cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto tire deflate/inflate

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
How many would pay for this as a new truck option??? I know as someone who frequent offroads I would pay good mioney. Screw the 18 stinkin useless cameras and navigation BS. Give me something useful...

It amazes me with all these fancy BS truck options we have these days I still have to bust out the air compressor and hose every time I want to hook up the trailer.0
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
12 REPLIES 12

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along with being able to adjust tire pressure on-the-fly to accommodate different loads, it would nice to have the option to adjust the headlights on-the-fly, too.

We could adjust the headlights up and down using a small knob on the dash of our '12 Tundra (standard on all Tundra trim levels). Super useful to compensate for sag. Can't believe this isn't a standard feature on all the Big 3 HD trucks.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
Curious...

Anyone know how these work ?

Either a seal between the rotating tire/wheel to a stationary air line on the hub somewhere.

Or, a tiny pump inside the tire cavity hooked up to a special Schrader valve. Assume a counter weight 180* apart.

One per tire

Bluetooth interface

Or is there an extremely nifty design ?

Too many parts to fail for me to consider

The ones that I have noticed all have a rotating seal. Unless you put a compressor in each wheel and then run power through a rotating coupler I don't see any way around that.

Not only complexity but hard to make look attractive on many vehicles too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I am in the, it would be a useful feature camp as well.
That said, I also prefer simplicity and reliability and a central inflation system sounds like the opposite of that (years down the road).

But from a general consumer level, average intelligence/mechanical aptitude perspective, even if you base it solely on the small sample size group here on rvnet where folks "should" be a bit more saavy given their hobby is towing or hauling, you'll find that the average person is lucky to know "how" to put air in tires, much less how much and when and why.

So unless the central air system was also automatic and load sensing, it would result in plenty of screw ups by the trailer backing assist crowd! lol

To answer the question though, yes I'd trade 360deg cameras, trailer assist, braking/steering assist, TPMS nanny, massaging seats and a host of other useless cr@p for central air. Absolutely
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Curious...

Anyone know how these work ?

Either a seal between the rotating tire/wheel to a stationary air line on the hub somewhere.

Or, a tiny pump inside the tire cavity hooked up to a special Schrader valve. Assume a counter weight 180* apart.

One per tire

Bluetooth interface

Or is there an extremely nifty design ?

Too many parts to fail for me to consider
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I would love the feature and would gladly pay for it. Between having to go off road at the farm, deer lease, and the beach it would get used.

Another benefit is that I would be able increase my rear PSI up to 80 when towing and back down to 50 when not towing for a smoother ride.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is low on my priority list. On the other hand, air adjustable height suspension is very high. Since that requires a compressor it should be easy to add a manual tire inflation feature while at it. I don't foresee ever wanting the added complexity of auto inflate even if it was free. I just wouldn't use it that much.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the OP on "...Screw the 18 stinkin useless cameras and navigation BS...."

But, am okay with a bicycle hand pump, electric pump, etc and had them when off road a lot

Best was just a 10 gallon tank with a Schrader valve filled up to 120 PSI

Aired all 4 over sized, flotation tires back up enough to run on the highway till a gas station was found. Then finish airing them up

If the OP is filling air bags...they don't take much air...IMHO
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like a dash button that lowered my rear tires for daily driver use or raise hauling loads. Better yet a knob or sliding bar, that let one set the pressure. Every time Costco rotates my tires, I have to sit there and let the rear back down from 80 PSI before driving off their lot. I have even showed them the pressure chart that at 45 PSI the tires have a 2470 lb capacity, 4940 for a rear axle that weights around 3300-3500 pounds. No go sir, door jam says 80 pounds for rear tires!!!! And I say, do you think the rear axles is at it's rated 7,000 lbs right now???
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Very few trucks ever go off road. Of those, most are not serious enough to mess around with tire pressure (yes, I understand the benefits but for light duty off road they just don't)

Most do back up on a regular basis.

Manufacturers are well aware and offer options that people will use.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
At one time the H1 Hummers had that feature.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, tell us what you really think! Let it all hang out! lol
Seriously an on board air compressor can break...expensive...like all the navigation stuff. I’ll keep my HF unit and my iPad Forest Maps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Give the folks at Tire Pressure Control up in Canada a call for your central tire inflation needs.