying to take the kids sledding at our local mountains. It is a gravel single track with turnouts, usually ice under the snow.

I pulled out more people that I care to count... Some because of the conditions, some from pure stupidity... I had the weight of the camper, skinny studded tires, a snow-plow and chains with "V" ice biters. The kids never got to go sledding, as we had to go back to town, but they had a great time making up Ford commercials, as they saw what the right set-up can do. They also kind of thought that it was all because of the Ford... I had to break it to them that it was more physics than Ford or any other make....

But it was rather fun!!!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
One of the main reasons we bought the TC was for winter camping and skiing. We have used the TC 40 to 70 days per year in winter for the past 9 years. Five in the Sierra and and the last four years in NW Montana.

The following increases the odds of making it up a grade or to get going (unless you love putting on chains) and make it down in a controlled fashion.

Weight over the drive tires
Ground clearance
Real winter tires on all wheels (studded, if allowed in your state)

As can be seen below the center or gravity for my truck (fueled and with people in the cab is just under the steering wheel. When it is slick out there isn't much weight over the rear axle vs the front axle (3,161 vs 4,601).

Without the TC in the bed and RWD only, my truck doesn't get very far, even around town in the flats. However engage 4WD and the dually handles the drive up to the local ski hill just fine.

My 4,200 lb TC sits 2" back in the bed and it's center of gravity is about an inch forward of the rear axle center line. With the TC in the bed in RWD only the truck has lots of traction with the winter tires. With it in 4WD it has even better traction. Depending on how much snow falls in a day, the ground clearance of a 4x4 will allow you to go through deeper snow without having to put chains on.

If it is really deep (>12" wetter snow), I'm chained up on all 6 wheels and I'd rather float / paddle with the cross bar reinforced (v-bar) chains on the dually, cable chains won't give you enough bite. While tire width is important to avoid floating on slush in my 2,200 lb sports car with my 9" wide summer tires vs. 6.0" winter tires, I'd submit that if you can float your tires, with your TC in the truck you are going too fast for the conditions.

My 12,000 lb combined weight doesn't float anywhere. Drifting into a snowy curve, correcting for the skid and then accelerating in a car can be fun. Going sideways with a top heavy TC in the back, even an empty 4x4, is a prescription for tipping over.

Finally with your TC in the back, you have lots of momentum, so going back down the hill requires technique and judgement, in addition to good equipment. Witness all the 4x4 vehicles with bad equipment, bad technique, or both. You can see them spinning on the way back down from the ski hill, or in the ditch or bank. Manage your speed by choosing a lower gear and if you need to brake, do so while the road is straight and has minimal camber.

One advantage you have with the TC in the back is you can wait comfortably another day(s) while the highway department or the resort regains control of the road or parking lot.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
My camper's outer walls are just about even with the outside of the dually fenders.... so parking the truck camper or just parking the truck feels about the same to me.

The stability in side winds is much better with our duallys.... And we encounter these winds year around.... even when being passed or passing big vehicles on the enterstate highways

If you live anywhere near me come by... I'll let you drive our rig...

sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm happy for you if your spaces are big enough for a DRW. In my area, that is rarely the case. SRWs don't always fit between the lines.

I put really agressive tires on my DRW. It's unclear if I will have problems in the snow since we barely had any last year. There are real disadvantages of a DRW. Yet, I changed from a SRW with 19.5s to a DRW. There are some advantages as well depending on which one you buy. 😉

The brackets being a problem is a new one, but I don't camp with my TC off truck. If I was going to do that regularly, I'd have a trailer instead. I think that if they brackets hold for the giant TCs, most of us will be fine.

You could always start with a DRW and put super singles on it if you want a SRW. Or do this. http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/drw-to-srw.php

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
My old 91 DRW was terrible in the snow. I put on Goodyear Extra Grips. No problems after that. Tire technology has come a long way since then.

The TC I had back then chasing the race cars needed boxes to extend past the duallies. Those jacks made me scared, mainly because the camper wasn't in best shape. I am guessing technology has changed.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
happi jac brackets should have gussets welded to the face each plate
I have seen at least 4 campers who's swing out brackets bent to dangerous angles .
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I only have a couple snow trips on my DRW. It does tend to float more than my SRW and I would not like the drive if I did not either have the TC on the rear or 4wd engaged. My SRW had many snow trips and also was not that good in 2wd when empty due to the heavy diesel up front and light bed over the drive wheels. Once I started taking the TC skiing, I used 4wd much less than I used to in previous years. Where I live much of the snow is right at the freezing point, so it gets slick in hurry once you apply pressure or heat from the tires to it. My DRW has traction control where my SRW did not - I'm still getting used to that in slick situations and how it reacts verses having to control spin myself.

Bedlam makes some great points...

I live in Kodiak Alaska where the weather goes from rain to snow to rain frequently, and makes for really icy and slick conditions. The company i work for has a fleet of 60+ trucks and vans, many dually. Any of the dually's have more problems in the slick stuff, even with studded tires, unless they are 4x4. (we have both) On my F350, my summer 19.5's are terrible on wet grass, mud snow and ice... but make my camper rock solid. In the winter here I run 235x85x16 studded mud and snows and carry chains. The set that I have now have taken me and my truck lots of places that others had problems going. I had a dually long-bed one year older than my current truck, but didn't have a camper then. It was similar in the snow to my current F350, very tail light, but throw a load in the bed and it plowed right through most situations. If you are really worried about the snow, either go with the cable chains, or get what I got, and that is the Cam-tightened chain link chains. Real easy to install, excellent traction etc...

Hope this helps.
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper