Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries died...sheesh

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,

In less than 5 years the batteries the dealer sold us for our AF990 died.

I had been very careful with them as I learned the hard way at our cabin years ago. Keept the camper plugged in unless putting it away for mo the (rare) and turned off the main switch to disconnect when it was 'put away' with topped off Batts. Never drained them down etc.

The. had the wind blow out my lp pilot on a 2hrish drive and and when I arrived then batts were drained to 10.9v.

Knowing that cut remaining cycle life in half it charged them back up but I was wrong. They have very little life left in them now.

So time to replace.

ot looking to spend $700+ on Li Batts and associated charger upgrades which I assume I'd need.

Thinking maybe gel cells.
Thoughts?
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
30 REPLIES 30

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
jimh406 wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
So if you spend $225 +/- on new batteries and they lasts 5 years, if you spend $700 (3 times as much) on li batteries will they last 15 years (3 times longer) - or be 3 times better?

There is no guarantee of either lasting that long. I think the main reason to be LI or other technologies is the ability to discharge to a much lower rate. If you need that, it would be a reason.

I think the main reasond for switching to LiFePo4 is well three things, less weight, smaller size and way more capacity. your right, to get good life spans (or number of cycles) out of the batteries you will still need to take care of it no matter what type you go with, but if treated properly you can get probably 10 times the life as the cheep ones rv's come with and 5 to 8 times the life of a good GC2.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
emcvay wrote:
Thanks All.

Turns out these were NAPA 8279s which are supposed to be a decent battery. Can't tell the AH rating but I think 60AH based on the rated 150mins and converting to hours and multiplying by 25amps to get a base.

Thou some say these are 90ah Batts.

I've seen some 100ah Batts on Amazon that people like Weise I think, for under $200ea but am not apposed to spending $300ea locally so will go to Costco 1st then maybe a battery store.

cant complain about 5 years out of thoes batteries, you must have taken care of them. if you want to step up a bit in life your moving to GC2 batteries (built with thicker plates and such) which may last longer depending how you use them, or going to LiFeP04 and same. you still need to take care of them.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased my 990 back in June of 2018 ( 2019 model ).
My battery's started having issues as far as holding a charge about a year ago, Got 3 years out of em.

Since I have solar panels on the roof I went with some LiFePO4 battery cells and now have 560ahr's of capacity.
Also installed a 3k Inverter back where my generator is kept and rarely use it anymore.
With the storage capacity I have now using the micro or coffee machine is no problem.
Using the AC for a short period of time works to but not all day.
Hell I can even charge up my E-Mtn bike battery without running the generator.
Cost a bit to do but opens up alot more options as far as using power is concerned.
Good job on those Costco battery's.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
So if you spend $225 +/- on new batteries and they lasts 5 years, if you spend $700 (3 times as much) on li batteries will they last 15 years (3 times longer) - or be 3 times better?

There is no guarantee of either lasting that long. I think the main reason to be LI or other technologies is the ability to discharge to a much lower rate. If you need that, it would be a reason.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
emcvay wrote:
So stopped by Costco and their Interstate battery replacement for the napa with slightly more RC was a whopping $90ea....ah, no Brainer! Bought two.

Add a modest solar charging system.

I would have purchased sio2 batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
batteries are something each rv,er has to figure out, just how much are you going to use them.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
So stopped by Costco and their Interstate battery replacement for the napa with slightly more RC was a whopping $90ea....ah, no Brainer! Bought two.
2019 AF990

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
6Vs are a nice upgrade in capacity. For a reasonable price.
However if your newer AF is like the older ones, the battery compartment is too short for GC2s without removing the tray.
Although I found some shorter sealed 200ah 6v a couple years ago. Flush top post that worked well. Mighty max. $219 ea on Scamazon. They fit with the sliding tray.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
some where some body said theres only three companies that make battries, but theres hundreds of stickers

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the spring I will be replacing our battery's with Renogy 100 amp hr AGM battery's for around $200. each, I have had good luck with all the products they make.

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All.

Turns out these were NAPA 8279s which are supposed to be a decent battery. Can't tell the AH rating but I think 60AH based on the rated 150mins and converting to hours and multiplying by 25amps to get a base.

Thou some say these are 90ah Batts.

I've seen some 100ah Batts on Amazon that people like Weise I think, for under $200ea but am not apposed to spending $300ea locally so will go to Costco 1st then maybe a battery store.
2019 AF990

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we don,t go much but its always plugged in. don,t care to spend BIG bucks for batt. we buy wal mart deep cycle marine ,there 5yrs old and still read good. two for less than$300.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a Costco membership then I would recommend simply going there and buying what fits your budget.
In my experience, they have replaced their batteries at no charge or pro-rating if one of their batteries goes bad.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most RV batteries are only have a 2 year warranty. That being said, my last set from Napa just maintenance free have about 6 years on them and are still going strong.

Lithium vs other advanced types vs AGM etc is a long discussion. I'd try a search for some of the old threads.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member