cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

axle hitting frame question

mustang95
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 coachmen freedom express ltz 296 I purchased new last year. My family and I used it for 6 camping trips that year. This spring I noticed the axle u bolts have been hitting the frame and have put dents on both sides of the trailer. The driver side is worse approx. ½” dent in the frame and 1/8” on passenger side. I have about 3” of suspension travel the axle is above the spring and I was told it should have 4-5”. I have contacted my dealer where I purchased the trailer and they said the alignment may be off and should be checked their only concern was if the trailer towed straight down the road. I don’t think the problem is an alignment I think my dealer is sweeping this under the carpet. I have not seen or heard another travel trailer with this type of damage. Is this normal? Is this something I should be worried about? I am looking at the correct track 2 as it aligns and gives 2” lift. Has anybody had any issues with the correct track system?
12 REPLIES 12

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer had springs sized as Spike99 elaborated. 5000# across two axles, 1250# per spring. GVWR 5345#. I was headed out on vacation last summer and got 90 miles from home. Pulled into a rest area for a sandwich and did my walk around. Something didn't look right. Left rear trailer spring was broken! Managed a tow to a shop, overnight in a motel and back on the way next morning with a new spring.

Got home and did some research. Apparently Lippert had some bad springs, but these were loaded just below ratings (I scaled the trailer loaded). I ordered four 1750# springs and changed them. The other rear spring was considerably flatter than the front ones. Apparently the rear axles are more heavily loaded (I'll have to rescale the trailer to verify this). New springs installed and thing pulls much better. I had already done the Dexter upgrade with the EZ Flex.

I will be watching the springs and axles closely this year. The EZ Flex with the heavier links and wet bolts make all the difference in the world. Smoother ride, and absolutely no spring creak.

If you haven't, it wouldn't hurt to look at your axles and springs. I was lucky the spring didn't break at 65mph. Apparently it did it as I stopped and there was no collateral damage.
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

Love your stronger rated leaf springs. Much better arch.

Also love your - click here - upgrade to create smoother ride (for stronger leaf spring packs) as well.

For more details, surf: http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/03/27/rv-leaf-spring-equalizer

Great work!!!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do your springs look flat like this?

Or nice arc like this?

I think these are 4" hangers, 3500# axles, trailer GVWR 7880.
Old springs 3500# rated, new 4400# rated.

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

Yes. Damaged axle beams (at hub ends) could be from trailer being over loaded. Definitely "average load" your TT as if going on a camping trip and visit the local road scales - to get it weighed. Then compare its average loaded number against its GVWR (on its identification sticker). For more details, surf: - click here -

Average loaded TT could be under GVWR number but could have under sized axles under the RV/TT as well. To save costs, many RV/TT builders are sizing minimum axles based on 13% tongue weight "subtraction". This subtraction is ok if we lived in a perfect white board world - where trailers are evenly loaded, one doesn't pull up hill and one doesn't pull across double railway tracks. Very bad "assumptions" that is creating more and more RV/TT axle problems in real life. IMO, the 13% toque weight subtraction method should NEVER be used in real life.

IMO, one should take the TT's GVWR. Let's say its 6,800 lbs. If TT has 2 x axles, let's use TT GVWR of 7,000 lbs (for easy math). By using simple math, the TT's axles would be 3,500 lbs each. And, their leaf spring sets are 3,500 lbs each as well. IMO, very simple math - for minimum build specs.

For many TT makers, they would use 6,800 lbs and subtract 13% for its distributed tongue weight and resulting number would be 6,800-883 (which is 13% of 6,800 lbs) = 5,917 lbs. Based on perfect white board diagram world, the TT Factory (and their lawyers) would install 2 x 3,000 lbs axle (with 3,000 lbs leaf springs) under the RV/TT. Thus, saving them build dollars (and still legally win during a law suit battle).

In above paragraphs, 1,000 lbs variance doesn't sound like much. But 1,000 lbs stronger means the difference of less weird tire wear. And, less suspension compression - that can hit another part (to create bends / cracks when it hits). As a minimum, the 13% subtraction should never be used in real life.

For me (when rebuilding trailer suspensions), I always apply the 80% under all leaf spring trailer suspensions. If trailer is rated for 7,000 lbs, I like to use 20% above. For example, 7,000 x 1.2 = axle and leaf springs built for 8,400 lbs trailer (even if the trailer's GVWR is max 6,800 lbs). Or, 2 x 4,200 lbs axles and 4,200 lbs leaf springs on each axle as well. Thus, allowing my trailers to have 20% buffer above minimum - for those double railway tracks and sudden deep bumps in CG's long grass.

If getting new axles and leaf springs installed, do build "20% above factory minimum build" as well. Even if you have to pay a variance (next size up from factory) cost difference out of your own pocket.

For me, I would replace existing damaged axles with 20% next size up replacements. Especially if I plan to keep the TT for many years...

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The very first thing to do is get it weighed. By doing that you will verify that it is or isn't overloaded. If it isn't overloaded it may have the wrong springs.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The springs are mounted under the axle and the U bolts are facing upwards and the ends of the U bolts are hitting the frame. IMO the springs are the weak point and quite possibly the hangers are too short. Another thing to think about is the TT's CCC. How much is it and how much stuff do you load in the TT. If you're maxed out on CCC then that will squish your springs even more. Have you weighed the TT to see where you are with weight?

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Not right. Would re-mounting the axle under the spring help?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely not right on a new trailer. Even though dealer/mfgr. should repair, get a second opinion at a truck spring shop.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it to a truck/spring place and have them check it out. The dealer may not be capable.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
There is definitely a problem and now an issue with the frame. As stated above, the manufacturer may have used the wrong axles and springs. They could have also installed the wrong hangers. There is no way, under normal usage, that the "U" bolts should ever hit the frame.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Need a different spring arc or longer hangers and a bumper.
Post a pic for best suggestions.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No not normal at all.
The first thing I would suspect is that it has the wrong axles under it. I've read of that happening before. There should be a silver tag around the axle with its ratings. I would make sure the info on the tag matches the sticker on the trailer.
The next thing I would look for is broken leafs. Look for rusty marks on the springs.

Good luck with your dealer,
Scott