cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

awning covers

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I read a thread here several weeks ago about making your own awning cover out of PVC. I found a much lighter, much cheaper plastic drain pipe, cut about 25% out lengthwise. It snaps on and off easily, weighs about 1 pound, and has holes to allow the water to dry out, without the sun getting to my awning. Hope I load the pics right. This is my first try.
First time with photobucket. I copied the url but the image button isn't working. Any suggestions?

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/dockmasterdave/awning%20cover/awningcover1.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/dockmasterdave/awning%20cover/awningcover2.jpg
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
25 REPLIES 25

memom
Explorer
Explorer
Like your idea. Save some $$ too more money to put towards fuel, Thanks

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to give this a try. I am tired of cleaning the durn thing every time I want to go camping and the UV protection is fantastic
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
I would cut the 25% from the area that would put the holes on the downward side.
A Ladder would be your best bet to install/remove this cover, you will have to be careful. And you'll just be putting it on when you are parked and in a storage situation, not using your rig. Other wise it should be off while you are going to camp. It would be great for wind protection while traveling if desired, if you anticipated high winds and awning damage.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stilts? :w
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
BillB800si wrote:
Someone's going to have to educate me here. How do you get this cover on and off your awning. I mean that awning is way up there????

Standing by,
A ladder maybe?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Someone's going to have to educate me here. How do you get this cover on and off your awning. I mean that awning is way up there????

Standing by,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

Cyclops69
Explorer
Explorer
Great use of a sewer drain field pipe

I am pretty sure you can get it in white and green also from either Home Depot or a landscaping type store . It's sold as drainage pipe for gutter down spouts

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
2012 coleman: Yes, I just ran it through my table saw, turned 1/4 turn and ran it again. Light, easy to put on and off, cheap and quick to make. If you don't have access to a table saw, most cabinet shops will do it for you. Took me about a minute and a half to do 2 pieces.They even have 1 flared end on each so they hook together. Good luck.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
1buda I accidentally left it on while driving a short distance at about 55 to 60. No problems. But I think it is pretty much to protect the awning from sun while parked for extended periods. Sorry for my attitude, but thank you for the positive response.
OK - I've got some of this lying around, but it already has holes in it so no need to punch more in. I assume that you cut the pipe down the entire length then spread it apart to install over the awning - correct?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

kckettridge
Explorer
Explorer
Might I suggest using Sem Plastic Prep before painting it with Krylon Paint for Plastics. It allows the paint to stick and flex. You can get it at automotive paint supply stores or online. It's not cheap but it works great. I have used it multiple times when painting plastic pieces.

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of pieces of the plastic rain gutter from Lowes works well for storage.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Wmoses I am a state licensed mold re mediator. You are right. Mold doesn't care what the temperature is. It only needs 2 things to live on. Moisture , and a tasty food source, being anything that was once alive. The paper on the back side of drywall is especially good. Plastic, not so much. You may get mildew, but not mold.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
1buda I accidentally left it on while driving a short distance at about 55 to 60. No problems. But I think it is pretty much to protect the awning from sun while parked for extended periods. Sorry for my attitude, but thank you for the positive response.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
rgolding wrote:
And a petri dish of mold, because of the extra heat.

In these parts mould does not need a specific temperature. So far so good on my awning.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_