cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning tie downs straps

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to find out if there is a definitive answer on using tiedowns on newer electric awnings. I've herd arguments both ways. I'm always getting asked. My usual answer is no. It's a button use it. Plus straps will slow that process if in a hurry.
16 REPLIES 16

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a BUS with 2 Paramount two stage electric awnings and I'll give you our experience. Each is very large and has a wind sensor on it that can be set to retract the awning in varying amounts of wind. Since we fish in Valdez, Alaska we see a lot of rain. Depending on the forecast we may want to leave the awnings out so we throw a rope over each end and tie it down to a 5 gal bucket filled with rocks and water. If we go that way, we have to be careful to deactivate the auto-retract function as these awnings will lift 2 5gal pails of rocks and water right off the ground if they get a retract call. Been there, done that, no damage as I got to the switch fast. If you have a manual awning with a spring on one end to aid in shedding water, Tying the awnings will work in light to moderate wind, but if you catch a good blow, you lost the awning. Sort of a coin flip, especially if you're going to be away from the rig when a storm blows up.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You mean tie down when out, or travelling?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman