cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

backup camera?

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to install a backup camera on the TT and hook it up to the existing display screen on the dash of a 2012 Ram 3500
9 REPLIES 9

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:

Nice. The original system allowing you to switch video feeds in the cab is definitely preferable to crawling under the tailgate.

But I have the same Ford in-mirror video display and would like to use it. Did you use the same after-market camera as in the first install for that? Did you just splice in a new RCA connector to the feed for the trailer?

The camera on the travel trailer, image in both pics, is the same camera. Tow vehicle changed, kept the TT and camera.

I did simply splice an RCA connector into the existing wire harness going to the truck's backup camera. Very simple, two wires. One is a video feed, the other a ground. Just need to know which wires to tap.

An interesting thing I learned, Ford has power going to the camera ALL the time, not just when in reverse. Only goes off when the ignition key is off.

Just remember the camera for the travel trailer needs to come with a reversed image. Readily available online, including eBay.

And since I remove the tailgate when hauling the golf cart, the tailgate camera goes with it. I take a cheap license plate camera (also eBay item), and connect it to the truck's camera wiring harness when not connected to the trailer.

The wiring diagram for the F150 is here: http://2manytoyz.com/xterra/camera/f150cameramod3.jpg

Definitely a DIY project once you have the diagram.

I "could" simply cut the connector going to my tailgate camera, extend it, and add another connector. This way I wouldn't have to climb under the truck to disconnect the cable going to the tailgate. Yet another project for another day!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:
First, here's how I setup my previous tow vehicle with a backup camera, and how I added a backup camera to the travel trailer:

http://www.2manytoyz.com/backupcam.html

My F150 has a built-in backup camera and monitor built into the mirror. I didn't want to put an external monitor on top of the existing one.

A little research on the Ford forums and I found the wiring diagram for my specific vehicle. I tapped into the video camera feed lines going to the tailgate camera, and added an external video connector.

I use the OEM camera when hitching. Once coupled, I disconnect the tailgate camera, and plug the video feed cable from the TT to the new connector I added.

Nice. The original system allowing you to switch video feeds in the cab is definitely preferable to crawling under the tailgate.

But I have the same Ford in-mirror video display and would like to use it. Did you use the same after-market camera as in the first install for that? Did you just splice in a new RCA connector to the feed for the trailer?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
First, here's how I setup my previous tow vehicle with a backup camera, and how I added a backup camera to the travel trailer:

http://www.2manytoyz.com/backupcam.html

My F150 has a built-in backup camera and monitor built into the mirror. I didn't want to put an external monitor on top of the existing one.

A little research on the Ford forums and I found the wiring diagram for my specific vehicle. I tapped into the video camera feed lines going to the tailgate camera, and added an external video connector.

I use the OEM camera when hitching. Once coupled, I disconnect the tailgate camera, and plug the video feed cable from the TT to the new connector I added. Here's the result:

In the reflection of the mirror, you can see the camper still hitched, but in the monitor, you can see what's behind the trailer.

A few downsides with mine. The monitor window is small, but functional. I have to climb under the back of the truck to disconnect the OEM camera cable. The monitor is only active when in reverse (I might tap into the monitor trigger wire to fix that).

Compare that to the size of the aftermarket mirror/monitor I had on my last tow vehicle:

Again, the camper was connected. What you see is another vehicle parked behind our trailer. The same video camera on the trailer was used in both pictures.

And I even used an external monitor when the aftermarket mirror one failed after years of use.

I still have this one, and considering using it. Far better resolution than the built-in monitor, and can be connected to 2 cameras at once. Simply push a button to switch between views. Easy to have it powered up all the time. The shifter is offset in this pic, and wasn't in the way for the driver, especially once in gear. The downside is it takes up valuable room.

Good luck with your project. It certainly IS doable. Just need to find the wiring diagram for your vehicle. Be sure to disconnect the existing camera when using the TT camera.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I would contact a local car audio installer and ask them about adding a camera to the factory A/V head unit. There is a YouTube video from an installer that added an aftermarket camera to a 2014 1500 Ram with the factory head unit so it maybe possible. If you can get access to the back of the head unit, look for A/V (RCA) inputs....if they are there, that would be an easy DIY install. I'd also recommend a wired unit. Lots of threads here with complaints on interference from wireless units where the camera is just too far away to get a good signal.

GOAL is a good idea but if you get into CG where there are kids running around, a back up camera is a good safety feature.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Stormpeakco
Explorer
Explorer
If it doesn't work out, there are newer (w/ improved range) digital wireless rearview (full time) kits that utilize your existing newer generation smartphone (android or i-pos) as the monitor.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I just now noticed that you said "the existing screen" in your two vehicle. I doubt that it would be easy to hook into a "proprietary system" although not impossible.

And yes, GOAL is always the best advice, but sometimes you need to do what you gotta do!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
The back up camera is a good aid but not the end all. I have one and use it as it helps on the blind side when backing. I have found that the wireless type don't always work at the distance from TT bumper to tow vehicle cab. Mine is wired; no problems.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Learn GOAL (GET OUT and LOOK) You'll be watching it and back into something with your TV.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is.

Do you have marker lights on the center or to the sides of your trailer (which is basically mandatory) if should be a cinch to wire in a wireless backup camera!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!