cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries - Diesel Trucks

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to solicit a few opinions on batteries. My 2015 Ram is on it's original set of batteries, so about three and a half years of use and a little under 50,000 miles. I haven't had any failures to start yet but I've noticed a couple of times after running the grid heater on cold mornings the last week or two I've had a click before I turn the key back off and then it has fired up on the second try. I assume running the heater immediately prior to starting has run the batteries down enough they are tight on having enough juice for cranking the engine,

Am I at the point I need to replace the batteries? I'm a little on the early end of what I generally consider the replacement cycle for batteries in the other vehicles I've owned. I wondered with two batteries if I'd actually get a little extra life, but on the other hand it is cranking a bigger engine and running the grid heater.

Opinions?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
56 REPLIES 56

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The important thing that IdaD stated in his original post was replacing BATTERIES (Plural)! This is one time a diesel cost more in maintenance than a gasser.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2015 Ram and just replaced the batteries at 3 1/2 years. I had been noticing starts were a little draggy. First cold morning (40 deg), I was dead, so replaced them. That said, I only have a short drive to work of about 5 miles each ways so they probably don't get fully charged as well as they should. My last truck was a 2004 Duramax. I only got 3 or so years with these batteries as well.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I got seven years out of my original batteries and the same on the 01 Dodge it replaced, so I decided to replace them with OEM batteries.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Larry-D wrote:
2015 3500 CTD with 52k miles no problem with the batteries, so far. Probably just jinxed it.

Mine acted very strange when the batteries were older. When cold, I would get a rythmic discharge cycling on my V meter about 5 times as fast as the grid heaters. You could see the lights dim and brighten very quickly (it was NOT the GH's). It didn't seem to hurt anything but I eventually replaced the batts and the symptom quit immediately.

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 3500 CTD with 52k miles no problem with the batteries, so far. Probably just jinxed it.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't arbitrarily replace them without first load testing them. I got 23 months on two Motorcraft batteries and they crapped out; guess the FL heat is tough on them, or MC batteries are ****. Dealership replaced them no questions asked as they were warranted for 24 months.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't arbitrarily replace them without first load testing them. I got 23 months on two Motorcraft batteries and they crapped out; guess the FL heat is tough on them, or MC batteries are ****. Dealership replaced them no questions asked as they were warranted for 24 months.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Bedlam
The Powerstroke in my Ford ran on the same batteries for 7 years before they started getting weak. The TDI in my VW ran on the same battery for 12 years before needing replacement. In both I used a trickle solar panel when they were parked but my current Cummins Ram batteries are maintained by my camper solar setup.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
The batteries on my 2003 Ram were 7 years old when I changed them. We were going on a big trip and figured that was a worthy investment. The batteries in my 2012 were still going strong when I switched to my 2014. The 2014 is a Longhorn and has just about every option you could have in that year. Well in 2016 batteries went bad. Found out this is not uncommon as many of those computer operated items are always draining power. Went to Wally World an got 2 new ones. I live in a warm climate and travel in warm climates. Batteries can be a **** shoot.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
High heat is worse than extreme cold on batteries and temperate weather is the best, but yeah, I’d just get them load tested and then go from there.
From the interwebs , seems like the newer trucks eatbatteries more.
Wonder if it is more likely withthose who’s trucks sit a lot between uses and the parasitic draw on the batteries.
Experienced that with a fleet of trucks waaay up north. We stranded probably 50 trucks and another 100 pieces of various Const equipment for the summer, for about 6 months.
Had 15-20 brand new 2014 Rams with literally 100-200 mi on them and ALL of them were dead as a doornail and some wouldn’t take a charge. 70-80% of the rest of the equipment fired right up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Son just replaced his on his 2015 with 88k, we ordered our trucks at the same time mine are fine.

He said there was a bit of corrosion that was not visible before removing terminals.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Sons 2012 ctd lasted 4 years in very high heat. You could load test them today and have them fail next week. In fact the last thing they probably need as they age is getting slammed with a load test.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the first step is getting them tested although I had a shop told me the battery on my wife's Pilot was just fine after it wouldn't start so I'm not sure how valid the testing might be. I imagine my climate is pretty tough on batteries because it literally ranges from triple digits in the summer to below zero in the winter. It still seems early for them to be struggling, though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
Murphy's law. My batteries lasted 6 years on 2010 Ram ctd 45k mi. Went to start it a month after open heart surgery and dead. Tried to jump start it. When it started, it had check engine lite, stuck in 4th gear 68rfe, and hvac trouble codes. A nightmare!! The cables were so short I couldn't get them off until I loosened battery mounts at fenderwells also. I went with agm from O'Reilly's since optima does not make batteries with terminals reversed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Old batterys can short internally and leave you sitting. Can't even jump them then. I've had this happen twice over the years.
I replace mine at 5~6 years because i don't want my family stranded out in the boonies someplace.