cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning with Kitchen Slide

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
We've been looking at the Heritage Glen/Hemisphere 300BH models. Wondering if the slide out for the kitchen will take away much of the usable space under the awning?

For that matter, anyone own either of these models and have any comments one way or the other?
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R
9 REPLIES 9

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
That certainly puts a different slant on this. If you're buiding a cover, you can extend the outdoor area to gain the space needed. It does appear that there is not an awning over the kitchen slide as standard. Having a covered area, your need for the awning would be seldom, I'd guess. With this additional info, I would say if you love the trailer, it fits the needs of the dog, go for it.

BTW, one dog is not sufficient.....strongly suggest you make a stop at your local shelter or contact a rescue organization - even breed specific rescue - and get your dog a buddy. Adopt/don't shop. Happy camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
To answer a couple questions, we are a family of 4, plus at least one dog (so far!). Our primary use for the camper will be on our property at a local lake. I plan to build a roof over the camper to keep it somewhat protected from the elements, and also add a deck on the front. That being said, we do want to be able to take it to campgrounds/rv parks on occasion.
I'm not sure how much we'll use the awning in the primary location - was just wondering if the kitchen slide would make the awning useless, or just east up a bit odd space. The slide is fairly narrow, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad on the times we do end up camping.
We really like the extra space on the inside, considering that this will be used more as a cabin than a camper.
Thanks for the responses so far.
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a really nice looking trailer. The kitchen slide is not that wide that I can see. Either way you will need a good size site to put it on and just adjust to maybe having to rearrange your outside chairs and table. I would much rather have the extra room inside and just do the best you can with the patio arrangement. Probably wouldn't work on a rustic type site, but many campgrounds have nice wide sites and just remember when booking a site to get the measurements and let them know what yours are.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
If you have access to one to visit in person, strongly suggest you get tape measure in hand and at least do a demo set up. Assuming that if you're looking at a 30' bunkhouse, it means that there are more than 2 in the family. Agree that the extra kitchen space is nice, but you lose valuable outdoor space.

Our awning is 17'. We lose the space directly in front of the steps at each FAR end, so likely end up with about 14' usable. We routinely have 2 zero gravity + 2 bag chairs and a couple small drink tables. Personal opinion is that the space available on the units you're looking at would have everyone practically on top of each other and no walking space. However.......consider how you camp, the number of people and go from there. It may be very acceptable for you, and yes, the kitchen is very, very nice.

Good luck, happy shopping and happy camping.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any that I've seen would not be for us. But, different jokes for different folks!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dtzackus
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a model like that at a camp ground, the slide is only a mini slide and doesn't take up too much space...
Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2018 Highland Ridge Open Range OF374BHS
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
That model does not appear to have an awning that goes over the kitchen slide.

We are considering a Bullet 310BHS as our next trailer and does have an awning that goes over the slide. I have read that you DO want to protect the awning in cases where it goes over the slide.

For me, I think I can live with the slide taking a little bit of outside space in trade for the incredible amount of storage and counter space you gain with an island kitchen layout. Coming from a trailer with virtually none of those, that is what I'm most looking forward to.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely would not find it's way to our house based almost solely on the kitchen slide/outdoor space. The floorplan shows a 14' slide including the area for the steps and a small space between the steps and the slide. You're ending up with maybe 10' of usable space. Suggest you mark off 10 x maybe 8 in your yard, try to set up your normal outdoor chairs, etc. You're out of space before you get started. The rest of the trailer is nice, but that would be a deal breaker for us. Sorry.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
That configuration makes no sense to me. Those slides really eat up your "patio" space. Most I have seen also get in the way of the awning, making it impossible to pitch it one way or the other. There is also the problem of the corners of the slide ripping through the awning which will lay right on top of it. People live with this by putting pipe insulation on top of the slide. Quote the rig.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers